Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Savage 1893 Model .30-30 Lever Action, Serial Number 272038. Any information (date of mfg. etc.) would be appreciated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Savage 1893 Model .30-30 Lever Action, Serial Number 272038. Any information (date of mfg. etc.) would be appreciated.

I have a Savage 1893 Model .30-30 Lever Action, Serial Number 272038. Any information (date of mfg. etc.) would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think there is such a gun. Read the markings again.

Comment

I take that back, there is one made in .303Savage but it's not yours, serial #'s don't jive and it's so valuable you'd have a heart attact.

Comment

You probably have a model 99 that was manufactured in 1893. If this is the case, you gun is worth at least $600, but its probably higher, I just don't know how much higher without looking at it.

Comment

How do I get a hold of Jim in Mo who answered my question about the Savage 1893?

Comment

I'm here. What's up?
            I won't be back on till 4pm.

Comment

Would you explain what my serial number calls for. I'm sure of the markings, "272038", "Savage Hi-Pressure Steel .30-30", "Savage 1893 Model", Thanks.

Comment

The more I search the more I think you have a Marlin Model 1893 Rifle or 1893 carbine. These carry some nice prices of $2750-$350 depending on model and condition.
                Don't be confused by the Marlin name, they have been in and out of bed with Savage for some time.
                If indeed yours is a Savage, my guess would be its a Model 1899, and similar prices.

Comment

I forgot to add these were manufactured from 1893-1936

Comment

Jim, Savage did order a series of barrels from Marlin for their 1899 model, he probably has a Savage gun with a Marlin barrel on it. If this is the case he most likely has a Savage Model 1899.

Comment

If its a Marlin Model 1899 why does the barrel have Savage 1893 Model written on it.

Comment

Sawdust, I don't know what to tell ya, I have done a fair amount of research on this and the only caliber I have seen for the Savage 1893 is the 303 Savage. I was only able to find a .30-30 in the model 1899. Your gun is a Savage, it's just that your barrel may have been manufactured by Marlin. Savage only had Marlin manufacture barrels for the 1899. Hell, as far as I know, your gun barrel may have been stamped with an incorrect date and was ment to say 1899 rather than 1893.

Comment

The Marlin 1893 was chambered in .25-36(rifle), 30-30, .32Spl, 32-40WCLcal, or .38-55, the later four made for rifle or carbine.

Comment

I can't explain your barrel stamping either other than to say the basis for these rifles was a patent date of Feb. 7, 1893.

Comment

A gunshop owner, in the area,took one look at my "Savage model 1893" and instantly said it's a 1899.
                              He explained that Savage had trouble with the barrel stamping die clogging and not transferring the front of the 9 therefore, it looks like a 3. Sounds logical to me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by PigHunter
                                I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                                Today, 02:16 PM
                              • Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                                Today, 12:21 PM
                              • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                                by fitch270
                                I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                                Today, 01:40 PM
                              • 300 yard .22lr
                                by jhjimbo
                                Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                                Today, 11:28 AM
                              • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                                Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X