Hornady precision hunter ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
    Oh yeah, Hornady and bug-hole groups don’t belong in the same conversation. My opinion anyways! 🤣
    I've never been able to get Hornady ammo or bullets to shoot for beans. Winchester ammo and Sierra bullets have always given me the best accuracy and performance.

Comment

Here's what I'm getting with Hornady ammo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Creedmoor 2017_10_13 Hornady 143gr.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	799440

Comment

Nice group, PH. Not saying none of the Hornady stuff shoots well, I just know that their 7mm Wby Interbond and .30-06 loads I tried didn’t shoot for chit. I almost sent the 7mm down the road on accounta.

Comment

Nice group, PH. Not saying none of the Hornady stuff shoots well, I just know that their 7mm Wby Interbond and .30-06 loads I tried didn’t shoot for chit. I almost sent the 7mm down the road on accounta.
          Thanks, that nice group was more about the rifle than me. I'm just average when it comes to marksmanship. On the same day, I tried the 129gr factory load. It uses the I-Lock bullet and didn't seem to be as consistent. Here's the results:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Creedmoor 2017_10_13 Hornady 129gr.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	799514

I'm using the Hornady factory loads in my .45-70 with the 325gr FTX and they are also accurate - 3 shots touching at 100 yards from my Handi-Rifle. However, my accuracy requirements in Alabama are not as tight as those required for Western hunters. Minute-of-deer at 100 yards is adequate most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Thanks, that nice group was more about the rifle than me. I'm just average when it comes to marksmanship. On the same day, I tried the 129gr factory load. It uses the I-Lock bullet and didn't seem to be as consistent. Here's

I'm using the Hornady factory loads in my .45-70 with the 325gr FTX and they are also accurate - 3 shots touching at 100 yards from my Handi-Rifle. However, my accuracy requirements in Alabama are not as tight as those required for Western hunters. Minute-of-deer at 100 yards is adequate most of the time.
            My experience was not with the newer precision hunter loads offered these days. 3 shots touching at any range is good ammo/shooting! Hornady Interlock 150 and 165’s shoot just fine in my .308 handloads. I’ll likely use my .257 Roberts and .308 on my buddy’s Bibb Co. property and 6.5-300 and 7mm Wby on the Walker Co. lease where there are some big clear cuts. My ‘06 is not set up for long range shooting and .300 Wby is a bit much for deer, I think. Cheers

Comment

Oh yeah, Hornady and bug-hole groups don’t belong in the same conversation. My opinion anyways! 🤣
              I have found that to be just the opposite in my experience with the bullets, and with their TAP, Match, and Precision Hunter ammunition.

Comment

I use the ELD-X in other cartridges but have such a great set of 25-06 bullets that I don't use it on them. I see a lot of it on the range because of its accuracy and I use it in several other .224 to .264 caliber cartridges. I consider that bullet to be the most accurate hunting bullet available aside from custom made competition bullets. It is also deadly on game from 10 yards to the maximum range for the cartridge. My buddy game-tested the ELD-X with his 6mm ARC over the last two years. He shot 8 deer with it between 300 and 350 yards. All dropped in their tracks and never moved. In the 25-06, it will be devastating. It will do that out to 500 on deer.

The ELD-X bullets is a great one. It is accurate enough to be used by long range competition shooters and it imparts more energy on deer sized game than any bullet made from zero yards to max range. The problem will be "Does it shoot well in your rifle?" The velocity of that ammo may not match the harmonics of your specific rifle.

I would certainly buy a box to try and for most white tail hunting I would trust it enough to buy all six boxes considering how tough good ammo is to get nowadays. By that I mean, that if it only shoots half inch groups, you can still shoot whitetails out to 500 yards just fine.

Comment

Hornady 6.5 PRC factory ammo at 1015 yards with a buddy of mine shooting it at his ranch. 3-shot group around 3.5"

I used the same ammo and shot my cow under 375 yards with it this past fall.

Two different boxes of Hornady factory ammo out of the same 15" rear-grip 223 Remington XP-100. two 3-shot groups, off of the bench using a Harris bipod.

In fairness, I will say with a custom rifle I was doing a write-up for Eastman's a number of years ago, that rifle pretty much hated the Hornady factory ammo that came with it.
                  I loaded up one moderate load with a 162 A-Max, and seat the seating depth to where it would function in the internal magazine, and my first 3-shot group was just over a 1/4" at 100 yards.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ernie ... factory ammo at 1015 yards... [/QUOTE
                    The ELD-X is a very good bullet as long as the factory loading matches your rifle well enough. That is some mighty fine shooting there Ernie.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad