Changing it yp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing it yp

During these last few years with Covid-19 pandemic and the surge in firearms sales we experienced a heck of an ammo shortage. I can’t speak for the rest of you guy but I definitely felt it. Trying to get my hands on 223, 243, .308, 270, 30-06, 45-70, and any of the Weatherby (257,270, 300) ammo at times was no easy task. I found myself having to put down my favorite rifle and pick up my 6.5 Grendel because somehow I was able to find it more then the other more popular calibers that are used for deer hunting. With that said did anyone of guy do the same. Did you choose to try something different because it was easier to find or didn’t you have enough sense to stockpile ammo prior to all rush on ammo really hit. If so what did you guys use other then the rifles chambered in the calibers that you would regularly hunt with?

I had a stockpile of ammo and didn't change anything for hunting. However, I'm low on factory loads for the 6.5 CM. I have plenty of components for loading.

Comment

I had enough 7mm-08 to get through ok but it is becoming hens teeth to get so I picked up a 308. 308 stayed common around here during the shortage. 350 Legend & 6mm Creedmoor was in stacks everywhere as well but I didn't care for the Winchester rifle the 350 was chambered in. (Only choice). I've got 4 full boxes of 243 Federal Fusions so I dug out the old model 7 and it is up to bat this year with the 308 on deck unless 7-08 falls into my lap. Not really settling with either though.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2793.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	798947 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2833.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	573.8 KB
ID:	798948 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2795.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	667.6 KB
ID:	798949

Comment

Thankfully, I have a small stock of everything I need as far as hunting goes, i just can't step out to the range and "plink for pleasure".
        Same with components. I've got enough to keep me hunting a long time, just no fun gunning like in the past.

I went for a sight in session with one rifle. About 6 or 7 rounds, I couldn't get it to "gee 'n haw", so I just put it up and grabbed a different rifle/caliber.
        Since I'm only deer hunting, whatever caliber, except .22 LR is sufficient.

5.56/.223
        6.8mm
        .30-30

9mm
        .38 Spl
        .40 S&W
        .41 Mag

12 & 16 slugs and buckshot
        .410 ammo is available....in 2.5"!
        I have turned the world upside down for .410 3" #9's.
        Lot'sa 2.5".... NO 3"!

Biden asked the Lake City Arsenal to cut back on production. Then the IRS bought several million dollars worth of 9mm ammo!

FJB

Comment

I'm still searching several times a week and buying components whenever I find them. Finding primers and powder have been my biggest issues although I barely found enough bullets to keep shooting. I am squeaking by with Varget but bought 8 pounds of Shooter's World Precision Rifle powder as an alternate for all my cartridges that depend on Varget. Initial testing of that powder is looking real good. It seems to be as accurate as Varget and I see some every six months or so.

I haven't been able to acquire enough 105g Berger Hybrids to keep my 6mm Dasher fed but I found 500 Hornady 105g BTHP Match bullets that are shooting really well. I had to shut down my 25 Creedmoor for lack of 131g to 135g bullets. I've been shooting a lot more 6.5 CM and .223 for long range target shooting because I've been able to find a few good long range bullets for them. I've pretty much stopped shooting my magnum rifles (.300 Dakota, .375 H&H) and even my 30-06 class cartridges to conserve powder. I'm having fun with the .223 and testing 80g to 88g bullets for 600-1000 yard precision. It's been fun and cheap to shoot.

I'm also looking at golf clubs and golf balls. I'm finding that there seems to be no shortage of them, prices have been pretty stable and hitting them straight seems to be a challenge. I just hope that the homicidal maniacs don't start killing school kids with 5 irons until I get mine.

Comment

I’ve been savings my Money like a mad man and I’m fixing to go on a buying spree soon. I don’t feel like prices will adjust for a long time. So I’d better just get used to it. I think I found my 25-06 Barnes vortx ammo for about 50 a box once I check that it’s true I’m probably going to buy a thousand dollars worth maybe more. Then vacuum seal with desiccant a case or more I currently have 6-8 boxes but I don’t want to have retire my rifle for lack of ammo. My wife thinks I’m nuts she should be used to that by now. In not in the market for another rifle just because I can’t find ammo. I have the .270 and the 30-30 and I have more than enough for those if need be and I have a muzzleloader so if I really need a deer rifle I have one available. I should add I’m not shooting any of my pistols but .22 I can’t hack 17.99 for 9mm when not to awful long ago it was 9.99. Lucky for me I have a friend who can’t manage money and he sold me 2 50 cal ammo cans full of 9mm for 200 bucks cans included. He’s got a couple of Remington 1100s I’m waiting for him to get really desperate and I will have those. I will give him fair market money and give him 90 days to get them back. They were his grandfathers and his dad id rather get them from him than some pawn shop. Hell I’d probably let him buy them back any time. Years ago someone did me a favor like that so I owe someone the same thing. Karma is a mother trucker if you are an a-hole. Sorry rambling.
            Last edited by Milldawg; 06-25-2022, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I vacuum seal ammo for long term storage. I also vacuum pack medical supplies in my Medic bag..

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                I vacuum seal ammo for long term storage. I also vacuum pack medical supplies in my Medic bag..
                Good idea.

Comment

I haven’t thought about vacuum packing some ammo. Seems like factory boxes or plastic ammo boxes inside ammo cans and plastic totes work just fine.

I acquired a 6.5-300 Weatherby just as the plandemic started. I managed to find a couple boxes of ammo at regular pricing before the shelf stock disappeared. I also got 50 new cases and a couple pounds of US869 to load 127 gr LRX. Factory loads now are over $5 a pop. All my other rifle calibers are sufficiently stocked. I remember Clinton and the Halfican.
                  Last edited by WA Mtnhunter; 06-26-2022, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Why a 6.5-300? At $5 that is expensive to even sight in. My .340 does not cost that much. If I had the components I think I would put them together. Won't the .300 be too fast for the 6.5 bullets? Not familiar with US869.
                    I thought about a 6.5-06 one time but have settled on the 6.5X55 which is a real killing machine.

Comment

There are some good size flea markets where firearms are bought and sold (among residents), as well as any kind of ammo you are looking for - if you are willing to pay although they are coming down some. Blazer 9mm 114gr, brass cases were $17.00

Comment

Bill Cunningham coming on WLW700.

Comment

I was and am able to cruise some of the shooting forums and pick up so key components , scopes and rifles. One site in particular has be great with vetted members . I also have a great gun shop that has many things I need , I have been their customer since before I was old enough to by firearms , my mother dragging three sons to buy guns and ammo. Some powders are near impossible to find such as Reloader 25 and 26 , varget was hard for a while now I see it occasionally .

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                            I was and am able to cruise some of the shooting forums and pick up so key components , scopes and rifles. One site in particular has be great with vetted members . I also have a great gun shop that has many things I need , I have been their customer since before I was old enough to by firearms , my mother dragging three sons to buy guns and ammo. Some powders are near impossible to find such as Reloader 25 and 26 , varget was hard for a while now I see it occasionally .
                            Picked up two 5 rounds boxes of 16 gauge Home buck and two 5 round boxes of 16 gauge slugs off another site.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                              I still need to make a road trip……

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad