The Accuracy Doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Accuracy Doctor

F.. Mann was a Dr. who collaborated with Adolph Nieder and Harry Pope to research what caused accuracy in a bullet.
    He had a two-hundred-yard cloth tunnel to shoot through and hung sheets of paper on the inside all the way down .
    He died in 1916, but not before making some first of their kind bullet accuracy conclusions. Shooting, April 2022

We've come a long way in the last 120 years or so. I often wonder whether bullets will ever get any better than they are now. For long range precision, I buy the best bullets I can find and I do multiple sorts on them so that each bullet in a group is exactly the same. I'm looking forward to manufacturers doing that to save time. I think Hornady is the closest to it with their A-Tip bullet which is shipped in the exact sequence that it came off the bullet swaging machine. The probability of bullets being the same is pretty high with that technique but I haven't measured, weighed and sorted any of those yet.

I was a little surprised when I recently sorted 200 Hornady ELD-Match bullets. The weight variance on the lot was 0.3g with 125 bullets weighing exactly the same. The maximum base-to-ogive variance was 0.003. I ended up with about 70 that were exactly the same in weight, base-to-ogive and overall length. I haven't shot them yet so I don't know iif they will be accurate but I suspect they will.

I know I just showed this target the other day on another thread but it is indicative of the state of the art in bullet precision. This is a 1000 yard target using sorted .243 caliber Berger Hybrid bullets. It was shot with my high precision 6mm Dasher target rifle. I was zeroing my scope at 1000 yards and shot the top five shots in relatively still wind so they are more indicative of bullet precision. I then lowered the reticle 0.2 MOA and shot the remaining 4 bullets in that bullet sort. Unfortunately, the cross wind came up to 7-10 mph on the last four shots and I misjudged the wind drift on those four shots. The lower four shots are indicative of the state of my shooting rather than the state of bullet precision.

Note the top "still-wind" group was around 0.25 MOA and that is not too bad for a bullet's precision. Note also that by sorting my bullets, my vertical dispersion was pretty good. That is, the force of gravity had almost the same drop effect on every bullet. The last four shots were within an inch of the same vertical drop. Please keep in mind that my rifle's precision, my scope's precision and, above all, my shooting precision are all below the precision of these bullets. Therefore, I think the bullets are pretty accurate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Thousand yard Dasher.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	798784
    Last edited by DakotaMan; 06-19-2022, 10:59 AM.

Comment

How high would a bullet be at say 50yds? What is your drop at 1000 ? Does the bullet keep it's rpm longer ?

I have an analytical balance accurate to .o1gr. I have weighed bullets for years and grouped them by .1gr. Some mfg's are better than others.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        How high would a bullet be at say 50yds? What is your drop at 1000 ? Does the bullet keep it's rpm longer ?

I have an analytical balance accurate to .o1gr. I have weighed bullets for years and grouped them by .1gr. Some mfg's are better than others.
        The 105g bullet on this target is zeroed for 100 yards so it will be 0.4" low at 50 yards and drop 26.7 MOA at 1000 yards. With identical bullets (delivering almost identical ballistic coefficients) you can see that the drop is pretty consistent. The time of flight to 1000 yards is only 1.42 seconds so its RPM won't degrade much in that distance. With an 8 twist barrel, it is spinning well over 250,000 RPM at the muzzle.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad