Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
    Much better Jimbo.
    Rem 742 gas block Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20220125_00_45_00_Pro.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	790500

Comment

Both barrels I have cleaned have small pock marks in the groves for the entire length. No rust stains, just the pocks. Is that from the button being pulled through ? Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        Both barrels I have cleaned have small pock marks in the groves for the entire length. No rust stains, just the pocks. Is that from the button being pulled through ? Any ideas?
        Yes, it is from chatter from the rifling button. If they lapped the barrel, that would be gone. If it isn't too bad, it will wear away from shooting. It catches copper and carbon so it makes the rifle harder to clean and it catches more fouling than a smooth bore.

Comment

Yes, it is from chatter from the rifling button. If they lapped the barrel, that would be gone. If it isn't too bad, it will wear away from shooting. It catches copper and carbon so it makes the rifle harder to clean and it catches more fouling than a smooth bore.
          This is the Win Mod '94, 30-30. After the chrome I went over again twice with J_B. I think these groves were cut in the lands on purpose, they look like done with a rotary tool. - they go the entire length. Beginning of lands (right) and lands at muzzle (left) look good.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20220126_17_27_09_Pro.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	790598 Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20220126_17_26_35_Pro.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	790599 Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20220126_17_26_12_Pro.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	790600 Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20220126_17_24_14_Pro.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	790601

Comment

[QUOTE=jhjimbo;n790597] This is the Win Mod '94, 30-30. /QUOTE]
            It came nice and clean and looks good. If you buy a premium barrel, it won't have the chatter marks on the rifling. It's not too bad though and when your average shot is probably 70 yards, it is fine. Cleaning of most 30-30s isn't an issue either as they usually get shot about 2-5 rounds per year.

Comment

[QUOTE=DakotaMan;n790607]
              Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              This is the Win Mod '94, 30-30. /QUOTE]
              It came nice and clean and looks good. If you buy a premium barrel, it won't have the chatter marks on the rifling. It's not too bad though and when your average shot is probably 70 yards, it is fine. Cleaning of most 30-30s isn't an issue either as they usually get shot about 2-5 rounds per year.
              You don't think those marks were made with a circular tool ?

Comment

I think when I take these rifles to the range I am going to try a couple coated bullets. On a shop towel, spread a thin layer and roll a bullet in it when ready to fire. It I tried that with Mobil 1 to see if it improved velocity or ease of cleaning. I also tried it with molybdenum. What I am thinking now is some J-B, maybe followed by chrome.

Comment

[QUOTE=jhjimbo;n790613]

You don't think those marks were made with a circular tool ?
                  I don't think so Jimbo. The rifling tool chatters on its way down the bore. In premium barrels, lapping eliminates these tool marks. Notice that the original pics I showed of the Valkyrie barrel had excessive chatter marks and even drag marks from the rifling cutter.

Comment

I see that. I broke one of my angled mirrors. Do you think replacements are available. I tried to adjust the angle and it started to tear.
                    I have finished a few rifles and started on my Weatherby .300 and with one pass with J-B just about did it. That rifle I bought new and followed Weatherby procedure for break in so apparently it does not collect a lot of copper or residue.
                    Last edited by jhjimbo; 01-29-2022, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Weatherby .300WbyMag Click image for larger version

Name:	Weatherby lock lug.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	790910 Click image for larger version

Name:	Wby muzzle.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	790911 Click image for larger version

Name:	Weatherby .300mag.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	790912 Lands, Lock lug, muzzle. Interesting how you can see the free bore. This has about 500rds so it is just getting broke in.

Comment

I finished the Rem 7400, 30-06 (with the hole) and the Weatherby Mk V in .300WbyMag. Of the half dozen barrels I have looked at so far, the Weatherby is by far the nicest finished rifling.
                        Top 3 are Wby muzzle, rifling and free bore. Bottom 4 are Remington 7400

Here are some pi Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20220131_22_47_52_Pro.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	790965 Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20220131_22_47_30_Pro.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	790966 Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20220131_22_47_20_Pro.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	790967 Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20220131_22_46_59_Pro.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	790968 Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20220131_22_46_09_Pro.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	790969 Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20220131_22_44_43_Pro.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	790970 Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20220131_22_43_48_Pro.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	790971 cs.

Comment

Wow! Everything is nice and clean. It's hard to see but it looks like the Weatherby might have rounded crown edges on the rifling. If that is the case, it might be a bit uneven. Can't really tell in this picture. I suspect you can get another mirror for your scope but have never done it myself. My bore scope has really helped me understand how to clean rifles better.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad