40 Rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 Rifles

Between Winchester and Browning and others, 40 rifles are chambered for the 6.8 Western. Question is, will the 6.8 surpass the 6.5 CM in popularity (it does in perfomance) ?

jimbo, compare the 6.8mm Western to the .270 Wby Mag. ....or the .270 WSM.

6.8mm = .277"

https://youtu.be/0fY3a1EhsTc
    FirstBubba
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 12-02-2021, 11:59 AM.

Comment

IMO it will never start to surpass the 6.5 Creed, simply because the Creed is used for varminting, steel shooting matches (PRS/NRL), some in F-Open, and in hunting.
      The 6.8 Western is simply a hunting round, that will cater Primarily to factory ammo shooters who love the 27 caliber for hunting. It is the 27 caliber almost twin to what the 6.5 PRC is, as both work in short actions. The 6.5 PRC will always be more popular than the 6.8 Western.

Comment

General question: What can either a 6.8 Western or the muchly overrated and over hyped 6.5 Creed do, that a .30-'06 Springfield cannot? Or, for that matter, even a .25-06 Remington, or .270 Winchester.
        Answer: More fodder for gun writers to blather about, and for real world performance on game, nothing.

Comment

It will have the same real world performance as a 270 Win Ackley Improved would, just in a short action. Animal can't tell the difference

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter

Nope and wrong on the 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creed kills them just as dead as the .30-06, 25-06, and 270 but with much less recoil. I've used both the .30-06 and the Creed and that's my take. Also, the Creed is inherently more accurate than the .30-06 simply because of case design. Why do we need to keep going on and on about this?
            'on't know? Why?

Comment

I don't see why the 6.8 western came on the scene when there is already a plethera of really capable 7mm's

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                I don't see why the 6.8 western came on the scene when there is already a plethera of really capable 7mm's
                It's there because somebody, somewhere, made a business decision that the 6.8mm Western would sell.
                "Tell production to build a hundred of these! It's gonna be the next hottest thing!"

Same thing with the 8mm Rem Mag. It was supposed to be "THE" ultimate elk rifle.
                Might be an elk killing dude, but the recoil is unbelievable!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D3D7E5C0-4C16-44CC-AB32-01B5CD3E359C.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	786507

Click image for larger version

Name:	C78BDD75-48C8-4B17-BB98-E4FD8BF3DA6C.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	786508

I’d happily drive both if I could afford them.

Comment

From PigHunter: "Nope and wrong on the 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creed kills them just as dead as the .30-06, 25-06, and .270 but with much less recoil. I've used both the .30-06 and the Creed and that's my take. Also, the Creed is inherently more accurate than the .30-06 simply because of case design. Why do we need to keep going on and on about this?"

I will grant you the point on the recoil on the .270, which I cannot stand. Never shot one that didn't kick like a pissed off mule. However, the recoil of a .30-'06, .25-06 and the over hyped 6.5 C/M are so close, as to be indistinguishable. Maybe a slight bit more from the .30, depending on stock design, recoil pad, and weight.
                    Then, there is the accuracy question. I have never had any problem with the accuracy from either the .30 or .25-06, but, I don't shoot benchrest, and I don't shoot 1000 yd. shots. For deer, elk, antelope, hogs , bear, etc. either of those calibers has enough accuracy, range and wallop to get the job done.
                    I just don't believe the 6.5 C/M is as great as it's hype, and certainly not good enough for me to rush out and buy one, given the calibers I already have, that fairly well cover the spectrum from prairie dogs to grizzly bears.

Comment

"All the hype" about the 6.5 CM is the same "hype" that gives us Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge. Remington, Winchester, Savage and Ruger.

It's all about what the shooter wants and believes.
                      I think it the 6.5CM is as capable of taking North American game as the next caliber, but like '06, I'm not going to run out and buy one. My .308, .30-30, .270 and 6.8mm are just as capable.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad