Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something for Everyone

Core-Lokt | Remington

It's good to see them back in business again but YIPES! How do you feel about paying $2 per bullet (including tax and shipping) for a .223 bullet? They must be making a real premium bullet now.

Comment

From DakotaMan: "How do you feel about paying $2 per bullet (including tax and shipping) for a .223 bullet?"

Is that per bullet, or a loaded round? If that is per bullet for that new ballistic tipped Core Lokt, I wonder what a box of loaded ammo will cost?
      Edit: Just went and checked the site. They are proud of their loaded ammo! Out of my price range.
      Last edited by crm3006; 10-26-2021, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
        From DakotaMan: "How do you feel about paying $2 per bullet (including tax and shipping) for a .223 bullet?"

Is that per bullet, or a loaded round? If that is per bullet for that new ballistic tipped Core Lokt, I wonder what a box of loaded ammo will cost?
        Edit: Just went and checked the site. They are proud of their loaded ammo! Out of my price range.
        Those are list prices, most stores discount them. Just before hunting seasons Remington issues rebates. I have purchased 30-06 for as little as $16 per 20 after rebate, less than the cost of brass. They do the same thing for shot shells for the bird seasons.

Comment

I just saw .300 Weatherby ammo on SPS loaded with 180 e-tip DISCOUNTED to $59.95 from $103 for Blems? I think not….

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
            I just saw .300 Weatherby ammo on SPS loaded with 180 e-tip DISCOUNTED to $59.95 from $103 for Blems? I think not….
            I bought some from Cabela's 2 years ago on sale for about that amount. Check Weatherby.com, sometime they have sales on overstock.

Comment

Is that per bullet, or a loaded round?
              That is per loaded round. I just took the $38.99 list price and assumed some tax, etc. Not long ago, these could be had for about $15 a box.

I can get Hornady 73g ELDs for 23 cents each and reload them using about 25 cents of powder and primer. The whole load will come in at less than $.50 a shot using what I consider to be a better bullet that I know is tuned to my specific rifle.

I haven't tested the new Core Lokt but I sure haven't seen them on the short or long range competition lines and they would have to go a long ways to reach the competitive and hunting impact of the ELD at both slow speeds and high speeds; at both short range and long range. The new Core Loct might be the best bullet ever but I would have to see it.

I have always considered the Rem Core Loct to be the least expensive bullet you could count on to perform well on short range (i.e. 300 yard) hunting. With their current pricing, that may no longer be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post

That is per loaded round. I just took the $38.99 list price and assumed some tax, etc. Not long ago, these could be had for about $15 a box.

I can get Hornady 73g ELDs for 23 cents each and reload them using about 25 cents of powder and primer. The whole load will come in at less than $.50 a shot using what I consider to be a better bullet that I know is tuned to my specific rifle.

I haven't tested the new Core Lokt but I sure haven't seen them on the short or long range competition lines and they would have to go a long ways to reach the competitive and hunting impact of the ELD at both slow speeds and high speeds; at both short range and long range. The new Core Loct might be the best bullet ever but I would have to see it.

I have always considered the Rem Core Loct to be the least expensive bullet you could count on to perform well on short range (i.e. 300 yard) hunting. With their current pricing, that may no longer be the case.
                They just added the tips to the CoreLokt so will have to see how they perform. I don't believe they were ever designed to be super long range, over 500yds or so speciality bullets. Jim

Comment

From DakotaMan: "I can get Hornady 73g ELDs for 23 cents each and reload them using about 25 cents of powder and primer. The whole load will come in at less than $.50 a shot using what I consider to be a better bullet that I know is tuned to my specific rifle."

Right you are, sir! Fortunately, before the supply dried up, I managed to secure a good supply of 55 gr. NBTs and Varget, along with both small and large rifle primers. My .223 and .22-250 shoot 55 gr. very well, and Varget seems to be the best powder going for that loading. Only thing I lack is magnum rifle primers for the .338 WM and the .375 H&H. Since I am not worried to much about an imminent invasion of elephants, grizzlies, or even buffalo, the loaded rounds I have on hand should be sufficient.
                  On a positive note, the last time I was in Cabela's and Academy, there seems to be a fairly good supply of the Winchester white box ammo, mostly in .223 and .308. Very few stocks of anything else except weird, off the wall calibers.

Comment

I’ll pay 50 bucks for Barnes vortx. Not 40 a box for core lokt.

Comment

D'Man, "Core Lokt" is all my dad and grampa would shoot for deer.
                      VERY reliable! You put it where it belongs (placement) and the bullet does the rest.
                      For a hunting bullet to put meat on the table, it's tough to beat.
                      But they were never meant for the shooting bench! LOL!

Ernie and me went through this earlier.
                      Us meat guys "love" accuracy!
                      Without a doubt, accuracy puts meat on the table!
                      But when I'm checking my rifle before deer season, I shoot a three round group that I measure in inches. An inch and a half group at 100 yards is sufficient.
                      You bench guys shoot 5 round groups and measure your groups in decimal points.
                      You're disappointed by a group that will tickle a meat hunter to death!

Like I told Ernie, to me, a well done steak is perfection. To a connoisseur, it's a travesty! LOL!

Comment

Right you are, sir! Fortunately, before the supply dried up, I managed to secure a good supply of 55 gr. NBTs and Varget, along with both small and large rifle primers. My .223 and .22-250 shoot 55 gr. very well, and Varget seems to be the best powder going for that loading.
                        Edited... Nosler lists their .223 NBT bullet as a varmint bullet. I've never shot a deer with it but suspect it may be too frangible for deer hunting.
                        My favorite bullet for deer in the .223 is the 55g Partition and my favorite powder for that bullet is Varget. Varget is real tough to get nowadays.
                        Last edited by DakotaMan; 10-28-2021, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Bubba, I know that many American deer hunters use the Rem Core Lokt bullets and they are fine. My dad did too. Their low price was the key reason. I believe that any decent bullet will kill a deer within 150 yards. I still remember the Winchester Silver Tip Core Lokt of the late 1960s where my dad shot a giant buck in the middle of the neck three times to put him down. None of those shots penetrated as far as the neck bone. Each shot knocked him down but he took off after each of the first two.

I've tested a lot of bullets in my deer rifles over the last 55 years and look for a combination of best accuracy and best terminal performance. I like the bullet to also provide the maximum range available for the cartridge I'm using. This is just to give me maximum opportunity on some hunts. I like the Hornady ELD as one of the most accurate at longer ranges and the best performer on terminal impact at high speed/close range as well as low speed/long range (800 yards or so).

I also shoot Berger bullets for maximum long range precision. If you want to hit an elk in the heart at 1000 yards, they make your shot pretty predictable. They are good enough to use in competition but that doesn't mean they can't hunt

I'm actually using Hornady 140g 6.5mm BTHP bullets for my deer hunting this year because I got a bunch of them cheap and they shoot 4" groups at 500 yards. I don't want to waste my good bullets in these hard times.
                          Last edited by DakotaMan; 10-28-2021, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                            Bubba, I know that many American deer hunters use the Rem Core Lokt bullets and they are fine. My dad did too. Their low price was the key reason. I believe that any decent bullet will kill a deer within 150 yards. I still remember the Silver Tip Core Lokt of the late 1960s where my dad shot a giant buck in the middle of the neck three times to put him down. None of those shots penetrated as far as the neck bone. Each shot knocked him down but he took off after each of the first two. They have improved that bullet considerably over the years and it is getting better.

I've tested a lot of bullets in my deer rifles over the last 55 years and look for a combination of best accuracy and best terminal performance. I like the bullet to also provide the maximum range available for the cartridge I'm using. This is just to give me maximum opportunity on some hunts. I like the Hornady ELD as one of the most accurate at longer ranges and the best performer on terminal impact at high speed/close range as well as low speed/long range (800 yards or so).

I also shoot Berger bullets for maximum long range precision. If you want to hit an elk in the heart at 1000 yards, they make your shot pretty predictable. They are good enough to use in competition but that doesn't mean they can't hunt

I'm actually using Hornady 140g 6.5mm BTHP bullets for my deer hunting this year because I got a bunch of them cheap and they shoot 4" groups at 500 yards. I don't want to waste my good bullets in these hard times.
                            Dakota, I don't believe Remington made Silver tips, they did make Bronz points (of which I have a 100). I think it was Winchester that made Silver tips. I and several others tried the winchester Silver tips back in the '60's and almost everyone had bad experience with them. We all eventually went back to CoreLokts.
                            On a Michigan hunt a guy came by and said he was tracking a wounded deer. He hit it with a perfect shot with a Winchester Silvertip. I joined looking with him and we never did find the deer.
                            Like the ad says, Remington CoreLokt are the most deadly mushrooms in the woods.
                            Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-27-2021, 11:29 AM.

Comment

We had hunters on a neighboring lease that only used the Winchester "Silver Tip" ammo in the late 50's, early 60's. After losing numerous deer, the entire camp swapped over to Remington "Core-Lokt" ammo and never looked back.

I've taken several deer with Core-Lokt ammo, but, once I started handloading, I believe I've taken way more with the Sierra 130 gr BTSP "Game King" bullet.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Omicron
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have heard the differential diagnosis is based on the mild temp increase up to about 101, not higher.
                                My normal temp is 97, so the 101 rule won't...
                                Today, 01:29 AM
                              • Omicron
                                by jhjimbo
                                Name for new African virus. In Greek means 'we're screwed'.
                                11-26-2021, 02:05 PM
                              • Reply to Wild or Store Bought
                                by FirstBubba
                                I can feel my jaw muscles torquing up now! Man those things are G-U-D "good"!...
                                Yesterday, 10:56 PM
                              • Wild or Store Bought
                                by jhjimbo
                                What is your preference for Turkeys ? I was at a home that cooked both and I have to say the wild turkey was very good. No white meat and very moist...
                                11-24-2021, 10:19 AM
                              • Reply to Books for Christmas
                                by FirstBubba
                                If anyone is a true outdoors "person", any Peter Hathaway Capstick book is a grand read and anything by Gene Hill is good.
                                I'm sure there...
                                Yesterday, 10:47 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X