Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winchester deer season. .223 any experience.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From DakotaMan: ".... I suspect the NBT will do the job but it doesn't have nearly the penetration power of the Partition bullet. The NBT really does the job in a .308 but the .224 version is going faster and the polymer tip causes it to expand real fast."

Seven deer and two hogs would beg to differ, sir. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
      Son in law wants to use his ar-15 for deer season. He bought the deer season ammo any experience anyone. I offered him my back up 25-06 rem 700 with vx3i but he wants to use his rifle. I think he’s going to find a 400 dollars ar and a Chineseum Amazon scope is going to be a lacking combination. Anyways he will learn the hard way.
      Don't know how old this young man is, but you say he's your s-i-l.
      So the boy IS out of diapers.
      With all due respect 'dawg, at some point, you gotta quit holding their hand.
      Hopefully, if your worst fears are realized and he loses a deer due to poor shot placement or lack of firepower, he will rethink his choices.
      Just food for thought.

Comment

Actual performance on tissue is the best determining factor.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
          From DakotaMan: ".... I suspect the NBT will do the job but it doesn't have nearly the penetration power of the Partition bullet. The NBT really does the job in a .308 but the .224 version is going faster and the polymer tip causes it to expand real fast."

Seven deer and two hogs would beg to differ, sir. LOL
          If they could, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Loaded some 110 grain V-MAX for my 6.8mm. I was out of Sierra 90 grain HP's and that's all I could get my hands on.
            Killed one pig and one deer. Both one shot kills.
            ...and it even said on the box they were suggested for varmints.
            For sure Bubba. A 110g 6.8mm actually has twice the mass of the .224 version and will work in a pinch. I shoot the .223 50g VMAX at 3450 fps for varmints. It will go about half way through a fox's chest at 200 yards. That was what I used on the antelope and it penetrated 1/4".

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Don't know how old this young man is, but you say he's your s-i-l.
              So the boy IS out of diapers.
              With all due respect 'dawg, at some point, you gotta quit holding their hand.
              Hopefully, if your worst fears are realized and he loses a deer due to poor shot placement or lack of firepower, he will rethink his choices.
              Just food for thought.
              You are correct sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post

I like your style milldawg ! Don’t change a thing!!
                Thank you sir.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                  I’m starting to think this guy is doing you a favor by not taking you up on the offer. He sounds like the type that doesn’t take care of other people’s stuff. Since you won’t actually be with him it’s likely things would go south, either with a messed up rifle or having to get it back.

Bad deal all the way around but kudos for trying to be a thoughtful F-i-L.
                  As Bubba pointed out I’m going to have let him learn the hard way! Hard head make for a soft ass!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad