No announcement yet.

Why doesn't everyone own a 6PPC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please excuse me for a line or two on the subject of politics being involved in posts. However, with the importance of the issue, it might be of value for some posters to become aware what is happening in England, through, guess what......politics !

England is in the process of passing legislation that will ban the importing of hunting trophies which include up to 6,000 different animals ! I am sure we will hear the preverbal.......so what, that’s not here in America !

Are there those who really believe that these matters are insulated from America just because there is a big pond between us ? The same objections on hunting are also prevalent in this country, and it is the same issue.......politics, that will control these issues. Either take politics seriously and openly, or be prepared to accept the consequences of shutting them out. Not all things that are important to us (politics) are pleasant to talk about, but they just might save things that are !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
      Please excuse me for a line or two on the subject of politics being involved in posts. However, with the importance of the issue, it might be of value for some posters to become aware what is happening in England, through, guess what......politics !

England is in the process of passing legislation that will ban the importing of hunting trophies which include up to 6,000 different animals ! I am sure we will hear the preverbal.......so what, that’s not here in America !

Are there those who really believe that these matters are insulated from America just because there is a big pond between us ? The same objections on hunting are also prevalent in this country, and it is the same issue.......politics, that will control these issues. Either take politics seriously and openly, or be prepared to accept the consequences of shutting them out. Not all things that are important to us (politics) are pleasant to talk about, but they just might save things that are !
      I think most hunters/shooters/competitors are very much aware of what is going on politically (even in other countries)-I am. I am not going to waste my time or emotions in this area.
      I don't come to a hunting/shooting forum to talk about politics.

The ranting and fear mongering here does no good in my opinion....It does NOT change the political reality.

If you really want to bring change...
      Train, educate, mentor, help, the people in the circle of your influence that you actually have the power to change.
      Get involved politically with the politicians. Vote, Writing campaigns, educational booths, volunteering, etc... Actually doing things that promote change.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post

I think most hunters/shooters/competitors are very much aware of what is going on politically (even in other countries)-I am. I am not going to waste my time or emotions in this area.
        I don't come to a hunting/shooting forum to talk about politics.

The ranting and fear mongering here does no good in my opinion....It does NOT change the political reality.

If you really want to bring change...
        Train, educate, mentor, help, the people in the circle of your influence that you actually have the power to change.
        Get involved politically with the politicians. Vote, Writing campaigns, educational booths, volunteering, etc... Actually doing things that promote change.
        Your words and objections do not fall on deaf ears ! BWT being said, there is the luxury of being able to pick and choose one’s desire of what one reads, or doesn’t read. Not all posters or readers will be of the same opinion as to what whets their appetite, or is it best felt to let some decide what is best for all ? There are topics here I am not totally in agreement with, but I have never said they should not be allowed just because I was not interested. It is wonderful we have the given ability to decide for ourselves what we want, or in some cases the opposite. No one is forced to read anything, there is a ‘thing’ called skipping which has a good way to ‘cancel’ unwanted apparent BS !

Comment

Bhr, Ernie

JMO, but I believe you both have VERY valid points.
          Yes, we, as sportsmen, need to stay on top of what's happening in "our" world and the constant attacks we face from the anti-gunners, anti-hunters and environmentalists.

Believe it or not, I DO try and keep my "political BS" down in the "Other" column.
          That way, folks like Ernie only have to see it if they choose and folks like bhr and me can go and vent to our hearts content.

P.S. Ernie, I do read and appreciate your shooting/hunting posts! 😃
          ....and bhr, your political points of view! 😉
          Last edited by FirstBubba; 12-12-2021, 11:26 AM.

Comment

BHR,
            I do skip those, and I don’t read them.
            My point is the majority of posts on this hunting forum is political, instead of the majority being about hunting, fishing, shooting and being outdoors.
            it is not about a specific member, or even two or three specific members of the forum. Besides social media being an active platform, this forum has lost its way a long time ago.
            There are other forums, which are very active and treat each other respectfully.

Comment

I really do not wish that this gets out of hand Ernie and I was not upset with your post, but written words sometime take on their own way of sounding cold when not meant to. I enjoy your posts as I have stated before, so I have no axe to grind in this issue with you. I can see some very unpleasant happenings arising in the future and probably vent too much concerning them. Best to you.......

Comment

I am definitely not upset with you.
                please know that.
                I just know that for the forums I frequent there are a couple that are basically dead, and there are reasons for it.
                I don’t mind people who enjoy getting all lathered up about political things.
                For me, I’m not going to do it.
                when I come to this site, the button I hit is new topics.
                That is when I am constantly reminded that the majority of this hunting and shooting forum is about politics and the like.
                on my spare time when I want to talk about my hobbies, I want to talk about the things I enjoy.
                I find myself not checking places as often that don’t have similar interests.
                Nothing personal, just enjoy spending my free time with like-minded people, on like minded interests.

Comment

If there were not for the 'other' forum open to anything, the site would disappear as very few users start a thread and others, when the do, redirect the thread.
                  I suggest everyone pick what is interesting to them and let it be at that.

Comment

Could it possibly be that they didn't manufacture THAT many?! LOL! 😃!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      I'm sure that is a big factor Bubba. I often wonder why manufacturers make the "chambering" decisions they do. I wonder what they think when they see the most accurate cartridge in the world and decide "We don't want to be associated with that cartridge; we already have too many losers to support."

I know it is not easy for them with limited shelf space in retail stores and the investment they already have in existing cartridges. The point is... this cartridge is pretty special and I would expect SOMEONE to take notice of that... even more special than the 6.5 Creedmoor. My gosh... everyone jumps on cartrdges like the .224 Valkerie but NO ONE jumps on the 6PPC. It is not even an approved SAAMI cartridge. What is with that?

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post

I'm sure that is a big factor Bubba. I often wonder why manufacturers make the "chambering" decisions they do. I wonder what they think when they see the most accurate cartridge in the world and decide "We don't want to be associated with that cartridge; we already have too many losers to support."

I know it is not easy for them with limited shelf space in retail stores and the investment they already have in existing cartridges. The point is... this cartridge is pretty special and I would expect SOMEONE to take notice of that... even more special than the 6.5 Creedmoor. My gosh... everyone jumps on cartrdges like the .224 Valkerie but NO ONE jumps on the 6PPC. It is not even an approved SAAMI cartridge. What is with that?
                        Well D'Man, I can see "why" the 6.5CM is popular.
                        It's easy recoil, effective on deer sized game and as accurate as any hunting rifle should be.

.500 Beowulf
                        .450 Bushmaster
                        .350 Legend
                        .300 ACC (Blackout)
                        .224 Valkyrie
                        are several cartridges that, to me, are relatively useless.
                        pighunter and red angus both used the .300 Blackout as a hunting round. Works great within it's capabilities.

The .224 Valkyrie parent cartridge is the 6.8mm Rem SPC.
                        I shoot the 6.8mm and it is now my "go-to" deer cartridge.
                        Try finding ammo for either.

I'm sure we would all be surprised if we knew just how many cartridges have been relegated to the dust bin of history! 🙁

The 8mm Rem Mag is another one that hit the market like a freight train only to disappear.

Somebody thought, "Boy! This ought to sell like hot cakes! Make a thousand!", only to end up eating 950 of them! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                            From Ernie: "I was only disagreeing with crm's statement about the 22-250 being just as accurate as the PPC."

I have a group, shot at 200 yds., from my stock Remington 700 .22-250, that barely distinguishes three bullet holes. You actually have to "plug" one hole to see the outline of the other two. The only thing I have ever done to accurize that rifle is work on the stock to free float the barrel.
                            Now, you want to say something else about the accuracy of the .22-250?
                            When it comes to precision (or the consistent group size that a rifle is capable of shooting) the 22-250 is really not nearly as accurate a cartridge as the 6PPC. The test would be to shoot five 5-shot groups with each and compare the aggregate groups sizes. I've shot the 22-250 a bit and find it very accurate as a hunting cartridge for sure. It is capable of shooting a 100 yard 0.1" group every once in a while. The 6 PPC is capable of shooting .050 five shot groups all afternoon or all week. I like the speed of the 22-250 for shooting running game within 250 yards but if I want to hunt hundreds of house flies in an afternoon at 100 yards, I'll use the 6PPC.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad