Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't see it as being negative.

Comment

I am just enjoying an active thread that is about hunting, shooting, or competing

Comment

Well bhr, I think your "HO" is pretty much spot on. πŸ˜‰!

Ernie and D'Man constantly talk of shooting to 1,000 yards plus.
        To hear steel ring from a thousand yards would be groovy to me.
        Ernie has invited anyone who wishes to one of their "shoots" and he will help put them on target a 1K yards. Wish I were in a position to take him up on it....but alas! It's not to be!

That aside, and I really think we're beating a dead horse here, about 400 yards is "Max Range" for the Average Joe deer hunter....and probably way less for the biggest percentage of them.
        I set my personal limit at 200/250. It's not the gun, it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
          I am just enjoying an active thread that is about hunting, shooting, or competing
          It is a rather pleasant happening. I am not a well informed firearms person, but I must admit, I certainly enjoy the extreme knowledge those of you who have on the subject of ballistics, building of rifles and shooting proficiency.......very interesting β€˜stuff’ !!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            Well bhr, I think your "HO" is pretty much spot on. πŸ˜‰!

Ernie and D'Man constantly talk of shooting to 1,000 yards plus.
            To hear steel ring from a thousand yards would be groovy to me.
            Ernie has invited anyone who wishes to one of their "shoots" and he will help put them on target a 1K yards. Wish I were in a position to take him up on it....but alas! It's not to be!

That aside, and I really think we're beating a dead horse here, about 400 yards is "Max Range" for the Average Joe deer hunter....and probably way less for the biggest percentage of them.
            I set my personal limit at 200/250. It's not the gun, it's me.
            I imagine there is someplace relatively close to you, compared to coming out to NE Wyoming to shoot steel at a grand, if that is a serious interest.
            My invite is a sincere one, to anyone who wants to head out my way.
            I responded to Jim, since it is a gun post.
            I understand that Jim is not a comp shooter, I actually don't do much of it myself.
            I would rather see shooting or hunting related posts than the other stuff that seems to pervade this forum, hence my "beating a dead horse."πŸ˜‚

Comment

I think you are dead on BowHunter. The majority of American hunters hunt forested land for white tail deer and that is generally at very close range. For many of them, they have little regard for precision as their rifle is just a tool for getting steaks out of the woods. If they miss the first shot, they will just shoot again.

Even though I have been a hunter my whole life, I have a high regard for rifle precision and the accuracy it enables. Likely that was spurred by a lot of prairie hunting where longer range shots are the norm and little pests like p-dogs are prevalent. I have been curious about what makes a rifle accurate and what I can do to make mine exceptionally accurate my whole life. It's not that I need it for long range hunting. Rather it is that I just like being able to hit where I aim and to put bullets through the same hole. I like the ability to hit house flies at 100 yards in addition to deer.

I don't disagree with jimbo either. As far as I am concerned, the three B's are all at the top level of importance in precision shooting, and therefore at a much higher level of importance than is the cartridge. That would be:

1. Barrel - A perfectly cut, hand lapped barrel with a specific length and contour is top priority.
              2. Bedding - It's not the stock; but how consistently the perfect barrel vibrates in the stock.
              3. Bullets. This includes all the things Ernie stated above. The more perfectly consistent the ammo, the more precisely the rifle will shoot.

The improvement in precision offered by the 6PPC over any other cartridge has been proven but shooters need a good micrometer to tell the difference from many other cartridges. Its precision is distinct though. I noticed this difference right away and for shooting accuracy within a couple hundred yards, it is exceptionally fun to shoot. It is not a deer cartridge because of the slow twist used on small flat based bullets. In a faster twist barrel with larger bullets, it would be similar to a 30-30 in range for white tails. But it would likely not be any more accurate than a .308 using these larger bullets.

Just something to think about.
              DakotaMan
              ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
              Last edited by DakotaMan; 12-11-2021, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I would rather see shooting or hunting related posts than the other stuff that seems to pervade this forum, hence my "beating a dead horse."πŸ˜‚
                I must agree Ernie... I would rather stick a hot fork in my eyeball rather than read most of the "stuff" that pervades this forum. I am a hunter, fisherman and a shooter. I do NOT come to this forum to hear anyone's opinion on politics, racism or public health. I have enjoyed your comments and posts. You are a well informed outdoorsman. Keep kicking dead horses, please.

Comment

My belief, the contributing factors for accuracy(repetition) are two things, the barrel and it's configuration (specifications) for the bullet being fired . Either .22 or 6mm.. And, the bullet. IF both of those factors are optomized, the results will be the same.
                  Fired in a test barrel to eliminate the human effect and stock - trigger variances sights etc., those two factors would be paramount.
                  I don't even think the powder or, primer make any difference. But, for a test lets use the same for both. Also for a accuracy test the cases should be fireformed to the test barrel that has about the same number of rounds fired through it.
                  Everything else makes for interesting discussions over some beers like arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Comment

As a poster on F&S, I can understand the feelings of those who are not particularly enthused with political content of topics. BWT being said, I sadly admit that posts which point out these feelings, fail to some extent, to take into account that the accepted preferred posts regarding guns, ballistics and hunting in general, have no bearing on the allowance of these items. These feelings are all of course of utmost importance to the 2A, firearm enthusiasts, hunters in general, but in no way do they provide any protections to them ! All of the above is controlled thru what.........politics ! The same thing that some appear to think is so unneeded as to deem no relevance in a discussion. Politics control every aspect of our lives and thus, need to be included in all topics, even as unpopular as they are ! If we forget the consequences of a topic we wish not to include, it will be much worse than discussing it !

Comment

I used to practice ( when a box of shells were $2.50) with my Winchester '94 shooting from the hip like the rifleman. I could put 4 shots, rapid fire, into a paper saucer at 10 yds. Most game shot were one or two shots.

Comment

I imagine there is someplace relatively close to you, compared to coming out to NE Wyoming to shoot steel at a grand, if that is a serious interest.
                        My invite is a sincere one, to anyone who wants to head out my way.
                        I responded to Jim, since it is a gun post.
                        I understand that Jim is not a comp shooter, I actually don't do much of it myself.
                        It seems when there is a lull in sportsmen posts some 'other than' posts come along. My plan is to click on by if I am not interested. There are hundreds of years of experience and stories among this site so there should not be any lapse in pertinent posts.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                          The improvement in precision offered by the 6PPC over any other cartridge has been proven but shooters need a good micrometer to tell the difference from many other cartridges. Its precision is distinct though. I noticed this difference right away and for shooting accuracy within a couple hundred yards, it is exceptionally fun to shoot. It is not a deer cartridge because of the slow twist used on small flat based bullets. In a faster twist barrel with larger bullets, it would be similar to a 30-30 in range for white tails. But it would likely not be any more accurate than a .308 using these larger bullets.
                          Just something to think about.
                          This!
                          But for someone who just shoots and hunts, to them there is no difference, and all cartridges shoot equally good.

Comment

One thing is the deflection of someones post. Having to go back to the beginning to see the original thread is a pain. Bubba was notorious for doing that, besides being quick on the argumentative response like a 10yo, life is good since I blocked him. I think his treatment of a few newbees that started the site and then quit were because of how Bubba treated them, very condensending. You know when I first joined 3 or 4 guys warned me about Bubba, they were right.
                            Anyway, just some random thoughts.

Comment

Wow!
                              And I thought this was on track for one of the most inherently accurate short range rounds...

Comment

Wow!
                                And I thought this was on track for one of the most inherently accurate short range rounds...
                                (snicker, snort, chortle!) Well, some of us can stay on target, some can't!
                                Just a couple of days ago, I took my AR 5.56/.223 to my range (back yard). It had been shooting pretty darn good. I don't know if it was me or the gun, but after about 40 rounds, I got a bit flummoxed and quit. I stayed in a 6" circle at 100. Just not reassuring.
                                Made me long for those days of 1" and half inch groups.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad