Why doesn't everyone own a 6PPC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post

Bubba... this is prophetic! It could be said about just about any cartridge we know of. When you take a good bullet, a good scope, a good barrel, a good bedding job and a good shooter, they can all be pretty accurate.

The one differentiator for me has been "speed". I've shot a lot of running coyotes, foxes, deer and antelope in my lifetime and I moved to a 25-06 over 50 years ago for the low recoil and high velocity to make running shots much more predictable. As much as I like all these other cartridges, that one still provides an edge for me for these hunting applications. I'm now taking notice that the 6PPC has something unique too... inherent precision and I think that will be interesting to me as well.
    Pretty much, D'Man.
    We all have our reasons for our cartridge selections.
    Honestly? I started with a .270 Win because my cousin had one. I literally fell in love with the rifle and never touched it!
    It was the first bolt action rifle I ever saw. Kid like, I had read Jack O'Connor and was enamored by the .270.
    I could have been a .30-06 fanatic like most of the folks I grew up hunting with.
    I was offered a Win M70 .243 Win at a store when a 14 year old kid could still purchase a rifle if he had the money. (the store owner knew my dad!)

I was determined to have a .270 because NOBODY I hunted with had one! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

For me, this topic has become more interesting with you mentioning the 6mm ARC..
      The ARC is an interesting cartridge too and, for me, the best of the AR options for all around shooting flexibility. It can be quite accurate in the right rifle too but it is tough making an AR shoot in the 0.1s consistently. One of my next projects will be to build an AR with a Krieger barrel to see how tight I can get it to shoot. Right now, I'm shooting a re-purposed 6mm CM burned out barrel with a custom cartridge I made that is like an ARC but has a body length .020" longer for a little more powder. It shoots around 0.7" groups but that is more indicative of the worn out barrel I'm using rather than the cartridge itself.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        Why doesn't everyone own a 6PPC?

Because I already own two .243 Winchester rifles.
        Ironic that you posted this Fitch. The second most accurate rifle I've ever shot has been my brother's .243. It is a stock Tikka T3 that just drills them in the same hole all day. It is also very FUN to shoot. My best to you with yours. I'll bet you are having fun.

Comment

For anyone interested, I found this resource on the 6mm ARC

The Hornady 6mm ARC | Midsouth Shooters (midsouthshooterssupply.com)

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post

Ironic that you posted this Fitch. The second most accurate rifle I've ever shot has been my brother's .243. It is a stock Tikka T3 that just drills them in the same hole all day. It is also very FUN to shoot. My best to you with yours. I'll bet you are having fun.
            Quiet so far this morning, just one doe spotted. Mornings on the hill can be that way, usually if deer are around we see them right off the bat. Evenings tend to be more predictable, at least in the early season. She did fill her tag Sunday morning last year on day two. Had it dressed and hanging in time to make it to church at 9:00 am.

I’d like to be able to try out all kinds of different rifles and chamberings but simply don’t have the funds, time or opportunities to do so. With things being the way they are now I’m more inclined to keep inventory streamlined anyway. No big thing, it’s all good.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
              Let's have a little historical perspective here. When the 6ppc came out it was fine for benchrest where small groups were the goal. But American hunters wanted power power POWER! And SPEED! Magnums baby! Factory ammo at the time was Federal,Remington, & Winchester. Others were around but trust and loyalty not widely established. The Creedmoor(s) arrive with all the tech advances deployed in their development and all the options they provide. Even the Walmart scopes of now beat the pants off some of the better known made decades ago and judged fantastic.There also isn't decades of Rem 742's , rebarreled Jap Arisakas and others with their garage cobbled barrels floating around to knock their mojo down a notch. I often think what if some of the early rounds, perhaps 6mmRem or 257 Roberts, were introduced today with heavy for caliber bullets, special twists, the best ammo available, with the best rifles produced chambered in them.
              And for the record get this through your thick skulls. PH NEVER SAID THE 6.5WAS BEST! ONLY IT WAS HIS BEST HE OWNS. Stop looking to start arguments and READ was gets written.
              Agree cheap scope are better now days. But these guys think they can slay at 500 plus yard. With an optic they have never shot that far with. And not wanting to argue I just have a habit of poking the bear a little .

Comment

Wannabe’s get very irritating…at the same time I get a morbid pleasure meeting them at the range, or any place where I can listen to them expose themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                  Agree cheap scope are better now days. But these guys think they can slay at 500 plus yard. With an optic they have never shot that far with. And not wanting to argue I just have a habit of poking the bear a little .
                  It's all good with me, I like poking too. Otherwise wouldn't have brought up the 6.5 CM on this thread

But I've learned something about the 6mm's via this discussion.

Comment

Sometimes it is kind of fun to poke the bear....

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                      Wannabe’s get very irritating…at the same time I get a morbid pleasure meeting them at the range, or any place where I can listen to them expose themselves.
                      Yes sir. Same here I’m not a long range shooter. But I would say I’m a very competent shooter for practical hunting distances with my rifles. It just amazes me what people don’t know and think they know about ballistics. I also keep picture proof in my phone that usually shuts them up. And I don’t seek to be argumentative it bothers me when people spread incorrect information as gospel. But like I said neither one will go shooting Benjamin’s with me.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

It's all good with me, I like poking too. Otherwise wouldn't have brought up the 6.5 CM on this thread

But I've learned something about the 6mm's via this discussion.
                        Agree learned more about than I ever would have on my own.

Comment

Simple answer, the .22-250 can be just as accurate, is much more available, easily reloadable, and is versatile enough to not only be a prairie dog and varmint rifle, but serve admirably as a deer rifle.
                          I should have written: More available in normal times, which we may never see again.

Comment

I seriously doubt the 22-250 is just as accurate...
                            There is a long line of serious competitors who would seriously disagree with your statement.
                            Many cartridges have tried to knock the king off his throne (100/200 BR game) without avail.
                            The 6 PPC has never been about factory ammo

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                              I seriously doubt the 22-250 is just as accurate...
                              There is a long line of serious competitors who would seriously disagree with your statement.
                              Many cartridges have tried to knock the king off his throne (100/200 BR game) without avail.
                              The 6 PPC has never been about factory ammo
                              Ernie, with all due respect, most folks on here aren't concerned with MOA (minute of angle). Their concern is MOD (minute of deer)! LOL!
                              Most .22-250 Rem rifles I've seen may not meet bench rest requirements, but they will darn sure destroy a coyote at 200 yards. Muy pronto!

Comment

I am not disagreeing with your statement at all!
                                The PPC will do everything you said in your post as well.

I was only disagreeing with crm's statement about the 22-250 being just as accurate as the PPC.

About any modern rifle that is chambered in a cartridge legal for big game (Varies from state to state) is capable of MOD on deer and capable of killing a coyote at 200 yards.
                                The biggest handicap for this kind of hunting is NOT the gun, but rather the one shooting it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Bcg 280ai
                                  by DakotaMan
                                  Congratulations Ernie! Nice buck. You've got me thinking about a pistol project. You have some fine pistols indeed. Antelope is my favorite meat. Way...
                                  Today, 05:01 PM
                                • Bcg 280ai
                                  by Ernie
                                  BCG 280 Ackley Improved XP-100. This custom XP-100 shoots so good, and everyone who has shot it loves it.
                                  I finally was able to draw first blood...
                                  Today, 02:03 PM
                                • Reply to TGIF: Fired Up Friday
                                  by PigHunter
                                  RAMMSTEIN - Fire!

(Translation To: Feuer Frei!)

Whoever knows pain becomes criticized
                                  From the fire that burned up the...
                                  Today, 04:17 PM
                                • TGIF: Fired Up Friday
                                  by fitch270
                                  Easy one this week that should cover all kinds of styles.

Lighting it up with one from The Cult

”Fire Woman”...
                                  Yesterday, 07:47 AM
                                • Reply to TGIF: Fired Up Friday
                                  by PigHunter
                                  How was the hunting?...
                                  Today, 04:10 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...