Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    I don't understand it either, D'Man!
    I mean, geez, the ammo store shelves are absolutely stacked with 6PPC ammo! 😂
    What I'm wondering though, is how did all the cartridges we used to see on store shelves get there but the 6PPC never did. It is a special cartridge for sure. They even came out recently with the 6mm ARC which is almost a copy of the 6PPC without the deadly accuracy. Who decides these things? The rifle manufacturers, the military, the ammo manufacturers? Not the shooters I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
      Sounds interesting. None of my buddies are using that cartridge so I'm not familiar with it.

But I've got a 6.5 CM that does sub MOA and that's really all I need here in Alabama. Don't shoot prairie dogs, don't shoot in long range competition, don't need anything over 3000 fps.

I'm guessing most Eastern hunters are like me and thus the lack of interest in the 6PPC. You know how it is since you've spent a lot of time here in the Southeast.

I do like knowing about different cartridges and how people use them. Thanks for posting.
      Thanks PH. It is not a brush cartridge but it could certainly be used in most applications where a .243 is popular. I've seen a lot of .243s on the Eastern seaboard. I think what makes it fun for me is just shooting it and seeing the bullets impact right at the center of the cross hairs. Few other cartridges EVER do that. I shoot a 6 CM, a 25 CM and the 6.5 CM. They are all great cartridges because of their versatility but they are no way at this level of precision.

Comment

"... why this little gem was labeled as only a "bench rest cartridge" ...:

Palmisano & Pindel "labeled" it a "bench rest" cartridge.
        All the design and developement was directed towards the developement of a "bench rest" (and successfully I might add!) cartridge.
        This cartridge could have been a VERY successful hunting cartridge but it was never introduced to the hunting community.
        I still maintain that somewhere in America, some intrepid soul is prepping his 6mmPPC for an upcoming hunt or is sitting down to a meal of venison provided by a 6mmPPC.

I had a distant cousin who loved hunting. As an engineer for the Tx Hwy Dept, he was hit by an automobile and damaged his pelvis.
        His back yard was a peanut field some 600 yards across.
        With the help of friends, he had color coded survey stakes placed across the field and a shooting bench built on his back porch.
        No deer was safe! LOL!
        Mac would roll up to his bench in a wheel chair, make his shot and send his wife out to pick up the deer after work.
        Jolene got quite adept at processing deer!

Oh yeah! He was shooting a pre '64 Win M70 in .270 Win with 130 gr Sierra BTSP.
        Last edited by FirstBubba; 10-08-2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Why doesn't everyone own a 6PPC?

Because I already own two .243 Winchester rifles.

Comment

HEY!!!
            I resemble that remark! 😃!
            I drive a Dodge, but I shoot a 6.8.
            Does that make me .3 better than a 6.5 shooter?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190928-095847_Chrome-700x698.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	782297
            It’s beats a 6.5 shooter for sure. I work with a couple of guys who just bought 6.5 last year. And they think they are deer snipers now. It’s almost laughable we’ll hell it is. One fella put a 6-18 Walmart center point on his rifle. And the other fellas put a tasco target scope from Walmart on his. And they both can afford much better optics. For some reason people think the 6.5 makes them a better shooter. Never seen anything like it.

neither one of them will take me up on my bet. I keep trying to get them to go shooting for Benjamin’s.

I know all 6.5 guys are not that way. But these two are special. After a year of listening to it I’m getting tired. I did win two cokes when I bet them the 25-06 is faster and has a flatter trajectory than a 6.5 out to 300 yards.

Super nice guys just spend to much time on YouTube.

Comment

6.5 Creedmoor crazy mindset is nothing new. The same thing went on for years with a 308 Winchester. It is also happened with to a much smaller degree with hunters for the 7mm Remington Magnum, and even a 300 Winchester Magnum. It just never went to the extreme levels it has with the Creedmoor.
              Tactical Ted’s, Mall Ninja’s, Wannabee’s and the like always will turn a popular cartridge and use it to make themselves think they are something special.
              even though it’s nothing more than a case capacity, Hornady did a great job of marketing, and a great job of reamer specs, and proper barrel twist, and the support for this cartridge has been phenomenal in terms of components.
              add to the fact, that it is has good ballistics, low recoil, and was brought out at the same time when long-range steel competitions and PRS matches were getting popular, helped make this cartridge popular. Plus, people like new stuff. I use the Creedmoor line of Cartridges, but I realize what they can do and why they cannot. I actually like the Creedmoor case in 22 caliber, 6mm, and 25 caliber, more than I do the 6.5 myself.
              would I be considered a Creed fan boy? Probably not, but I like the cartridges for what it gives me, or what I want it for.
              Is it my primary hunting cartridges? No Is it my primary competition cartridge? No
              enjoy your Creedmoor
              Last edited by Ernie; 10-09-2021, 08:23 AM.

Comment

I've got a Nikon Prostaff 5, 3.5-14x40 on my Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm getting 5/8-inch groups with factory ammo. It's the most accurate rifle I own. No complaints.
                pighunter, I've shot cloverleafs with my ParkerHale .270 and with my Ruger #1 .270. Also with my grandpa's old 1950's Marlin M336 .30-30. I've seen cloverleafs by various other calibers.
                The 6.5CM isn't magic. The 6.5CM, right now, is a "fad".
                If I didn't have a closet (safe?) full of guns or wanted something different, I might even buy a 6.5CM.

I've seen guys like milldawg was talking about.
                They talk like they've discovered some Holy Grail of the gun/hunt world and anyone who doesn't follow their lead is some sort of buffoon.

Shoot your 6.5CM in good health. It's a great caliber....but it ain't magic. It's just another powder charge in a brass case pushing a bullet.

Comment

Shoot your 6.5CM in good health. It's a great caliber....but it ain't magic. It's just another powder charge in a brass case pushing a bullet.
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                  This!

Comment

Let's have a little historical perspective here. When the 6ppc came out it was fine for benchrest where small groups were the goal. But American hunters wanted power power POWER! And SPEED! Magnums baby! Factory ammo at the time was Federal,Remington, & Winchester. Others were around but trust and loyalty not widely established. The Creedmoor(s) arrive with all the tech advances deployed in their development and all the options they provide. Even the Walmart scopes of now beat the pants off some of the better known made decades ago and judged fantastic.There also isn't decades of Rem 742's , rebarreled Jap Arisakas and others with their garage cobbled barrels floating around to knock their mojo down a notch. I often think what if some of the early rounds, perhaps 6mmRem or 257 Roberts, were introduced today with heavy for caliber bullets, special twists, the best ammo available, with the best rifles produced chambered in them.
                    And for the record get this through your thick skulls. PH NEVER SAID THE 6.5WAS BEST! ONLY IT WAS HIS BEST HE OWNS. Stop looking to start arguments and READ was gets written.

Comment

It's just another powder charge in a brass case pushing a bullet.
                      Bubba... this is prophetic! It could be said about just about any cartridge we know of. When you take a good bullet, a good scope, a good barrel, a good bedding job and a good shooter, they can all be pretty accurate.

The one differentiator for me has been "speed". I've shot a lot of running coyotes, foxes, deer and antelope in my lifetime and I moved to a 25-06 over 50 years ago for the low recoil and high velocity to make running shots much more predictable. As much as I like all these other cartridges, that one still provides an edge for me for these hunting applications. I'm now taking notice that the 6PPC has something unique too... inherent precision and I think that will be interesting to me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                        Let's have a little historical perspective here. When the 6ppc came out it was fine for benchrest where small groups were the goal. But American hunters wanted power power POWER! And SPEED! Magnums baby! Factory ammo at the time was Federal,Remington, & Winchester. Others were around but trust and loyalty not widely established. The Creedmoor(s) arrive with all the tech advances deployed in their development and all the options they provide. Even the Walmart scopes of now beat the pants off some of the better known made decades ago and judged fantastic.There also isn't decades of Rem 742's , rebarreled Jap Arisakas and others with their garage cobbled barrels floating around to knock their mojo down a notch. I often think what if some of the early rounds, perhaps 6mmRem or 257 Roberts, were introduced today with heavy for caliber bullets, special twists, the best ammo available, with the best rifles produced chambered in them.
                        And for the record get this through your thick skulls. PH NEVER SAID THE 6.5WAS BEST! ONLY IT WAS HIS BEST HE OWNS. Stop looking to start arguments and READ was gets written.
                        Couldn't agree more dewman!

In my hometown in the 50's, thieves broke into a shipment headed to a local hardware store and stole several new rifles. They caught the thieves almost immediately when one of them went to the store the rifles were shipped to looking for .243 Winchester ammo! These were the first .243 Win rifles in the county!

I also remember when Remington came out with their .244 Rem to compete with the .243 Win.
                        Fell flat!
                        Remington changed the rate-of-twist and relabeled the cartridge the 6mm Rem.
                        The 6mm Rem is superior to the .243 Win, but because the .243 came first, it's success was assured. The 6mm Rem languishes in the background except for a few knowledgeable hunters/shooters.

The .243 Win was/is a "fad" that stuck.

Comment

[QUOTE=FirstBubba;n782337]"... why this little gem was labeled as only a "bench rest cartridge" ...:

Maybe that's the problem... I wonder what would have happened if Palmisano & Pindel had labeled this "The most accurate cartridge in the world" instead of calling it a "bench rest cartridge". Your point is well taken though... it doesn't take much accuracy to plug a deer with a rifle... any rifle. This issue seems to be that not too many people care about the accuracy of their rifle (except perhaps for bench rest shooters).

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post

Bubba... this is prophetic! It could be said about just about any cartridge we know of. When you take a good bullet, a good scope, a good barrel, a good bedding job and a good shooter, they can all be pretty accurate.

The one differentiator for me has been "speed". I've shot a lot of running coyotes, foxes, deer and antelope in my lifetime and I moved to a 25-06 over 50 years ago for the low recoil and high velocity to make running shots much more predictable. As much as I like all these other cartridges, that one still provides an edge for me for these hunting applications. I'm now taking notice that the 6PPC has something unique too... inherent precision and I think that will be interesting to me as well.
                            Pretty much, D'Man.
                            We all have our reasons for our cartridge selections.
                            Honestly? I started with a .270 Win because my cousin had one. I literally fell in love with the rifle and never touched it!
                            It was the first bolt action rifle I ever saw. Kid like, I had read Jack O'Connor and was enamored by the .270.
                            I could have been a .30-06 fanatic like most of the folks I grew up hunting with.
                            I was offered a Win M70 .243 Win at a store when a 14 year old kid could still purchase a rifle if he had the money. (the store owner knew my dad!)

I was determined to have a .270 because NOBODY I hunted with had one! LOL!

Comment

For me, this topic has become more interesting with you mentioning the 6mm ARC..
                              The ARC is an interesting cartridge too and, for me, the best of the AR options for all around shooting flexibility. It can be quite accurate in the right rifle too but it is tough making an AR shoot in the 0.1s consistently. One of my next projects will be to build an AR with a Krieger barrel to see how tight I can get it to shoot. Right now, I'm shooting a re-purposed 6mm CM burned out barrel with a custom cartridge I made that is like an ARC but has a body length .020" longer for a little more powder. It shoots around 0.7" groups but that is more indicative of the worn out barrel I'm using rather than the cartridge itself.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                                Why doesn't everyone own a 6PPC?

Because I already own two .243 Winchester rifles.
                                Ironic that you posted this Fitch. The second most accurate rifle I've ever shot has been my brother's .243. It is a stock Tikka T3 that just drills them in the same hole all day. It is also very FUN to shoot. My best to you with yours. I'll bet you are having fun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad