Why doesn't everyone own a 6PPC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't everyone own a 6PPC?

I've been experimenting with a 6PPC rifle for the last few weeks. I have not yet developed the optimum load but I have been amazed. This is the most fun I have ever had shooting a rifle. It is so deadly accurate. So far, it seems to group around 0.15" at 100 yards and I think it will ultimately do better. It is really fun shooting a rifle that accurate. This is a bench rest rifle so it has a 14 twist barrel for the 68 grain bullets I've been shooting. I've shot it up to 3450+ fps but seem to be settling on an accuracy node at about 3400. This rifle has a small firing pin aperture allowing it to support higher velocities than you might see in the book. I'm using a $400 Weaver T-36 scope. I have been doing precision case prep just as a bench rest shooter would but I think factory ammo would produce at least quarter inch groups out of the box if it were available.

With this kind of precision, you could not only shoot houseflies between the shoulder blades at 100 yards but you could easily shoot small varmints out to 500 yards. Just target shooting is fun too. After a couple of weeks with this rifle, I'm really wondering why the cartridge has not become the favorite of varmint hunters and rifle enthusiasts across the country. The 22-250 is much faster with little 40g and 50g bullets but these cartridges are quite similar in trajectory at longer ranges. With the 6PPC, I would only aim for a prairie dog's eyeball out to 200 yards and expect to hit it. I aim at their whole head with a .22-250.

If you enjoy elite precision shooting and like to shoot varmints, you need to consider this. So far, it is the most enjoyable cartridge I've ever shot (but of course I wouldn't want it for Grizzly bears).
    Last edited by DakotaMan; 10-08-2021, 10:23 AM.

I don't understand it either, D'Man!
    I mean, geez, the ammo store shelves are absolutely stacked with 6PPC ammo! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Comment

Sounds interesting. None of my buddies are using that cartridge so I'm not familiar with it.

But I've got a 6.5 CM that does sub MOA and that's really all I need here in Alabama. Don't shoot prairie dogs, don't shoot in long range competition, don't need anything over 3000 fps.

I'm guessing most Eastern hunters are like me and thus the lack of interest in the 6PPC. You know how it is since you've spent a lot of time here in the Southeast.

I do like knowing about different cartridges and how people use them. Thanks for posting.

Comment

I started varmints when 6ppc was a dream. Started with a .225 then moved up to a .223, then on to a 22-250. I am stuck on 22-250 for serious groundhog but I do carry my .17WSM walking around camp for an opportunity at a shot.

Comment

.15" ? are you subtracting the bullet diameter when calculating group size ? How did you measure .15" group - how many shots ?

Comment

The 6mm PPC (Palmisano & Pindel Cartridge), or 6 PPC as it is more often called, is a centerfire rifle cartridge used almost exclusively for benchrest shooting.It is one of the most accurate cartridges available at distances of up to 300 meters, i.
            This cartridge's accuracy is produced by a combination of its stout posture, being only 31 mm (1.22 in) long, and aggressive shoulder angle of 30 degrees. Its primary use has been benchrest shooting matches since the 1980s.

No doubt the little varmint would be a deer slayer, but since it's design and developement was purely a target round, about the only place you will find it is on a target bench, punching paper.
            I'm sure if you asked around long enough, you'd find somebody that deer hunts with one.
            As short and stout as the cartridge is, I can't see how any bolt or semi auto wouldn't have feed issues.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
              One cartridge to rule them all...
              Sorry pighunter. That's the wrong photo! ๐Ÿ˜‰!

ALL RISE! ...for the Honorable 6.8mm Rem SPC!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211007_191730.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	782247
              You may be seated!

Comment

You know two things you see academy sports. Dodge trucks and 6.5 shooters.
                nuff said.

Comment

If...I was shooting 100/200 yard BR I would definitely have one or two 6PPC's.
                  But, I don't, and I don't see me getting one anytime soon.
                  It is a great cartridge for it's wheelhouse discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    .15" ? are you subtracting the bullet diameter when calculating group size ? How did you measure .15" group - how many shots ?
                    He is measuring the same way they do in competitions.
                    https://www.lapua.com/finnish-benchr...rd-with-lapua/

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post

He is measuring the same way they do in competitions.
                      https://www.lapua.com/finnish-benchr...rd-with-lapua/
                      He should indicate that his measurment is by Competition specifications, because 99% of the people measure with a ruler and not a micrometer - that seems misleading to the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                        You know two things you see academy sports. Dodge trucks and 6.5 shooters.
                        nuff said.
                        HEY!!!
                        I resemble that remark! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ!
                        I drive a Dodge, but I shoot a 6.8.
                        Does that make me .3 better than a 6.5 shooter?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190928-095847_Chrome-700x698.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	782297

Comment

It just made me wonder why this little gem was labeled as only a "bench rest cartridge" making us think that it couldn't be used for every day shooting. There is no reason the cartridge is only useful for the specific purpose of bench rest shooting. It seems to be great for anything where you want an exceptionally accurate rifle. There is no problem with magazine feeding. I realize that it is NOT considered acceptable for average Americans and that there is no ammo for any cartridge on the shelves of our stores. What I wonder is why has this cartridge NOT bubbled to the top as an outstanding cartridge for everyone? I realize that the U.S. Military or NATO have not selected it and that is a precursor to most of our top cartridges but this one is quickly becoming my favorite.

I've only been shooting 3-shot groups so far in my load development testing but am anxious to begin shooting 5-shot groups as soon as I can identify the optimum load. Yes... since the groups look like one bullet hole on paper, I have to measure the max outside diameter and subtract .243. The only thing I see that is unique about it is that a small aperture firing pin hole allows it to be shot at higher velocities without rupturing primers. But the same could be said for any other cartridge. I shoot my 6mm Creedmoor with a small firing pin hole for the same reason.

I haven't shot it at longer range than 100 yards so far but expect that I may be able to get 3/4" 5-shot groups at 500 yards. It should be fun. For 100-200 yard accuracy and fun shooting of any kind, this cartridge is going to be hard to beat.

Comment

It has a number of uses beyond benchrest game, but Iโ€™m just donโ€™t have the desire to use it unless I would go to that discipline. It would work pretty good for 600 yard benchrest or FClass, it would work great for hunting in varminting and general all around shooting

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

He should indicate that his measurment is by Competition specifications, because 99% of the people measure with a ruler and not a micrometer - that seems misleading to the masses.
                              jimbo, a length of 0.15" represents a pretty accurate group whether it is measured with a ruler or a micrometer or whether it is measured from outside, inside or from the middle. I measured with a micrometer because a ruler really doesn't work in measuring groups that small. If 99% of the people use a ruler, I would suspect that is because they are not shooting a precision cartridge or because they are pretty shaky or perhaps just don't own a micrometer. I've never seen an analysis of how people measure their groups or what they use to do it. If you can post a link to your source, I'd love to read it.

My load-test groups are 3-shot groups (to save unattainable primers, powder and bullets) but I'll soon be shooting 5-shot groups for the pure fun of it. I don't normally see significant variations in precision when I do that. My observation is that when testing precision in load development, if a 3-shot group is not worth using, there is no reason to fire two more shots of the exact same load into that group... it can only get worse. I just move on to the next iteration in the test. At around $1 per round and no replacements available, it's become the new norm for me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hound Controversy
                                by Danbo
                                Did you get your section in 1904? ๐Ÿ˜...
                                Today, 03:34 PM
                              • Hound Controversy
                                by MattM37
                                As a landowner, or if you were, would you let hounds and their hunters cross your property in pursuit of game? I think the main issue of the article...
                                Yesterday, 03:49 PM
                              • Reply to TGIF: Fired Up Friday
                                by Danbo
                                My favorite song.
                                Just got back from hunting and was going to share this but you beat me to it....
                                Today, 03:29 PM
                              • TGIF: Fired Up Friday
                                by fitch270
                                Easy one this week that should cover all kinds of styles.

Lighting it up with one from The Cult

โ€Fire Womanโ€...
                                Yesterday, 07:47 AM
                              • Reply to Bcg 280ai
                                by Danbo
                                Congratulations Ernie thanks for sharing.

How is the meat on pronghorn compared to venison?...
                                Today, 03:27 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X