No announcement yet.

Weatherby New /stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was talking to a gun nut friend of mine in Alabama who told me that Weatherby rifles were hard to sell on the used market there. Not sure why. I’ll probably offload a couple of mine when I quit elk hunting. For practical purposes, there are plenty of new rifles that shoot as well. So either you like them enough to pony up or not…

Comment

I have not.
      Just under 3,000 yards is a poke for sure.
      I have not shot that far...Just hasn't been goal for me to date.
      If I start to play at those distances, I will get one of these:
      https://tacomhq.com/product-category/tarac/

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
        I was talking to a gun nut friend of mine in Alabama who told me that Weatherby rifles were hard to sell on the used market there. Not sure why. I’ll probably offload a couple of mine when I quit elk hunting. For practical purposes, there are plenty of new rifles that shoot as well. So either you like them enough to pony up or not…
        Well said.
        That doesn't surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
          I have not.
          Just under 3,000 yards is a poke for sure.
          I have not shot that far...Just hasn't been goal for me to date.
          If I start to play at those distances, I will get one of these:
          https://tacomhq.com/product-category/tarac/
          The thing that amazed me it was with a 30-06. Did not think it had the gas to go that far.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
            Heck, my old Remington 788 shoots sub MOA and I paid less than $300 for it. The Ruger American approaches 1/2 MOA with factory ammo and it was less than $500. Ruger doesn't care a wit about break-in. Just sight and start hunting.

I've even got Handi-Rifles that will do less than 1 MOA. And I'm not that good of a marksman.

But I understand, some people just feel better knowing they've purchased an expensive item. It helps them mentally justify the expenditure if they think it performs better as well as being purdy.

my whole thing with mentioning Weatherby is the new lathe turned bullets, nothing more, nothing less. I don't care what you own, I actually have more remingtons, Winchesters and Brownings and also some more expensive than Weatherbys. Enjoy yours and I lwill do the same with mine. I do wear a W on my hat though.
            Last target I put up was a Remington 700, 30-06,
            three shot one hole.
            I have shot more deer and bear with a Winchester and Ithaca shitgun.
            Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-29-2021, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

The thing that amazed me it was with a 30-06. Did not think it had the gas to go that far.
              As long as it is twisted right, the bullet will stay stable after it goes subsonic.
              After that it is all about decent conditions-Just more drop and drift.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Optic?
                What bullet were they using?
                Shooting it single-shot?
                If, so it was probably long-throated for the specific bullet without worrying about mag length.

Comment

I Enjoy Mark & Sam After Work:
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs3...P5Er95EniC-uMw

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                    That is where I saw it. 3,023 yds = 1.7miles , 30-06
                    30-06 at 3023yards - YouTube

Comment

I haven’t watched all of their videos, but they are the real deal.

Comment

Just watched. Assuming they would use the 230 Berger and load them single shot

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                          Heck, my old Remington 788 shoots sub MOA and I paid less than $300 for it. The Ruger American approaches 1/2 MOA with factory ammo and it was less than $500. Ruger doesn't care a wit about break-in. Just sight and start hunting.

I've even got Handi-Rifles that will do less than 1 MOA. And I'm not that good of a marksman.

But I understand, some people just feel better knowing they've purchased an expensive item. It helps them mentally justify the expenditure if they think it performs better as well as being purdy.
                          Speaking of Handi-Rifles, my son has a heavy fluted barrel H-R with the target (?) stock in .223 Rem that shoots extremely well. Death on coyotes. I’m trying to “borrow it” for an extended hunt. 😂

Also thinking about selling a gun or two and buying a Ruger American in .223 or .300 Blackout for a truck gun. I don’t like leaving “modern sporting rifles” in the vehicle.

All but one of my Weatherby’s has a matte blued finish with synthetic stock. The other one is burnt bronze Cerakote with a camo pattern stock. None of them is particularly deluxe or purty.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

Speaking of Handi-Rifles, my son has a heavy fluted barrel H-R with the target (?) stock in .223 Rem that shoots extremely well. Death on coyotes. I’m trying to “borrow it” for an extended hunt. 😂

Also thinking about selling a gun or two and buying a Ruger American in .223 or .300 Blackout for a truck gun. I don’t like leaving “modern sporting rifles” in the vehicle.

All but one of my Weatherby’s has a matte blued finish with synthetic stock. The other one is burnt bronze Cerakote with a camo pattern stock. None of them is particularly deluxe or purty.
                            I have several NEF receivers and more interchangeable barrels. .223, .308, .45-70, .22-250 and the muzzleloader. Note of caution, do not take trigger group apart - special align tool required to re-assemble. I understand it is a kind of a pin and can be made but have not seen directions. Also, closed barrel clearance is .001" To adjust a gunsmith adds or removes material from the pivot point on the barrel. I have already mentioned more than I know about them. Enjoy, they all shoot really good .

I do have one that opens after firing but never had the barrel fitted to receiver. Some have auto ejectors that kick the brass out of sight but I like the ones that just extract so I can save the brass.
                            Laminate is the .308 Click image for larger version  Name:	guns 4 18 2014 015.JPG Views:	0 Size:	864.8 KB ID:	781765 Click image for larger version  Name:	guns 4 18 2014 012.JPG Views:	0 Size:	851.0 KB ID:	781766 Click image for larger version  Name:	guns 4 18 2014 013.JPG Views:	0 Size:	924.2 KB ID:	781767
                            Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-30-2021, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad