De Gass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De Gass

Do you delay cleaning your rifle barrel to allow the steel of your barrel degass? Years ago articles atlked how the gas and other waste under extreme pressure is forced into the micro cavities of the steel. Do't know how critical that is. I do wait some time before cleaning IF it is dry. If wet, I will pass an oil patch through and then wait some time before cleaning. If you look at high power microscope you can see how the steel almost looks like layers of slate with many small voids. One reason I got the Ouuers electronic cleaner was to thoroughly clean the trapped residue. When the Otters has removed everyting through electrolysis it auto stops.

have you tried a steady intake of simethicone (gas-x)? it, plus lots of water, is pretty much the only thing that can solve my trapped gas issues. if it feels like the gas is trapped around my lungs area, i take a chewable or two. if the issue seems more intestinal/lower i take the pill version. every single night before bed i also take Nox Vidmate VLC the pill version (two if i'm close to my period).
    Last edited by adomanim1; 11-02-2021, 07:15 AM.

Comment

In use kroil oil. I swab the bore with several wet patches and followed by several dry to get the gunk. Then several more wet patches of kroil. And let it set muzzle down for a couple days then clean it. After clean two wet patches of clp followed by two dry and put it up. The kroil oil penetrates down deep. We use it a work on everything.

Comment

I had some of that Kroil Oil, "the oil that creeps". It crept out of the can and all over the shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
          I had some of that Kroil Oil, "the oil that creeps". It crept out of the can and all over the shelf.
          It works it cleans the hell out of everything. It cuts carbon like nobody’s business.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
            In use kroil oil. I swab the bore with several wet patches and followed by several dry to get the gunk. Then several more wet patches of kroil. And let it set muzzle down for a couple days then clean it. After clean two wet patches of clp followed by two dry and put it up. The kroil oil penetrates down deep. We use it a work on everything.
            I like Kroil and muzzle down is best.
            I flush lead fouling (handguns) with K-1. Snake with patch around half of the brush then something like Hoppies ( Hoppies is 70% K-1) Let stand a couple days. Last thing is a patch with RemOil then into storage for 6 mo. then clean again. I clean all my firearms every 6 mo., used or not.
            For copper foul, Snake with patch wet with RemOil around half of the brush. Then smear on some JB non-embedding compound. (they also make one for Stainless) I think they call it non-embedding because it will not clog the pores of the steel. I repeat this until patches come out clean. Then flush with K-1. Final before storage is a patch wet with RemOil. That's it.

Different from most folks on here I follow barrel mfg. or Firearm Mfg. to break in my new barrels. Weatherby and Douglass Barrels both have good procedures. A little time spent up front lapping the barrels and I can shoot a whole lot more with less fouling. Groundhogs I can get 30 or more shots before a cleaning touch up. Also, in a previous post I mentioned not all bullets leave the same amount of copper fouling. Nosler is the least fouling - al

Comment

I have never had a centerfire weapon that I clean every 30 rounds.
              I let the accuracy in that barrel be the deciding factor.
              Carbon build up will likely be my enemy more than copper.
              I have never de-gased.

Comment

Some Barrel manufacturer's give a break in process, simply because they got bugged so much about having a process.

Comment

I spoke to a old 100/200/300 yard benchrest shooter, who is still shooting, and he was reminiscing about how he used to neck size only, and run one thou or less tolerances on his necks back in the day.
                  Obviously, he does not do that today. Not one one of the top tier BR shooters do.
                  It was a fun chat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                    I spoke to a old 100/200/300 yard benchrest shooter, who is still shooting, and he was reminiscing about how he used to neck size only, and run one thou or less tolerances on his necks back in the day.
                    Obviously, he does not do that today. Not one one of the top tier BR shooters do.
                    It was a fun chat.
                    How many rounds do you shoot before accuracy changes ? I usually see it about 25 or 30 rounds.

Comment

75-200 depending on cartridge

Comment

Originally posted by ernie View Post
                        wow !......

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                          Any chance you use Dyna-Tek Bore Coat?

Comment

Uhhmmm...?
                            I don't clean until I'm storing my guns after season or I've been out in inclement weather.
                            Then it's just brush it a time or two with a brass brush and some WD40.
                            Swab dry with patches until dry.

I don't follow any "break-in" regime for a barrel. Drag the gun out of the box, scope it, sight it in, go hunting.

🤷‍♂️

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Any chance you use Dyna-Tek Bore Coat?
                              No.
                              never used it

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad