Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Matt, I started hunting with a friend from the corner hang out, sitting in a booth talking hunting and guns for hours on end. Started going with him and my Uncle and his Father. My Father went, but probably never hunted. Ihad another Uncle that would sometime join us, he lived on Bear Creek road - guess hoew it got it's name. He had 55 acres we could hunt. Nice to come in when you got cold. My Fathers group of 10 or so took Army vehicles like a Deuce and a Half and Jeeps miles back in woods and played poker in temporary command tents. Another place they went you had to ride a cable pully across the river to get to the cabin.
    I used the 30-30 and clothes were picked up at the local Army, Navy. Our hunting day was up at 4, drive to Adirondacks. Hunt to noon then head for the Bufflalo Head in Forestport There was actually a Buffalo Head by the entrance. Well we hung at 'Mahogany Ridge' until time to go home. I could get a drink but was actually not old enough. The bar was lined with shoulder to shoulder hunters with red and black shirts and their hunting knives sticking out of their belts was really an image I will never forget. Then the local backwoods women would work themselves up and down the line of hunters.
    There were some deer and bear in the area and any that were shot were huge.
    Another bar in the area is the Wigwam and the bar keep shot a huge bear when he went out back with the garbage.. shot it 6 times with a .303. Those were the days.

Years latter our all season Cabin is about 5 miles from the bar on a Lake and we rode snowmobiles all around there and up the railroad tracks. We had a local Female State Trooper ride with us, we called her Mamma Bear.
    A few of us meet there even now for some hunting and meals every chance we can.

Jim
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-24-2021, 06:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I looad a lot of calibers and I would say the 30-06 is one of the easiest to load. Good mid sized cartridge. I don't care for the pistol or very large as it is just a question of my dexterity.
    I would say a 30-06 size cartridge is a good way for a beginner to start. Pick a bullet size and powder and after trying several loadsstick with one. Always follow the manuals and their specifications. I always pick a powder in the mid range of possible ones and stop the charge a grain or so below max. Have fun. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	719.9 KB
ID:	781176 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0675.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	580.2 KB
ID:	781177 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0826.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	609.9 KB
ID:	781178

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    One thing I have been doing for years is sorting a box of bullets in .1 grain increments. I have an anlytical balance that is accurate to .01gr so it is easy to sort to .1. I have 6 boxes of various calibers and bllet styles like those pictured. And yes, Nosler are the most consistent weight right out of the box. I don't know how much this helps accuracy but when some companies bullets vary by over 2 grain in a box (that is + - 2 gr) I think it is important. A good analytical balance can be found in pawn shops, flea markets and E-bay - plus also get a set of certified weights if you undertake this endeavor. Weight varience of .1grain is much more critical in light weight bullets by %. What mfg. has the worst weight variance ? I won't say for legal reasons.
    So, naturally, I load those from one compartment at a session, or an adjacent if needed.

BTW, the last digdit on an electronic balance is actually moving and not necessarily shown. The program selects the mode to display with final weight. A balance is basically a strain gauge that, when bent, Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0820.JPG
Size:	714.2 KB
ID:	781166 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0823.JPG
Size:	568.2 KB
ID:	781165 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0824.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	1,000.1 KB
ID:	781164 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0819.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	958.8 KB
ID:	781167 the deflection is transmitted as an electronic signal and displayed. The strain gaige should be treated carefully, no sideways or upside down, no dropping anything on it, etc.
    Hope this post is helpful.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Take the 30-30, wear your green-and-black wool shirt and your red crusher hat, and you'll be the very picture of an Adirondack hunter. Carry a can of Genny Cream Ale in your back pocket to celebrate the successful hunt.
    Red and Black Filson. The ground blind is one hunt. The plane hung in the Old Forge Hardware
    the 30-30 vintage 1956 .Wish I had a $ for every mile I carried that rifle. I used to carry clothesline to make a sling when I got a deer. Never had sling swivels. Click on a pic of gun and zero in. You can see my peep sight and on the stock the finish. I set the gun in the snow and leaned against a tree to dress a deer. The stock got a water stain. In the '50's a co. had a heavy stock finish. I dried the water stain out and used the coating. It waas heavy and sealed the stock on future hunts. The stock finish and peep sight are only alterations. Click image for larger version  Name:	Adirondacks ground blind.JPG Views:	0 Size:	604.0 KB ID:	781123 Click image for larger version  Name:	Adirondacks plane.JPG Views:	0 Size:	505.2 KB ID:	781124 Click image for larger version  Name:	winchester '94 004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	781125
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-23-2021, 05:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Take the 30-30, wear your green-and-black wool shirt and your red crusher hat, and you'll be the very picture of an Adirondack hunter. Carry a can of Genny Cream Ale in your back pocket to celebrate the successful hunt.
    Genny Cream Ale? That’s a Thursday throw back. Bunch of us were weened on the stuff in HS. We called em “Screamers” for short. A friend’s dad used the term “Greenies”.

Last one I tried about gagged me. Maybe it wasn’t cold enough.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I am finished with .300 and .340 and now on to some .308. If I go to NY I would probably take my 30-06 and my Winchester 30-30.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ernie View Post
    Good for you on the potential hunting opportunities.
    I have never hunted for black bear...One of these days
    Easiest kind of hunting - we hunt the last 2 hours of daylight. I seldom see a bear earlier in the daytime. They do not require big guns, but I never shoot one when it is moving - they take off like a rocket and are pissed if you don't drop them. We don't shoot them over bait.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-23-2021, 12:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied
    Good for you on the potential hunting opportunities.
    I have never hunted for black bear...One of these days

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Jim, are you getting ready to go bear hunting or just messing around with the rifles?

I’m guessing the latter but it’s hard to tell what you’re saying.
    I am finished with .300 and .340 and now on to some .308. If I go to NY I would probably take my 30-06 and my Winchester 30-30.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    If I go to NY it is short notice depending on forecast. I meet up with my hunting buddy and we both go to the friend who is the NY guide. Sometimes he is asked to thin out deer or bear and he orchestrates a hunt. If we don't meet up with the him we just go to some of our favorite / secret places. Hint, my buddy has a cabin on some land there and we hunt around there and the back side of a lake he is near. Undisturbed area.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Jim, are you getting ready to go bear hunting or just messing around with the rifles?

I’m guessing the latter but it’s hard to tell what you’re saying.

Leave a comment:

• crm3006
    replied
    jhjimbo- Those 225 and 250 gr. .338s probably aren't any good. If you ship them to me I will dispose of them for you, no charge. Just trying to help out!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0817.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	781009 Got all my .300Wby loaded. 30 rounds of 180gr Nosler SPBT and 20 rounds of 220gr Nosler Partitions. Now I have only 20 .340Wby to load with 200gr Tipped. 82gr of IMR 4831 powder for 3200+ FPS and 4,500 lbs energy All my reloads are now in once fired brass in my gun and neck sized so I will be anxious to see how the .340 shoots. I know my .300 is good as I shot for group when going on a bear hunt. 3 shot group, set the rifle down and next 2 shots moved a little. Then I moved to center and about 3/4" high. Guide said I would be getting a shot up to about 200yds.
    Pics are sight in target, .300Wby with 2 stocks and my .340Web Click image for larger version  Name:	Weatherby Mk 5  .300mag target.jpg Views:	0 Size:	605.4 KB ID:	781006 Click image for larger version  Name:	300 weatherby 001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	781007 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0818.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.25 MB ID:	781008
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-22-2021, 01:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    I was a Medic, I stay as far away from Hospitals as I can. My last fall was in the '80's, no residual damage. I just shot 20 rounds off my right shoulder of .340WbyMag (82gr of 4832, no problem). Just checked, not even a black and blue.
    I wasn't a "medic" and I stay away from hospitals* as best I can. But when the pain and discomfort override your ease, it's time to face your fears.

* - my wife worked in the medical field for over 30 years. I've heard the horror stories.
    With her medical background, I feel quite safe with her watching my back.
    I've had seven orthopedic surgical procedures. No problems.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Got some .340Wby and 7mmRemMag in the tumbler, then on to some .308's

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad