No announcement yet.

Worked at the bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the spring of 2018, I grabbed a 16 ga semi auto shotgun to shoot a skunk.
    When the gun went off, the pain was so great, I almost dropped the shotgun and ended up on my knees.
    My right shoulder had deteriorated to the point the only thing that would help was replacement. That was August of 2019.
    It ain't what the good Lord gave me, but I can shoot the semi auto without mind numbing pain again.

jimbo, you've reached that point in your life where those bone crunching calibers need to be shuffled to the back of the safe.
    Heck, I dont even shoot my .270's anymore. They belong to the kids now! No more Rem 870 twelve bore. It's my Rem "Sportsman" 16 gauge or my Mossberg .410.

"I ain't as good as I one was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!"

"Takes me all day long to do what I used to do all day long!"

Get that shoulder checked out. The longer you wait, the worse it will get. The older YOU get, the longer and harder surgery recovery will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
      Like PH , I hope you get better quickly…. The 340
      isn’t going to help lol. I realize that your not going to be shooting groundhogs with your Weatherby but do you think fireforming your brass is a extra not overly necessary step ! I’m not critiquing you but can you kind of walk me through your thoughts here?
      The ammo I picked up was 15rounds of reloads and 5 factory. I don't shoot others reloads so I tool them all apart. (I found one reload that was 10gr over max for any powder listed in a manual. Be warned about others reloads) The factory ones out of curiosity what their load was. Fireforming them just made them identical to my guns chamber. I expect there is more accuracy I can get when I shoot with my left shoulder. If I make a NY trip this year to Adirondacks I would take it but still might be shooting right handed. Maybe I'll just take my Winchester 30-30.

I have damaged my other shoulder once and it took a long time to heal - but it is 100% with no arthritis. Story is we were going into a bar after hunting - single file, and somebody said look at that over there. I turned to look and tripped over a telephone pole and landed on my right shoulder. My elbo cracked some ribs and I hit my head, saw stars. Got into the bar and had a double.
      Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-10-2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Talk to an orthopedic doctor jimbo. If you damage the bursae in a joint, it may heal, but will begin to deteriorate over time.
        I've had an ankle, a hip and a shoulder that cratered due to earlier joint damage.
        I'm suffering with a painful left elbow now that can't be corrected surgically.
        I wear an elbow brace and curse the pain.
        The only cure is elbow replacement surgery. Elbow replacement is out of the question at my current activity level.

Comment

I was a Medic, I stay as far away from Hospitals as I can. My last fall was in the '80's, no residual damage. I just shot 20 rounds off my right shoulder of .340WbyMag (82gr of 4832, no problem). Just checked, not even a black and blue.
          Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-10-2021, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Got some .340Wby and 7mmRemMag in the tumbler, then on to some .308's

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              I was a Medic, I stay as far away from Hospitals as I can. My last fall was in the '80's, no residual damage. I just shot 20 rounds off my right shoulder of .340WbyMag (82gr of 4832, no problem). Just checked, not even a black and blue.
              I wasn't a "medic" and I stay away from hospitals* as best I can. But when the pain and discomfort override your ease, it's time to face your fears.

* - my wife worked in the medical field for over 30 years. I've heard the horror stories.
              With her medical background, I feel quite safe with her watching my back.
              I've had seven orthopedic surgical procedures. No problems.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0817.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	781009 Got all my .300Wby loaded. 30 rounds of 180gr Nosler SPBT and 20 rounds of 220gr Nosler Partitions. Now I have only 20 .340Wby to load with 200gr Tipped. 82gr of IMR 4831 powder for 3200+ FPS and 4,500 lbs energy All my reloads are now in once fired brass in my gun and neck sized so I will be anxious to see how the .340 shoots. I know my .300 is good as I shot for group when going on a bear hunt. 3 shot group, set the rifle down and next 2 shots moved a little. Then I moved to center and about 3/4" high. Guide said I would be getting a shot up to about 200yds.
                Pics are sight in target, .300Wby with 2 stocks and my .340Web Click image for larger version  Name:	Weatherby Mk 5  .300mag target.jpg Views:	0 Size:	605.4 KB ID:	781006 Click image for larger version  Name:	300 weatherby 001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	781007 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0818.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.25 MB ID:	781008
                Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-22-2021, 01:05 PM.

Comment

jhjimbo- Those 225 and 250 gr. .338s probably aren't any good. If you ship them to me I will dispose of them for you, no charge. Just trying to help out!

Comment

Jim, are you getting ready to go bear hunting or just messing around with the rifles?

I’m guessing the latter but it’s hard to tell what you’re saying.

Comment

If I go to NY it is short notice depending on forecast. I meet up with my hunting buddy and we both go to the friend who is the NY guide. Sometimes he is asked to thin out deer or bear and he orchestrates a hunt. If we don't meet up with the him we just go to some of our favorite / secret places. Hint, my buddy has a cabin on some land there and we hunt around there and the back side of a lake he is near. Undisturbed area.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        Jim, are you getting ready to go bear hunting or just messing around with the rifles?

I’m guessing the latter but it’s hard to tell what you’re saying.
                        I am finished with .300 and .340 and now on to some .308. If I go to NY I would probably take my 30-06 and my Winchester 30-30.

Comment

Good for you on the potential hunting opportunities.
                          I have never hunted for black bear...One of these days

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                            Good for you on the potential hunting opportunities.
                            I have never hunted for black bear...One of these days
                            Easiest kind of hunting - we hunt the last 2 hours of daylight. I seldom see a bear earlier in the daytime. They do not require big guns, but I never shoot one when it is moving - they take off like a rocket and are pissed if you don't drop them. We don't shoot them over bait.
                            Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-23-2021, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I am finished with .300 and .340 and now on to some .308. If I go to NY I would probably take my 30-06 and my Winchester 30-30.
                              Take the 30-30, wear your green-and-black wool shirt and your red crusher hat, and you'll be the very picture of an Adirondack hunter. Carry a can of Genny Cream Ale in your back pocket to celebrate the successful hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Take the 30-30, wear your green-and-black wool shirt and your red crusher hat, and you'll be the very picture of an Adirondack hunter. Carry a can of Genny Cream Ale in your back pocket to celebrate the successful hunt.
                                Genny Cream Ale? That’s a Thursday throw back. Bunch of us were weened on the stuff in HS. We called em “Screamers” for short. A friend’s dad used the term “Greenies”.

Last one I tried about gagged me. Maybe it wasn’t cold enough.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Scopes
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Fixed it for me?????
                                  Gonna ship me the two hunnerd bucks I'm short??? 😉! LOL!
                                  Thanks WAM!...
                                  Today, 09:06 AM
                                • Scopes
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Leopold used to pretty much be the "Gold Standard" for the everyday "Average Joe" deer hunter that wanted a better than average scope....
                                  12-01-2021, 03:43 PM
                                • Reply to Scopes
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Pmacc60, I keep forgetting the "Ladder Fiasco"!
                                  Glad to hear you're on the mend and doing well.
                                  Believe me, I'm well aware of being...
                                  Today, 09:04 AM
                                • Oxford School Shooting........
                                  by bowhunter75richard
                                  As if the school shooting itself was not bad enough, it now concerns the parents of the shooter being involved.

They were captured late last...
                                  Today, 08:06 AM
                                • Reply to Scopes
                                  by Pmacc60
                                  Thanks PH , best of luck to you !...
                                  Today, 07:43 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X