Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    My pleasure.

While I haven’t actually loaded any monolithics yet I do have TTSX and GMX for several chamberings when I get to them.

From what I’ve read they generally like some jump to the lands for what it’s worth.
    Mine are not tipped.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
      I don't keep track of what Weatherby produces, but I know they have heavier contours available.
      For most hunting even 2" at 100 yards (4" at 200) (6" at 300) will kill deer just as dead at most hunting distances.
      Once load development and drop confirmations are done, it is not a issue for hunting with the three Weatherby's I did load development for and drop confirmations. They all shot Sub-MOA.
      That 378 case capacity wears on you with heavy 30 and 338 caliber bullets😎
      And it took so long for the barrels to cool back to outside temperature.
      Like I said, I am prejudiced.
      Any idea why the powder in a Weatherby factory would be clumped together ? I remember Hornady Superformance was loaded moist and maybe that is what Norma does.??

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Get a Labradar, it measures your speed in increments all the way down the range to the target.
        I have had one for a long time now.
        It doesn’t read at long distances

Comment

Any idea why the powder in a Weatherby factory would be clumped together ? I remember Hornady Superformance was loaded moist and maybe that is what Norma does.??
          No clue. I don’t keep up with that

Comment

Finished loading .340Wby once fired in another gun. I loaded 200gr with 82gr powder to fire form in my rifle then i will load either 225 or 250gr. Interesting, using my Gen 6 autodispenser/scale, the time it takes to dispense 82gr of imr4831 I can seat two bullets. The dispenser worked flawlessly and hits the target weight within .1gr of IMR4831, regular granules.
            The bullets are the ones to chose from.

left 275, 250, 200, and the tip I just loaded 200gr.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0791.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	698.4 KB
ID:	779660 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	604.4 KB
ID:	779661 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0792.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	767.3 KB
ID:	779662

Comment

Purchase another Gen 6, and then they will keep up with your bullet seating.
              I have multiple Chargemasters, and it sure speeds things up when loading large amounts of rounds. If you have a friend with you, one takes care of the powder and the other seating, and you can really make time.
              I am guessing if you are shooting a known load (one you have developed previously), your fireform load should shoot great for hunting.
              When I was doing load development for the three different Weatherby's, I did not have them at the same time, but rather over a period of time.

Comment

Purchase another Gen 6, and then they will keep up with your bullet seating.
                I have multiple Chargemasters, and it sure speeds things up when loading large amounts of rounds. If you have a friend with you, one takes care of the powder and the other seating, and you can really make time.
                I am guessing if you are shooting a known load (one you have developed previously), your fireform load should shoot great for hunting.
                When I was doing load development for the three different Weatherby's, I did not have them at the same time, but rather over a period of time.
                I could have increased the dispensing speed but why? I am not going any place. Too windy for the Lake so I will head to the range. The berms must be 12' high so that makes shooting relatively protected from the wind. Yers ago the Club had the NRA give recommendations for the ranges. We had contractors move 280,000 cu.yds. of dirt to get them in shape.

Comment

If time is not a issue...enjoy.

Comment

If time is not a issue...enjoy.
                    I think the time factor is the big reason a lot of guys don't reload. The other is they realize they are not good at following a recipe and could get themselves in trouble. Some people think they know it all. The early wildcatters were really living on the edge.

Comment

The time factor in reloading is my favorite part, it gives me more time to devote to the shooting end because it makes me more invested to my shooting . No excuses from load development to pulling the trigger , it’s all on me. My RCBS charge master is one of the best investments I ever made. I’m on the third one now , one crapped out the other I gave to my son.

Comment

I have 60 .300WbyMag to load next. I like Rem Core-Lokts so I will use my favorite load of IMR or H 4350 and 180gr Core-Lokts for 3,000 fps. I can shoot clover leafs all day long with that load. Bang-flop on Whitetail. Actually over gunned some.

Comment

I got my .340 Wby brass fire formed in my rifle today. Plus adjusted the scope some. Now I will neck size and load with my hunting bullets.
                          Shooting at about 40yds I don't think the group is too bad especially ulsing right shoulder and only a half rest. . I had to use my right shoulder which also does not have good check weld with a left hand stock. I found some good rubber and added that to my shouldn Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0794.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	825.5 KB
ID:	779788 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0797.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	779789 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0796.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	820.9 KB
ID:	779790 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0798.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	779791 er for this session. 82gr of IMR4831 is a bit of a jolt. Threatening clouds all day but never felt a drop. I like the 70's better than the 90's for the range.

Comment

Jim why are you shooting right handed ? Are you hurt ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                              Jim why are you shooting right handed ? Are you hurt ?
                              I did something to my left shoulder - taking a long time to heal. I could not take the recoil of the .340.

Comment

I did something to my left shoulder - taking a long time to heal. I could not take the recoil of the .340.
                                Like PH , I hope you get better quickly…. The 340
                                isn’t going to help lol. I realize that your not going to be shooting groundhogs with your Weatherby but do you think fireforming your brass is a extra not overly necessary step ! I’m not critiquing you but can you kind of walk me through your thoughts here?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Scopes
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Fixed it for me?????
                                  Gonna ship me the two hunnerd bucks I'm short??? 😉! LOL!
                                  Thanks WAM!...
                                  Today, 09:06 AM
                                • Scopes
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Leopold used to pretty much be the "Gold Standard" for the everyday "Average Joe" deer hunter that wanted a better than average scope....
                                  12-01-2021, 03:43 PM
                                • Reply to Scopes
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Pmacc60, I keep forgetting the "Ladder Fiasco"!
                                  Glad to hear you're on the mend and doing well.
                                  Believe me, I'm well aware of being...
                                  Today, 09:04 AM
                                • Oxford School Shooting........
                                  by bowhunter75richard
                                  As if the school shooting itself was not bad enough, it now concerns the parents of the shooter being involved.

They were captured late last...
                                  Today, 08:06 AM
                                • Reply to Scopes
                                  by Pmacc60
                                  Thanks PH , best of luck to you !...
                                  Today, 07:43 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X