No announcement yet.

Well the builders bug has bitten again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well the builders bug has bitten again.

Well got the urge to build another ar-15. This time it’s a 12.5 barrel. 1-7 twist. With a kaw valley linear comp and an enhanced Bolt carrier group. I’m going to use th same lower that has the good trigger and springs in it.
    I’m actually thinking of using it deer hunting. That the reason for 1-7 to stabilize heavy and long for caliber bullets. It has about the same effective range as a 30-30. I figure it will do just fine and other what I’m going to let my grandsons use it also will have an adjustable gas block and a flat wire recoil spring so I can tune the recoil impulse for the kids and my wife.

I wish someone would have warned me that this is an addiction.

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
    Well got the urge to build another ar-15. This time it’s a 12.5 barrel. 1-7 twist. With a kaw valley linear comp and an enhanced Bolt carrier group. I’m going to use th same lower that has the good trigger and springs in it.
    I’m actually thinking of using it deer hunting. That the reason for 1-7 to stabilize heavy and long for caliber bullets. It has about the same effective range as a 30-30. I figure it will do just fine and other what I’m going to let my grandsons use it also will have an adjustable gas block and a flat wire recoil spring so I can tune the recoil impulse for the kids and my wife.

I wish someone would have warned me that this is an addiction.
    Can't remember if you're one of the guys who likes Pat McManus; he has a whole essay about the addiction of "Do it yourself-ism." Funny stuff.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=UY...elf%22&f=false

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Can't remember if you're one of the guys who likes Pat McManus; he has a whole essay about the addiction of "Do it yourself-ism." Funny stuff.
      https://books.google.com/books?id=UY...elf%22&f=false
      I do I will check it out when I get some time thank you.

Comment

milldawg wrote:
        "... I wish someone would have warned me that this is an addiction. ..."

😁 I think I tried to tell you that "building" AR's was a LOT of fun! 😁

I'm not sure about the addiction, but for sure it is contagious! LOL!
        Besides, I'm pretty sure I'M not the reason for YOUR addiction! 🤪😳

p.s. with your mention of the .30-30, I presume you're building a .300 BO?

Comment

No I only build 5.556

Comment

I do I will check it out when I get some time thank you.
            I've enjoyed Pat McManus since first reading his stories in F&S 50 some years ago. I take an occasional trip back rereading his books.

Try t.alibris.com, abe.com, or biblio.com. They each are online marketplaces for independent bookstores, and many advertise on all three. Any book you may want can be found or waitlisted on them. Remember Ed Zern and Corey Ford?

Comment

No I only build 5.556
              The AR platform will handle the 7.62×39 beautifully. That would probably just about duplicate the .30-30 Win in a semiauto platform.

The .300 Black Out (.300 ACC) also puts it right in that .30-30 class. The .300 BO is so popular, it is quite easy to find hunting ammo.
              Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-21-2021, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

The AR platform will handle the 7.62×39 beautifully. That would probably just about duplicate the .30-30 Win in a semiauto platform.

The .300 Black Out (.300 ACC) also puts it right in that .30-30 class. The .300 BO is so popular, it is quite easy to find hunting ammo.
                I stick to 5.56 because I’m lazy and a cheap skate. And the 7.62 mags for ar haven’t really found and the review super well. Because if I’m building an ar it’s duty ready also. Just the way my mind works.

Comment

I stick to 5.56 because I’m lazy and a cheap skate. And the 7.62 mags for ar haven’t really found and the review super well. Because if I’m building an ar it’s duty ready also. Just the way my mind works.
                  Super!
                  That's totally fine. I built probably 6 or 8 before I finally got "bored" with 5.56/.223 and decided to try a 6.8mm. It's amazing.
                  ....AND....the last AR I built was a .223 Wylde.

p.s. - I don't think you're lazy! Cheapskate? I guess that's betwixt you and Missus Mildawg! LOL!
                  Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-21-2021, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Super!
                    That's totally fine. I built probably 6 or 8 before I finally got "bored" with 5.56/.223 and decided to try a 6.8mm. It's amazing.
                    ....AND....the last AR I built was a .223 Wylde.

p.s. - I don't think you're lazy! Cheapskate? I guess that's betwixt you and Missus Mildawg! LOL!
                    She doesn’t know I build them in one part at a time like Johnny cash lol!

Comment

She doesn’t know I build them in one part at a time like Johnny cash lol!
                      That's what i.like about 'em too! 😃!

"I got it one piece at a time..."

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad