The AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The AR

How many on the site actually "have" an AR, much less "hunt" with an AR?

I know pighunter and redangus both hunt with AR's. DakotaMan says he varmint hunts with an AR.

Any other AR (deer) hunters out there?

Yup. I do a LOT of p-dog and target shooting. I've shot a few antelope with an AR just to try it out. Back when we could get 4 antelope tags each, I hunted one day with about a dozen guys and we shot 42 antelope in one day. As I recall, about 20 were with 25-06s (I got 2), 18 were with ARs (I got 2) and the rest were with 22-250s. The one .308 shooter never got one.

I've never used an AR on deer but various family members do regularly. Most shoot 55g Combined Technology or 60g Nosler Partition bullets and they are deadly out to 250 yards or so. In my 24" Bushmaster Varminter, I get them going almost 3400 fps, plenty fast enough for antelope and mule deer. My niece shot a nice buck facing us at 150 yards. Her CT 55g entered the center of the chest, penetrated the lungs, shattered three large vertebrae and exited just ahead of the hind quarters. the wound channel through the spine was large enough to poke your thumb through. Needless to say, he never left the tracks he was standing in when the shot went off.

I suspect most people think you shoot multiple 30 round magazines at a deer for a "spray and pray" approach. I've never seen that though and most places I hunt, we are limited to a 5 round magazine and I rarely see anyone shoot more than 1 shot at a deer.

I recently built a modified 6mm AR upper. I extended the case base-to-shoulder length .020" so it is little higher in capacity than the 6mm ARC. I neck down 6.5 Grendels to 6mm and fireform the caser so it is larger. I shoot the 6mm 105 Berger Hybrid and the 108g ELD. My most accurate load goes about 2820 fps so it is fine for deer but is way slow for antelope. It is great for target shooting out to 1000 yards or so.

My friend shot 6 deer from 300-350 yards with his 6mm ARC last fall. All were bang/flops. He has been shooting his ARC out to 1100 yards and hits 12" disks almost every time. I haven't shot mine much yet but hope to soon. I have not found a primer for sale since September of 2020 so I have suspended experimenting with my 6mm AR until primers are available. I have recently found CFE223 and LeverEvolution powders though so I am almost ready to go again if I can find that AR lower I dropped out of my boat.
    Last edited by DakotaMan; 05-10-2021, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
      Yup. I do a LOT of p-dog and target shooting. I've shot a few antelope with an AR just to try it out. Back when we could get 4 antelope tags each, I hunted one day with about a dozen guys and we shot 42 antelope in one day. As I recall, about 20 were with 25-06s (I got 2), 18 were with ARs (I got 2) and the rest were with 22-250s. The one .308 shooter never got one.

I've never used an AR on deer but various family members do regularly. Most shoot 55g Combined Technology or 60g Nosler Partition bullets and they are deadly out to 250 yards or so. In my 24" Bushmaster Varminter, I get them going almost 3400 fps, plenty fast enough for antelope and mule deer. My niece shot a nice buck facing us at 150 yards. Her CT 55g entered the center of the chest, penetrated the lungs, shattered three large vertebrae and exited just ahead of the hind quarters. the wound channel through the spine was large enough to poke your thumb through. Needless to say, he never left the tracks he was standing in when the shot went off.

I suspect most people think you shoot multiple 30 round magazines at a deer for a "spray and pray" approach. I've never seen that though and most places I hunt, we are limited to a 5 round magazine and I rarely see anyone shoot more than 1 shot at a deer.

I recently built a modified 6mm AR upper. I extended the case base-to-shoulder length .020" so it is little higher in capacity than the 6mm ARC. I neck down 6.5 Grendels to 6mm and fireform the caser so it is larger. I shoot the 6mm 105 Berger Hybrid and the 108g ELD. My most accurate load goes about 2820 fps so it is fine for deer but is way slow for antelope. It is great for target shooting out to 1000 yards or so.

My friend shot 6 deer from 300-350 yards with his 6mm ARC last fall. All were bang/flops. He has been shooting his ARC out to 1100 yards and hits 12" disks almost every time. I haven't shot mine much yet but hope to soon. I have not found a primer for sale since September of 2020 so I have suspended experimenting with my 6mm AR until primers are available. I have recently found CFE223 and LeverEvolution powders though so I am almost ready to go again if I can find that AR lower I dropped out of my boat.
      what primers does the AR use ?

Comment

Jimbo: "What primers does the AR use ?"
        Regular small rifle primers. I use CCI400s for the AR because I keep pressure under 50,000 PSI. I've had a tough time getting CCI450 for my 6mm Dasher and my various Creedmoors. No luck getting either since September.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
          Jimbo: "What primers does the AR use ?"
          Regular small rifle primers. I use CCI400s for the AR because I keep pressure under 50,000 PSI. I've had a tough time getting CCI450 for my 6mm Dasher and my various Creedmoors. No luck getting either since September.
          For whatever reason, Remington is the only ammo maker that primes the 6.8mm Rem SPC with a large rifle primer.
          All other producers use small rifle primers and crimp them in place.
          I think Winchester has started loading 6.8mm ammo. I haven't seen any yet.

Comment

I was going to hunt with mine until I dropped it getting out of a boat last week in The middle of Mississippi River. I was planning on using Barnes bullets and putting a leupold on one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
              I was going to hunt with mine until I dropped it getting out of a boat last week in The middle of Mississippi River. I was planning on using Barnes bullets and putting a leupold on one of them.
              I hate it when that happens.

Comment

Quite a few of the small, local farm ponds in Oklahoma have little islands of lost AR's forming in them! LOL!

Comment

Nope, sold all of mine at an Idaho gun show when the asking prices went through the roof in this current madness. Never shot them at anything anyway. Happy Trails

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                    Quite a few of the small, local farm ponds in Oklahoma have little islands of lost AR's forming in them! LOL!
                    Rotflmoa!!!

Comment

The only thing I would ever hunt with an AR would be an armed intruder in my home or neighborhood. Since I lost my AR when Mikey turned the boat over in Trinity Bay, I guess that option is out, and I will be forced to rely on a short barrel shotgun.

Comment

You guys keep losing AR's and nobody will have to buy an AR. Everybody will be walking around, tripping over lost AR's like dead sticks in the woods. 👀

Maybe I should develop "AR Glue"!

"Just a small dab on you palms and you'll never drop another AR!"
                        preferred by the U.S. military to keep clumsy, new recruits from dropping their AR's or touching privates!
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 05-18-2021, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad