M1 Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1 Garand

Got a young friend who bought a M1 Garand in .30-06.

He was told to only shoot "mil-surp" ammo as modern ammo was too hot and could damage his gun.

1) "IF" the gun is mechanically sound, shouldn't it be able to handle any factory ammo on the market?

2)is there an "after market", adjustable gas piston that would allow the gun to handle hotter loads?

The Garand operating rod and gas system can be damaged by hot loads. I haven't used hot loads in mine and don't plan to. Load manuals sometimes have special sections for the Garand. My loads have always been within the recommended charts.

Here's some answers to your questions in this Gun Digest article:

M1 Garand Ammo: What Should You Shoot in Your M1? | Gun Digest

Comment

pighunter, I found the same article and forwarded the link to the young man.
      He's in his early 20's and has a liking for older (WW I & II) military arms.
      Good kid.
      Thanx!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
        pighunter, I found the same article and forwarded the link to the young man.
        He's in his early 20's and has a liking for older (WW I & II) military arms.
        Good kid.
        Thanx!
        Bubba, my best advice is to shoot quality handloads in the rifle. I use 180gr B-tips over 4064 for mine and may hunt with it a time or two this Fall.

Here's the Hogdgon data:
        m1-final-data.pdf (hodgdon.com)

Here's an article on one guy's search for a good load:
        M1 Garand Handloads | Handloader Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Bubba, my best advice is to shoot quality handloads in the rifle. I use 180gr B-tips over 4064 for mine and may hunt with it a time or two this Fall.

Here's the Hogdgon data:

Right now, this young man doesn't reload and I don't have a set of dies. If he continues on the road he's on, I can see him reloading in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Right now, this young man doesn't reload and I don't have a set of dies. If he continues on the road he's on, I can see him reloading in the future.
            Sounds like a great opportunity to pass on knowledge. If you get along with him, have him buy a set of dies and components then teach how it's done. You could even provide some of the components.

Life's too short and you should be passing on what you know while you can. I've never seen a U-Haul trailer hooked to a hearse so maybe you could give him some of your surplus loading equipment.

Besides, you too could have some fun shooting that Garand!
            Last edited by PigHunter; 05-06-2021, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a great opportunity to pass on knowledge. If you get along with him, have him buy a set of dies and components then teach how it's done. You could even provide some of the components.

Life's too short and you should be passing on what you know while you can. I've never seen a U-Haul trailer hooked to a hearse so maybe you could give him some of your surplus loading equipment.

Besides, you too could have some fun shooting that Garand!
              You're too good!
              I have already helped (instructed?) him assemble his first AR and we have already discussed reloading! LOL!

Comment

The Garand operating rod and gas system can be damaged by hot loads. I haven't used hot loads in mine and don't plan to. Load manuals sometimes have special sections for the Garand. My loads have always been within the recommended charts.

Here's some answers to your questions in this Gun Digest article:

M1 Garand Ammo: What Should You Shoot in Your M1? | Gun Digest
                Good article. I always heard 4895 was a powder of choice for the Garand

Comment

Here's the Hogdgon data:

The article said to use the lighter 150gr. I think the Military M-2 was 168gr.
                  They did not mention but I think you should use SB die.
                  Last edited by jhjimbo; 05-07-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

The article said to use the lighter 150gr. I think the Military M-2 was 168gr.
                    They did not mention but I think you should use SB die.
                    Some semi autos function just fine with "Full Length" resized brass.
                    Personally, I always use SB dies to resize brass for semi autos.

Comment

I seriously doubt the original Garand barrels were manufactured with tight chambers. Mine has digested everything I've fed it over the last 30+ years.

Mild loads of IMR 4064 with 180gr B-Tips produce 1 MOA groups from my rifle using the military iron sights. But every rifle is different and another could do better with 4895 and 150gr.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad