One of the Best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the Best

How to turn the Winchester Model 94, 30-30, one of the best white tail lever action rifles. Into a better lever action deer rifle.
    I tried the Hornady Leverevolution 160grFTX and the results were impressive. I fired two shots and the chronograph results were 2453 and 2452fps. That is impressive. With the pointed flextip bullet and a few hundred more fps than regular ammo this has to add many yards to the range of the Winchester. A peep sight on the action or stock would help in the accuracy department. My deer slayer Winchester is vintage 1956.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	winchester '94 004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	767292
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 02-10-2021, 12:03 AM.

Jim, I really like rifle! The Hornady FTX is a game changer. What kind of accuracy are you getting?

My gunsmith friend is a Henry dealer and has been getting a few of their side gate lever actions. There's a tactical version in .30-30 that interests me, complete with threaded barrel for my suppressor.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      Jim, I really like rifle! The Hornady FTX is a game changer. What kind of accuracy are you getting?

My gunsmith friend is a Henry dealer and has been getting a few of their side gate lever actions. There's a tactical version in .30-30 that interests me, complete with threaded barrel for my suppressor.

At the turn of the 20th century, the US military considered a lever gun for the next issue. Shot repetition was faster without losing sight picture than the bolt.

Comment

I haven’t shot a deer with my 30-30. But that is all I use is flex-tip ammo. With my old Winchester that got destroyed in the burglary I could get 1.5 groups off hand with crappy factory sights at 50 yards. The replacement marlin sights are so bad in my opinion I can’t hit crap with a huge brass bead under a dark hood. Removed hood not impressed. I am eventually going to order peep and fiber optics but I have already bought bases for it have rings somewhere and waiting to catch a 1-5 or 2-7 on sale and going to set it up for the grandsons. Maybe even put a red dot on it for for fun. All I know is the new marlin is stiff and as all get out needs a few hundred round down the pipe with no cleaning of the action to work it smooth. Have the ammo just no time.

Comment

The last time I shot it I had taken the insert in the peep sight out for deer hunting. I would guess with the target insert in the peep it might do better than 2". I have a Marlin 336 that was a factory package with a scope. That shot about 1 1/2 right out of the box using the Leverloution and is not really even broke in. I picked it up as a back up when I go to the Adirondacks. Bought it from Dunhams for $240 out the door. Must have been marked down because they were moving. Very nice fit and finish.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            The last time I shot it I had taken the insert in the peep sight out for deer hunting. I would guess with the target insert in the peep it might do better than 2". I have a Marlin 336 that was a factory package with a scope. That shot about 1 1/2 right out of the box using the Leverloution and is not really even broke in. I picked it up as a back up when I go to the Adirondacks. Bought it from Dunhams for $240 out the door. Must have been marked down because they were moving. Very nice fit and finish.
            Mine is a 2018 model metal finish is nice wood finish leaves something to be desired. But Remington pretty well effed up everything they touched the last few years they were open. So when I can find an older model I may snatch it up just to have and let that one be safe Queen.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
              Mine is a 2018 model metal finish is nice wood finish leaves something to be desired. But Remington pretty well effed up everything they touched the last few years they were open. So when I can find an older model I may snatch it up just to have and let that one be safe Queen.
              Does it have the 'M' ?

Comment

Does it have the 'M' ?
                Not sure haven’t looked at in a 18 months or longer where would this “M” be located.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post

Not sure haven’t looked at in a 18 months or longer where would this “M” be located.
                  By the caliber stamp or manuf address. Not very big. Both my 336 and 1894 .450 have the m.
                  Some say they are better made. I don't know, both mine shoot good.

Comment

Ok thanks. The machining on mine is a absolutely wonderful. The action is tight not binding up tight but close tolerance tight indicating great work. It cycles great what I have fed it so far. It really needs the better sights or a scope. I’ve got to get it going those grandson of mine aren’t getting any younger.

Comment

Marlin, with it's "Micro-Groove" rifling (16 lands and grooves) is one of THE most accurate on the market.
                      The Marlin produced little "El Cheapo" model 61 is the most accurate "out of the box" .22 on the market. They just aren't popular.
                      Last edited by FirstBubba; 02-17-2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

get some Hornady Leverlution is you want to shoot over 150yda.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                          Marlin, with it's "Micro-Groove" rifling (16 lands and grooves) is one of THE most accurate on the market.
                          The Marlin produced little "El Cheapo" model 61 is the most accurate "out of the box" .22 on the market. They just aren't popular.
                          I’ve got 3 model model 60s for that reason

Comment

get some Hornady Leverlution is you want to shoot over 150yda.
                            Got several boxes of the stuff.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad