New scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New scope

I'm looking at buying a new scope for target shooting out to 1000 yards. I would to keep it under 1500 dollars. I have looked at vortex and leupolds. I have several leupolds and I have been pleased with all of them ,but I also hear good things about the vortex scopes. Which do you guys prefer? I would also be open to other brands.

Not my thing, but search SWFA SS.

Comment

Buy once cry once.

Comment

As long as it doesn’t have China on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lwh4207 View Post
          I'm looking at buying a new scope for target shooting out to 1000 yards. I would to keep it under 1500 dollars. I have looked at vortex and leupolds. I have several leupolds and I have been pleased with all of them ,but I also hear good things about the vortex scopes. Which do you guys prefer? I would also be open to other brands.
          Send DakotaMan a private message - he shoots over 1000. Midway has good sales from time to time. Jim

Comment

Zeiss V-6 or even V-4 rifle scopes are really good for entry level long range scopes. Leupold and vortex are options as well. Ernie on this site is a great source as well for the long range shooting and WAM has been a serious user of good glass !Both have solid opinions and experience.

Comment

I've used a couple of Vortex scopes. They aren't too bad, but they STILL ain't a "Leupold"!

I'm not a long range shooter, but even a Leupold designed for that kind of shooting will probably eat up your $1500 pretty quickly.
              milldawg, is correct. Paying less and saying "Good enough." just doesn't satisfy. You'll end up saying, "Wish I'd bought better!".

For long range shooting, look at "Leatherwood" and "Nightforce" scopes.

Comment

As I remember you were doing some long range shooting, try the forum Longrangehunting . It is a great site and they have plenty of knowledge on rifle scopes as well as a excellent resource for buying used long range equipment . Great guys as well.

Comment

Yes I do some shooting out to 800 yards. But I got a skid steer for Christmas and cleared out a couple hundred more yards of brush on my shooting range. 800 yards is about as far as I can shoot with my current set up. So I'd like to get something to reach out farther.

Comment

Originally posted by Lwh4207 View Post
                    What kind of distance shooting do you plan on doing?
                    Steel?
                    Paper?
                    Fun?
                    Competitions?
                    Chambering, brand and model of your rifle?

Leupold VX-5's
                    Sightron S-III 6-24
                    These will both do a you a good job for under $1500
                    If you are doing comps, I will need to know what kind

Comment

Just shooting steel and paper for fun. I don't competition shoot. I am going to put this scope on my 300 win mag browning xbolt hells canyon long range. Or my ruger 7mm-08. But most likely the browning.

Comment

I would just go with the Sightron S-III 6-24 (you can get it with the reticle in either FFP or SFP). It will do everything you want. I have one on my 375 Chey-Tac single-shot pistol, and used it beyond 2,000 yards.

Comment

Burris XTR-II in either 3-15 or 4-20 would work great too. I like their reticle better than Sightron's

Comment

Where do you get your scopes from Ernie?

Comment

Go on various online retailers, and search for the best price

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Merrit Garland
                                by crm3006
                                He, she or it is truly one perverted, disgusting sub-human. It would fit right in with the perverts, weirdos and oddball idjits that bite-me has surrounded...
                                Today, 08:00 PM
                              • Merrit Garland
                                by jhjimbo
                                Candidate for Attorney General. Did you know in 2000 Garland was responsible for keeping background check applications on file, AGAINST Federal law....
                                Yesterday, 07:10 PM
                                by labrador12
                                The dude identifies as a women. He totally dicked up the Pa response to the chicom flu. He is a big fan of chemically castrating children so that they...
                                Today, 07:42 PM
                                by Danbo
                                https://citizenfreepress.com/breakin...strating-kids/

Today, 07:40 PM
                                by FirstBubba
                                The HHS nominee is Xavier Bacerra, one time AG from the state of Californicate!
                                Dude is a REAL piece of work!...
                                Today, 07:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X