A Weatherby kiss in the making.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Weatherby kiss in the making.

You lean into a rifle. These two are going to go down or at the least hurt their back.

Comment

Yipes! It gives me the creeps just looking at those pics. It reminds me of one incident long ago. I had an acquaintance on my shooting team that was exceptionally arrogant and viewed himself as the foremost expert on everything. He got a new .300 Weatherby and was rightfully quite proud of it. We were going coyote hunting and he decided to zero the scope on the new rifle at our first stop. He laid prone on the ice over the Missouri river and aimed at a nearby target. I noticed that the scope was exceptionally far back and his posture put him right on the scope. I mentioned it to him as it looked a bit like these pictures. He pitched into a lengthy narrative regarding his perfect posture and the fact that he could handle any rifle, etc. etc.

I almost hated to watch but when he pulled the trigger he shot back about five feet on the ice instantly. His glasses were cut in half and he just laid there with a stunned look while blood puddled on the ice from a deep one inch cut on his forehead.

Most people only do that once.
      Last edited by DakotaMan; 01-08-2021, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I learned a lesson I will pass on. I was shooting one of my Weatherby's and had a baseball style hat on. Well, not knowing, the brim was up against the rear ring on the scope. The recoil transferred back through the hat brim and directly into my forehead. Ouch!!!! Turn those hats around. You only do something like that once.
        Like in the above pictures a common mistake is leaning back instead of forward. I guess people that lean back think they are getting away from recoil.
        Also, never put a high recoil firearm in the hands of a novice 'for a few laughs'. You do the shooting industry no good by scaring people away from firearms. There are tons of YouTube videos showing shooters being injured by recoil. It is no laughing matter. Also, never hold a stock against something that does not give, like a tree, as that might just bust your stock. JMO

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad