Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well pretty sure I’ve been bitten by the builders bug.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well pretty sure I’ve been bitten by the builders bug.

Been ordering slowly the parts to build a reliable carbine. Uncertain times and all. Ordering all the proper tools well better tools. And recently been thinking about building a 350 legend. Thinking it would be a good kids rifle for the boys. Does anyone have any experience with it yet. I prefer the feedback from the forum not an article written that is a thinly disguised add. Thank you for any input advice. Also any hidden gem ar parts advice would be great. When I finally get a chance to shoot my pistol I will post a review of parts and performance. Thank you in advance.

No sir on the .350 Legend.

Honestly, milldawg, since I started building (2010), they (?) have come out with butt loads of "new", and I use that term loosely! LOL!, cartridges.
    Let's start with a plus or two.
    The .350 LGND is definitely a deer capable cartridge.
    The .350 LGND is a soft recoiling, AR15 friendly cartridge.
    The .350 LGND in an AR15 would DEFINITELY be a deer capable, youngster friendly hunting rifle.

Now, let me give you a few (?) of MY percieved opinions! 😉! 🤔!

1) ammo availability: I can't think of a single instance of seeing .350 LGND ammo on a shelf! ...and I check Academy every chance I get plus M&P stores.
    2) you're a reloader:
    The .350 LGND is a "proprieproprietary" cartridge.

*(350 Legend has no parent case. However, 350 Legend uses the same .378 nominal rim diameter as 223 Rem. The 350 Legend shellcase is a new design that maximizes terminal performance while optimizing the ability to extract from a variety of firearms.)

Though it shares a common head diameter and common case length, you can't make .350 LGND brass with spent 5.56/.223 brass
    .. or vice versa.
    3) alternatives:
    For a .30-30 class cartridge in an AR platform, it's going to be hard to out do the old 7.62×39 or even the .300 BO (Blackout or it's other name, the .300 ACC)

Now, those are just opinions!
    What caliber you build is, of course, up to you.
    red angus and pighunter both use the .300 BO quite effectively. I would use the .300 BO. I just prefer the 6.8mm Rem SPC II.
    I've used the 6.8mm (.277 cal) very effectively also.

I have a 5.56/.223 simply due to the availability of ammo. I do not like the caliber...AND...I don't burn up my 6.8mm ammo on varmints! 😀!

P.S. the 6.8mm "parent" case is the discontinued .30 Rem.
    It isn't a "proprietary" case, but it may as well be! LOL!

What ever caliber you select, have fun!

* - I know you didn't want a "cut & paste", but I figured this would be okay.
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 01-03-2021, 02:47 PM.

Comment

My current AR lineup:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210103_125327.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	765251 Anderson lower, upper and barrel.
      1:10 ROT
      6.8mm Rem SPC II
      Leupold "Freedom" 1.5-4×20 w/ "Pig Plex" reticle.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20210103_125419.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	765252 Anderson lower and upper. Barrel is a *Bear Creek Arsenal heavy, "spiral fluted" and free floated. 1:8 ROT
      5.56/.223
      Leupold "Freedom" 3-9×40 w/ duplex reticle.

* - looking for something different, I stumbled into the BCA barrel on sale for $58! 😀! That was different enough for me! LOL!

Comment

Don't underestimate the value of the "drop in" Geissele (pro: "guys-lee") triggers.
        Unfortunately, they're $200 plus bucks!

Comment

I have heard people say this place has everything - good prices. I have not bought from them, just hearsay. palmetto arms - Bing
          There is an article on the .350 but I won't post it as you said you don't trust them.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            Don't underestimate the value of the "drop in" Geissele (pro: "guys-lee") triggers.
            Unfortunately, they're $200 plus bucks!
            Found dirty bird industries nickel Teflon trigger with kaw valley reduced power trigger springs. It’s light and smooth. Feels better than my two stage competition trigger in my other rifle. But haven’t had a chance to use it yet but for 55 bucks for trigger and springs it’s worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              I have heard people say this place has everything - good prices. I have not bought from them, just hearsay. palmetto arms - Bing
              There is an article on the .350 but I won't post it as you said you don't trust them.
              Palmetto state armory. They used to have good prices but they price gouge and it’s only gotten worse. They used to sell their bolt carrier groups for 49.99 year ago now they want 129.99 and they were 99.99 in august of last year. So I don’t deal with them. And I do try to buy local lowers and small parts. I use ar15discounts.com. Great customer service and good prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post

Found dirty bird industries nickel Teflon trigger with kaw valley reduced power trigger springs. It’s light and smooth. Feels better than my two stage competition trigger in my other rifle. But haven’t had a chance to use it yet but for 55 bucks for trigger and springs it’s worth a try.
                Try that bugger out!
                If it's worth it, let me know. I'll give it a whirl.

My favorite place to order from is Primary Arms in Pearland, Tex.
                Good folks.
                Good prices.
                I've ordered early in the morning and got my order the next day in Okla!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Try that bugger out!
                  If it's worth it, let me know. I'll give it a whirl.

My favorite place to order from is Primary Arms in Pearland, Tex.
                  Good folks.
                  Good prices.
                  I've ordered early in the morning and got my order the next day in Okla!
                  Been looking at their new red dot with shake awake. Also check out kakindustires .com they make lots of other peoples stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post

Been looking at their new red dot with shake awake. Also check out kakindustires .com they make lots of other peoples stuff
                    Super!
                    Thanx!
                    I've got a 6.8mm bbl in the safe, waiting for a cascade of parts! LOL!

Comment

These are always a fun project. I have really enjoyed testing my new 6mm AR that I made using a worn/used (already had 3000 rounds as a 6mm Creedmoor) 21 3/4" Bartlien 1:8 5R barrel. Since I cut the barrel and reamed the chamber myself, I decided to push the base-to-shoulder length out .020 beyond 6.5 Grendel specs, hoping for about 100 fps additional velocity over the 6mm ARC. It worked and I am simply amazed at the accuracy and deer hunting power of this powerful AR cartridge. It gets about 125 fps more velocity than the 6mm ARC which is also an amazing cartridge.

I'm still testing loads for it but it shoots everything from 58g varmint bullets at 3500 fps to the 108 ELD at 2790. I started seeing signs of pressure with the 108 ELD at 2840 fps and found a nice accuracy node at 2790 fps. These all shoot well, capable of less than 1" groups at 100 yards. With the .5" groups I'm seeing at 100 yards, the 105g-109 bullets should be able to hit a 6" gong almost every time at 600 yards.

My buddy made a 6mm ARC at the same time and we compare notes. The effective deer range for both of these rifles is 500 yards using the 108 ELD bullet. My buddy has shot 9 deer with his so far from 250-350 yards. Every one of them dropped dead in their tracks.

If you want something to rival the usefulness of your 25-06 in an AR, I suggest considering these cartridges. There is no way, I'd be shooting a slug gun like the .350 Legend when I could be knocking deer (or anything else) flat out to 500 yards with something that can shoot dimes at 100 yards. I put a nice Geislee 2-stage trigger (1lb or 3lb trigger pull) in my lower and I switch uppers between the 6mm AR and a .223 with a 24" barrel shooting 50g Vmaxs at 3450 fps for coyotes. I feel like I'm ready for anything and the combination is pretty hard to beat. I feel very set for everything from prairie dogs to deer with this combination. I can even shoot antelope well with the 55g Nosler in the .223. I need that velocity to make running shots very predictable, even with antelope. The 6mm AR will sure get them out to 500 yards if they are standing still but about half of my antelope shots are on the run.

Enjoy your project and have fun.
                      Last edited by DakotaMan; 01-05-2021, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Good info Dakota man. Except i don’t have the time to reload especially since we started this business and I maintain my job. But I am contemplating building a very expensive lower with expensive trigger the whole nine yards. And being upper poor.

Comment

Reading an article about building AR's yesterday, the subject of "upper/lower quality" came up.
                          The writer was of the opinion that due to "mil-spec", all uppers/lowers are pretty much the same.
                          One brand name he covered pretty well drilled their holes .002" over.
                          I'm supposing to ease assembly.
                          He also felt that as long as the upper/lower was built out of T-7076 aluminum, so what?
                          If you want to spend upwards of $150 for a Yankee Hill or Spyder lower, go for it. The $49.99 stripped Anderson works just as well and does the same stuff.

Comment

By expensive I mean aero precision 100 buck lower. And a nice trigger with the double safety. And jp silent capture buffer. And several different stocks.

Comment

My lower is Anderson with just ordered an Anderson upper pistol is aero precision.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad