Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any new thoughts on reaming a 17HMR to 17WSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any new thoughts on reaming a 17HMR to 17WSM?

I saw a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Lite falling block in 17HMR. Does anyone see an issue with reaming this rifle to 17WSM? And, I don't need any comments about the 17 being useless. I like it and that's all that matters.

If I remember the .17WSM operates at 10,000 psi more than the 17HMR. So it depends on how strong the rifle is, check with a gunsmith.
    I know I thought about converting a .22mag into the WSM and found it can not handle the pressure. Be Safe. I love my 17WSM.

Dusty, let us know how you make out.Click image for larger version  Name:	Savage B Mag  .17WSM 003.JPG Views:	59 Size:	862.6 KB ID:	763461
    jhjimbo
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 12-17-2020, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty47 View Post
      I saw a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Lite falling block in 17HMR. Does anyone see an issue with reaming this rifle to 17WSM? And, I don't need any comments about the 17 being useless. I like it and that's all that matters.
      Dusty , calm down that’s a big chip on your shoulder. There are a lot of guys on the site who are 17 rimfire fans and as Jim already has posted loves the 17 wsm. Your best bet is to contact a gunsmith and see if the miniature sharps action can handle the pressure . If it can you seem to be on a nice project, The 17 WSM is a very powerful rimfire round and I think it would have been much better received if the ammo didn’t have problems when it was released. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Comment

I think the action would be strong enough, no magazine to cause issues. Only question is are the bolt faces different enough to cause primer/firing pin striking problems since it's a rimfire. Can't just open bolt face like a centerfire so cost could be high, if possible. Cool idea.👍

Comment

Fun little rounds, good for hunting small game. For target shooting 22lr is probably better due to availability. Between the two I would go with the .17 WSM, the HMR is not designed to operate in semi autos and some tricky stuff is required to make it safe. The WSM doesn't have as many issues. Small game I prefer a semi or lever - tree rats, gophers, etc can be dumb enough to watch their buddy get blown away and not move for a few seconds that you can Nox Vidmate VLC followup with a second shot.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad