Got a new brass tumbler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new brass tumbler

I intend to use it for other than bullet casings. The instructions recommend using walnut shell medium to do an initial cleaning, then polish with another treated medium. The kit came with walnut and corn cob media.

What do you folks recommend?

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
    I intend to use it for other than bullet casings. The instructions recommend using walnut shell medium to do an initial cleaning, then polish with another treated medium. The kit came with walnut and corn cob media.

What do you folks recommend?
    Brass tumbler? Won't it make the whiskey taste funny?🤪!

Comment

franchi20, I've not spent much time experimenting with different polishing medias.
      I'm still using the same tumbler I've had for about 30 years now. So.....?

I started with treated walnut shell media. It worked just fine. After about 10 years, between spills, dumps and cleaning out cases, it got low and I needed to replenish.
      I just tossed my old treated media in the garbage and headed to town. All I could find was untreated corn cob and since I had tossed the old media, I couldn't just "add to" for a mixed media.
      The corncob worked fine, but was everloving slow.
      About 12 years ago, I ordered some rouge treated nut shell media.
      That stuff works wonders.
      They've got some ceramic media now than I understand works even better! 😃! My old tightwad self, I've still got a couple of pounds of the nut shell media. Other than turning my fingers red when I dig the cases out, I'll keep using it.

I guess these days, the only restrictions are your budget and your quirks.

Some guys use those ultrasonic cleaners with the liquid media. I hear they are quite the "cat's meow"!

To me, it's hard to beat plain old treated nut shell media, but whatever you choose, good luck.

Comment

The kit included polish to be added at the rate of 3 tsp. per pound of medium. So, untreated walnut to clean and treated corcob to polish?

Comment

I like walnut. The corncob seems to generate more dust. I don't run the cases through twice.

Comment

I just knock off any extraneous exterior dirt, toss them in the tumbler (Lyman "Turbo-Tumbler"), turn it on out in the shop and wait.
            Viola!
            Twenty four hours later (...or whenever I remember the tumbler is on)!
            Nice shiny cases.

Not sure why, but one of the little inane, boring, self satisfying chores I enjoy is unloading the tumbler.
            Check the cases for splits separations or other imperfections, clean polishing media out of the flash hole and wipe with a clean soft cloth and sort by caliber.

Comment

Nice that you guys put in, but I'm interested in the effect of different media on brass objects. I understand your years of experience involves cases but I need to figure out if this will work for larger objects. I'll figure it out. Go or no go. Experience.
              Last edited by franchi20; 10-07-2020, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0273.JPG Views:	19 Size:	936.1 KB ID:	753385 I have tried them all on cases and other things and have switched to the steel rods. They do the best job of any of them. Also, they do not wear out. I have posted pictures of the results of using the rods. The rods also do a good job on primer pockets.
                Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-09-2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

franchi20, I've tried a few different items, but brass cases are pretty much the limit of my success.
                  It could be that my "tumbler" actually "vibrates" rather than "tumbles".
                  I actually wanted a drum tumbler but ended up with the Lyman "Turbo". Works great on brass.
                  Not so much on other "stuff".

Now I remember! I had some sterling silver pieces I wanted to polish. The irregular surface of the belt buckle set wasn't good.
                  The high spots polished up fine. The little recesses and crevices filled up with "rouge", had to be manually brushed out and stayed dark because it literally, did not polish.
                  That was the nut shell rouge media. I didn't try the corncob.
                  Last edited by FirstBubba; 10-08-2020, 12:32 AM.

Comment

When my old tumbler gave out several years ago I bought a cheap Frankfort Arsenal vibrating cleaner. I use untreated corn cob media and treat it with the Frankfort Arsenal polish. When the media gets too dirty I throw it out and put new in. I have used it several years and am happy with the job it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
                      When my old tumbler gave out several years ago I bought a cheap Frankfort Arsenal vibrating cleaner. I use untreated corn cob media and treat it with the Frankfort Arsenal polish. When the media gets too dirty I throw it out and put new in. I have used it several years and am happy with the job it does.
                      Mine is also a Frankfort Arsinal. The previous owner ordered the kit and extra treated walnut medium, but never used anything.

Here is a picture of my project. (I don't reload.) Used the walnut shell medium.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad