Savage 111 .300 Win Mag (custom)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage 111 .300 Win Mag (custom)

First thing first... this is my first hunting rifle. I purchased it 5 years ago. It was in the box, and an average shooting machine. I reduced the trigger pull, and whoa ok nice. Then after 20 rounds I wanted to cry because of a bad shoulder from the Marines... oh well had to clean the sand up, and get back to it. So I bought different ammo, "Winchester White box, -bad", "Federal " -bad", "Remington CORE lock- good". I seriously doubted my shooting skills and my three time expert rifle badge at this point. I decided because of bad eyes, bad shoulder and ok ammo that it was the scope. I bought a Vortex, VIPER FFP 6-24x50 with illuminated reticle, and matching vortex rings. Put the scope on myself. Watch me shoot now? Nope the best I could do at a hundred yards was a milk jug 7 out 10. I took my rifle home and put it away. I bought a 22 old bolt and practiced. A year later, I said I am going to re-zero my rifle with a solid platform, clean barrel, reset scope, and Rockstar. JJDIDTIE the BUCKLE.... I was in the black at 100 yards and held zero for 20 rounds. 1 year later I decided let us learn how to hand load. $650 rifle worth the hand load? Well with a lot of help from Hornady, and Norma, I took my Winchester, Federal and Remington cases and made a 180SST with IMR4350 hand load give a .75" group at 100 yards. Ok. So now I have some confidence. I go squirrel hunting with the .22 and I am just producing a solid judgement day. I go back to range and shoot at 300 yards. Crap where did my zero go, and now I am going to the freezer for ice for my shoulder. So I got a feather in my hat, bought a muzzle brake, and cut 2" off the barrel, with the installation of the brake, and moving on up to the 210 SMK BTHP with H1000, lets see where this gets me. Any comments good or bad... I am a Marine I will not be "triggered"...Thanks and Semper FI. BY the WAY: First ever White Tail hunt for my 40th Birthday in November... all with my Savage 111 Chambered in .300 WinMag behind a Kahn 3Gun muzzle brake wearing a viper with SMK 210 pew pews.

First, thank you and God bless for the service you did thus keeping me and mine safe. Second, no advice or comment for you only a question. If you are hunting whitetail deer, why a 300 Win mag? Again for your sacrifice, my thanks and respect.

Comment

You are very welcome and it was an honor. Why 300? Seriously? Because I wanted a bang. I was told I could hunt any large game I wanted. I knew enough to be informed but not enough that made me realize I would be modifying the heck out of this rifle. All said and done I will have spent $3500 on rifle, optics and rings, muzzle brake, full length mounting rail, bipod, and maybe a new BoYDS STOCK FOR FUN!!!! Haha I wanted a tried and true gun that maybe could be tuned up to a bear or down to a coyote, as or if I ever wanted. I think it was a salty old geezer at Bass Pro that spent two hours talking to me. Thanks Hank if you ever read this.

Comment

Mr. Allen, I think you've picked a good platform and cartridge. What distances do you plan to be shooting at deer and what accuracy are you trying to achieve?

I'm a self-taught shooter / hunter, never been in the military, never fired a shot in conflict. But here's what works for me.

On a heavy recoiling rifle, I switch out the factory pad for a Limb Saver. My heavy is a single-shot .45-70 and it kicks like a 12 gauge shooting slugs. The recoil pad is a big help.
        https://limbsaver.com/products/airte...fit-recoil-pad

At the range to keep from developing a flinch, I use a Caldwell Ambidextrous Shooting Recoil Shield. Of course I don't wear that in the field when hunting. But, it does simulate wearing heavy winter clothing so that's an added benefit.
        https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Plus...s%2C163&sr=8-6

For a deer rifle, I'm looking for 1.5 MOA or better accuracy. I'm dancing a jig if the rifle is consistently under 1 MOA. But that's from a good rest, shooting from a bench. My field shooting of course depends on position / hold. I can't say I'm all that good, but I bring home the game despite my sometimes poor marksmanship. Most of my shots are less than 100 yards and realistically a rifle of 4 MOA accuracy is probably good enough. But it's great to know I could hit a deer at 300 if needed, and thus the desire for the better accuracy.

The deer kill zone is rather large and the old standard is to be able to keep all shots within an 8-inch paper plate at the max distance you plan to shoot. As a new hunter, but with shooting skills, it will be natural for you to over-think the situation. I know because that's exactly what I did when starting to hunt deer in my 30's. Trust me, you'll understand after you drop the first one or two that most deer hunting doesn't require military sniper precision.

Back in my early 30's when I was first learning to hunt deer. I'd read an interesting deer hunting pamphlet written by Jim Carmichael. One illustration of shot placement was a bird's eye depiction of shot angles on a deer to hit the kill zone...

Carmichael also discussed hold over and sighting in with respect to bullet drop, etc.

Dad and I split up that morning, I carried an un-scoped M1 Garand with it's battle peep sights, and he with his old Winchester Model 94 in .32 Winchester Special, also with just factory iron sights. Shortly after sunrise I heard him shoot one round. But we'd agreed to not meet back at the truck until 10 so I continued sitting in my tree stand. Later, as I walked up to the vehicle, there was Dad and a spike buck he'd shot. Wow!

Of course I was very curious about the details. So, I asked for the story. He said he'd followed a hill and looked across the small valley to see the deer standing about 100 yards away. That's when he shot it. Hmmmm... I wanted more, saying "Dad, you're using a 170 grain load and that .32 Special has the ballistics of a .30-30 so there can be a drop at that distance, depending on how you've got the gun sighted. Were you sure it was 100 yards? Where did you aim? Did you hold on the heart/lung region or did you hold a little high to account for any bullet drop?"

He hesitated, looked at me like I was some kind of idiot. Then he said, "Son, I just shot the deer."

That's when I first realized, maybe I was putting too much thought into this...
        Last edited by PigHunter; 10-07-2020, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Another couple of thoughts. That muzzle brake is pretty loud for you as the shooter and anyone else who may be near you. Electronic muffs have worked well for me in the woods but obviously they can get uncomfortable. So, I often have ear plugs available and put them in if I have time before the shot.

Also, a Boyd's stock adds weight and that could slightly help with the recoil. They're composite and very sturdy. If you go that route make sure you get the checkering. I didn't do that with the one I put on my .308 and now I regret it.

Comment

Thank you for your service, Mr. Allen.

Welcome to the hunting world. I've been in the woods during deer season for 67 years. I'm 70 now. Yes, pop took me hunting at age 3.

I've shot a .270 Win since "who flung a chunk". Pop and grampa started me with a .30-30.

First off, 98% of my "hunting" has been whitetail deer, so a .270 Win has been more than sufficient.
            I AM a "recoil weenie"...and that was BEFORE the shoulder implant!
            These days, my "deer" rifle is an AR in 6.8mm Rem SPC and no regrets. Deer, hogs and coyotes have dropped readily with it.

Mr. Allen,
            If you want to shoot a .300 Win Mag, by all means, shoot a .300 Win Mag. Just don't think that the .300 Win Mag makes you anymore of a man than some lighter caliber. There is no need to punish yourself with recoil.
            When working in a gun store and folks asked, "What caliber for deer?", I always told them, "Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot comfortably."

Maybe you can absorb the recoil and not flinch, but why absorb "that much" recoil if it isn't necessary to accomplish the task?

If you want to be a "one gun" hunter, your caliber is a good choice.
            I like having lot'sa caliber choices! 😉!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              Mr. Allen, I think you've picked a good platform and cartridge. What distances do you plan to be shooting at deer and what accuracy are you trying to achieve?

I'm a self-taught shooter / hunter, never been in the military, never fired a shot in conflict. But here's what works for me.

On a heavy recoiling rifle, I switch out the factory pad for a Limb Saver. My heavy is a single-shot .45-70 and it kicks like a 12 gauge shooting slugs. The recoil pad is a big help.
              https://limbsaver.com/products/airte...fit-recoil-pad

At the range to keep from developing a flinch, I use a Caldwell Ambidextrous Shooting Recoil Shield. Of course I don't wear that in the field when hunting. But, it does simulate wearing heavy winter clothing so that's an added benefit.
              https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Plus...s%2C163&sr=8-6

For a deer rifle, I'm looking for 1.5 MOA or better accuracy. I'm dancing a jig if the rifle is consistently under 1 MOA. But that's from a good rest, shooting from a bench. My field shooting of course depends on position / hold. I can't say I'm all that good, but I bring home the game despite my sometimes poor marksmanship. Most of my shots are less than 100 yards and realistically a rifle of 4 MOA accuracy is probably good enough. But it's great to know I could hit a deer at 300 if needed, and thus the desire for the better accuracy.

The deer kill zone is rather large and the old standard is to be able to keep all shots within an 8-inch paper plate at the max distance you plan to shoot. As a new hunter, but with shooting skills, it will be natural for you to over-think the situation. I know because that's exactly what I did when starting to hunt deer in my 30's. Trust me, you'll understand after you drop the first one or two that most deer hunting doesn't require military sniper precision.

Back in my early 30's when I was first learning to hunt deer. I'd read an interesting deer hunting pamphlet written by Jim Carmichael. One illustration of shot placement was a bird's eye depiction of shot angles on a deer to hit the kill zone...

Carmichael also discussed hold over and sighting in with respect to bullet drop, etc.

Dad and I split up that morning, I carried an un-scoped M1 Garand with it's battle peep sights, and he with his old Winchester Model 94 in .32 Winchester Special, also with just factory iron sights. Shortly after sunrise I heard him shoot one round. But we'd agreed to not meet back at the truck until 10 so I continued sitting in my tree stand. Later, as I walked up to the vehicle, there was Dad and a spike buck he'd shot. Wow!

Of course I was very curious about the details. So, I asked for the story. He said he'd followed a hill and looked across the small valley to see the deer standing about 100 yards away. That's when he shot it. Hmmmm... I wanted more, saying "Dad, you're using a 170 grain load and that .32 Special has the ballistics of a .30-30 so there can be a drop at that distance, depending on how you've got the gun sighted. Were you sure it was 100 yards? Where did you aim? Did you hold on the heart/lung region or did you hold a little high to account for any bullet drop?"

He hesitated, looked at me like I was some kind of idiot. Then he said, "Son, I just shot the deer."

That's when I first realized, maybe I was putting too much thought into this...
              I have a collector box of .308 Browning Ammunition. Inside the box is a pamphlet that describes everything from gun safety, sighting in and a diagram of shot placement plus how to dress and butcher the deer.
              The gold box does not photograph well.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3486.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	753327Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3492.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	753329
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-07-2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Don't know the bullet brand. I have seen this box for sale for $75.00.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  Don't know the bullet brand. I have seen this box for sale for $75.00.
                  It's up to you jimbo, but if you want your box of ammo to remain collectable, I'd slip it in a Ziploc bag or wrap it in Glad Wrap to protect the exterior of the box. The more "pristine", the more it's worth. It looks pretty scratched up already.

I had over half a box of .35 Rem in the original red and green Remington Kleen-bore box. Other than missing some of the ammo, a pretty nice collectable.
                  I marked it $35 and set it out at a gun show.
                  It wasn't 10 minutes some guy grabs the box and hands me the $35.
                  "Pretty nice box, huh?" I said, tucking the money away.
                  "I don't care about the box," he said, "I just want the brass!" and walked off.

Comment

Jim, that pamphlet looks nice. Is there a way to scan it or take photographs to share here?

You bring up a good point. For new hunters, here's a guide to field dressing deer:
                    https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Guides...2082123&sr=8-2

Comment

PIGHUNTER... starting out this morning I was encouraged to just relax, knowing that I have a few great people speaking greatness in my ear... then I post here... now I am confident that I am going to "just shoot the deer". That is a lot response and encouragement. Thank you for the picture had not seen a diagram of a deer like that. Makes sense, unlike a lot right now. (political point) LOL. plugs and electric ears are the plan... checkering on the stock... check! and now smile and relax... Trump 2020

Comment

FirstBubba, one with a budget can only flung a chunk of lead in so many calibers. So for now the .300 well got do what a mans gotta do. I do have a nice AR in 5.56, and have it so dialed in that I could pick off the ears of ant. Well placed and a 72 grainer, one might say that a heart shot is reasonable? But if I knew about the lack of ability to handle the recoil 5 years after owning the rifle, I would have gone to a .270. but I aint going back... however if I get rich... then a 6.5 creedmore AR would be a wonder... thanks for the comments and support...

Comment

jhjimbo.... Thanks for the picture... that is incredible... I have a love for old things... I tell my dad that, he just reminds me about a wrestling match after I got out of bootcamp... that didn't go so well for the young guy... that being said... I am going to take my first round that I have reloaded... and put it away. or maybe put it in the stock... somewhere as a memory. I love hearing the stories of those that have become successful.

Comment

Mr. Allen, I'm VERY aware of budget restrictions!
                            My gun "collection" suffers greatly from my lack of disposable income! LOL!
                            I don't "need" anymore guns, but I "want" a ______!" (fill on space!)

Comment

Originally posted by USMC-MRALLEN View Post
                              PIGHUNTER... starting out this morning I was encouraged to just relax, knowing that I have a few great people speaking greatness in my ear... then I post here... now I am confident that I am going to "just shoot the deer". That is a lot response and encouragement. Thank you for the picture had not seen a diagram of a deer like that. Makes sense, unlike a lot right now. (political point) LOL. plugs and electric ears are the plan... checkering on the stock... check! and now smile and relax... Trump 2020
                              My pleasure and glad to help. I'm looking forward to hearing how your hunting goes.

I've got a bolt-action Ruger American in 6.5CM and it's very mild for recoil. In an AR it would just be more so.

About your bullet choice, the 210 SMK BTHP is a match bullet and probably wouldn't expand well when it hits your deer. You'll probably get much better performance out of that 180gr SST. Are you sure that hard-earned handload is no longer accurate enough? Also, it would reduce your recoil if you load it on the lower side of the chart. 2600fps would essentially put you in the .30-06 recoil levels and be more than enough to drop any deer in North America.

Finally, I know it sounds obvious but have you thoroughly cleaned the copper fouling from your barrel? My .308 is bad about that and accuracy goes to hell if I don't clean it often enough. Very frustrating.
                              Last edited by PigHunter; 10-07-2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump's pardon blitz
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Sooooo true Pmacc ! I have yet to read any info from the biden lovers about what is so great about all his EO’s, what benefit they are going to produce...
                                Today, 08:11 AM
                              • Trump's pardon blitz
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                I can maybe understand Trump pardoning some of his cronies in jail, but the Detroit mayor who's in jail for corruption and two rappers convicted of federal...
                                01-20-2021, 10:02 AM
                              • Reply to Trump's pardon blitz
                                by Pmacc60
                                First what court precedent ?? Impeachment without a investigation , without merit other than get even hate from the left . You and your hatred of Trump...
                                Today, 06:48 AM
                              • Reply to New scope
                                by Pmacc60
                                Zeiss V-6 or even V-4 rifle scopes are really good for entry level long range scopes. Leupold and vortex are options as well. Ernie on this site is a...
                                Today, 05:44 AM
                              • New scope
                                by Lwh4207
                                I'm looking at buying a new scope for target shooting out to 1000 yards. I would to keep it under 1500 dollars. I have looked at vortex and leupolds....
                                Yesterday, 04:57 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X