Couldn't help it. Picked up a NEF Handi in .243

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couldn't help it. Picked up a NEF Handi in .243

Ugh. I might have a problem. But I got a good deal! $220 on a gently used .243win Handi with a synthetic stock.

I now have a low recoil loaner deer rifle for camp. And now I have 4 rifles that I have to sight in. hmm, might have to start trading and selling pretty soon.

An embarrassment of riches.

Comment

yeah I'm pretty blessed lately. Will probably trade the CVA hunter on some other stuff I'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
        Ugh. I might have a problem. But I got a good deal! $220 on a gently used .243win Handi with a synthetic stock.

I now have a low recoil loaner deer rifle for camp. And now I have 4 rifles that I have to sight in. hmm, might have to start trading and selling pretty soon.
        What are the other three ?

Comment

Well my count was a little off when I took full account.

While messing with my Ranch rifle, I took off the scope on my .280 and on one of my .22's

So in Ascending Caliber:
          .22lr (Savage)
          .243win (once scoped)
          6.8mm spc (once Returned)
          .280Rem
          .450 Bushmaster (Once Scoped)

Comment

Well my count was a little off when I took full account.

While messing with my Ranch rifle, I took off the scope on my .280 and on one of my .22's

So in Ascending Caliber:
            .22lr (Savage)
            .243win (once scoped)
            6.8mm spc (once Returned)
            .280Rem
            .450 Bushmaster (Once Scoped)
            If you ever decide to rid yourself of that 6.8 Ranch........😉!

Comment

I like my Handi-Riifles. I have several receivers and barrels. The 45-70 I use in the Adirondacks when we float the Rivers in the Grumman 19' canoe. My .308 receiver is dedicated to the .308 and very, very accurate. My .223 is a new barrel. The original was key-holing, sent it to NEF and they sent me a new one. Click image for larger version

Name:	guns 4 18 2014 012.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	851.0 KB
ID:	749547Click image for larger version

Name:	guns 4 18 2014 020.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	861.3 KB
ID:	749548

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

If you ever decide to rid yourself of that 6.8 Ranch........😉!
                LOL bubba, you might not want it after you've seen what all I've had done to it... Or you might like it a whole lot more 😄

I'll be sure to post the full breakdown once I get her back. I've got her lined up to have literally everything that can be done to her that doesn't involve re-cutting the chamber or a new barrel done.

If she doesn't shoot well after this (distinct possibility given she's a Ruger casting with their hammer forged barrel). I'll be looking to sell her. So You might get your shot...

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  I like my Handi-Riifles. I have several receivers and barrels. The 45-70 I use in the Adirondacks when we float the Rivers in the Grumman 19' canoe. My .308 receiver is dedicated to the .308 and very, very accurate. My .223 is a new barrel. The original was key-holing, sent it to NEF and they sent me a new one. Click image for larger version

Name:	guns 4 18 2014 012.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	851.0 KB
ID:	749547Click image for larger version

Name:	guns 4 18 2014 020.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	861.3 KB
ID:	749548
                  I like them a lot as well.

Does H&R / NEF still make accessory barrels? I'm at a point where I'm thinking about picking up Handi's just to have them changed out with barrel I like.

Comment

I like them a lot as well.

Does H&R / NEF still make accessory barrels? I'm at a point where I'm thinking about picking up Handi's just to have them changed out with barrel I like.
                    Last I heard, NEF/H&R were bought out by Marlin and Marlin was bought by Rem(?) and the NEF/H&R line was dropped.
                    A shame really. The Handi was a way for a kid or a poor man to get started.
                    Heck! They were good starters for folks who wanted to try hunting without spending a fortune.

Comment

Buckshott00, just found this on the "sticky wicket". (wikipedia!)

H&R 1871, LLC (Harrington & Richardson) is a manufacturer of firearms under the Harrington & Richardson and New England Firearms trademarks. H&R is a subsidiary of the Remington Outdoor Company. H&R ceased production February 27, 2015.

Now, how reliable is the info? I dunno?
                      Firearms manufacturers have undergone so many splits, shifts, takeovers, sellouts and buyouts, it's hard to figure out just exactly who's doing what! 😖😥🤯

Comment

Right Bubba,

I think it might have been brought up a few times. I don't think they're producing rifles anymore, but they might be servicing parts or producing accessories up to possibly making new barrels and selling new receiver components.

I think part of the reason CVA moved into this role was to get grab some of the market left when Remington totally screwed the Marlin and H&R brands. But CVA doesn't offer the same range of calibers that H&R did. T/C offers more, but the price is way higher.

Maybe time I tried to crowd fund a manufacturing line...

Comment

I've got 2 T/C products and I've ordered some after market parts from them years ago.
                          I've been very pleased with all things T/C, but you're right. They do tend to be a bit pricey.

The original Contender, if you cocked the hammer, then let the hammer down, the action had to be opened before the hammer could be cocked again.
                          Do you know if that's still true?

Comment

One thing T/C DOES have going for them.
                            You ain't gettin' no piece of Chinese crap-o-la!
                            If it's crap, at least it came from right here in the US of A! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                              I've got 2 T/C products and I've ordered some after market parts from them years ago.
                              I've been very pleased with all things T/C, but you're right. They do tend to be a bit pricey.

The original Contender, if you cocked the hammer, then let the hammer down, the action had to be opened before the hammer could be cocked again.
                              Do you know if that's still true?
                              Not only is it American, but the Customer Service can't be beat. I've had nothing but good experiences, and I've had guys tell me they literally received new firearms from them in addition to repairs they made if they couldn't service something by a time that they said.

I love my venture, and would have no problem buying other T/C guns. I wanted to buy their 10/22 clone when they had those great combo deals but other things got in the way. I have seen the same package but for like $150-$200 more than what they originally offered.

I think I would like the encore just fine, but like you said...price. Might see if I could have one in .280AI

As for the Cocking and Decocking, I know they improved the mechanism quite a bit. I'm pretty sure they can be decocked and cocked again without opening the barrel at least on the G2

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad