Best Performing Straight walled Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Performing Straight walled Case

Here's a noodle scratcher: What is the most optimized highest performing Straight Walled Case?

Some states have moved beyond "shotgun only" and will allow straight walled rifle cartridges. I have never paid much attention to them. The only straight walled cartridge I have previously had interest in would be the .45-70 because of that beautiful monstrous case capacity.

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
    Here's a noodle scratcher: What is the most optimized highest performing Straight Walled Case?

Some states have moved beyond "shotgun only" and will allow straight walled rifle cartridges. I have never paid much attention to them. The only straight walled cartridge I have previously had interest in would be the .45-70 because of that beautiful monstrous case capacity.
    Factory 45/70 is low psi (around 35,000) due to all the old firearms out there. The .450Marlin is the same case loaded to almost 15,000psi more energy. IF you handload for a modern action you can get the 45/70 more energy but it could blow up an older firearm.

Comment

Buckshott00, most of us are only familiar with the old .45-70 Gov't. It's old and it's proven. The only problem is you can't keep Skeeter and Possum from shoving full blown ammo into gramps old Trapdoor Springfield.

There are two (2) cartridges that have haunted me for several years now.

The .38-55 and the .375 Winchester.
      Remember when Winchester made their "Big Bore 94"?
      Watched a guy pop balloons at 200 with Big Bore. I had poo-poo'd the .375 as a "flash-in-the-pan", but it was/is a dog gone nice "straight-wall" cartridge that is quite sufficient for any North American game within reasonable range for the cartridge.
      I believe Ruger made a few #3's in .375 Win.

The .38-55 was a buffalo caliber but just didn't quite carry the authority of the "Big Fifty" Sharps and the .45-70 Gummint.
      The .38-55 became a favored target caliber and target shooters praised it's accuracy.
      BUT.....they sold a lot more buffalo guns than they did target guns.
      The .38-55 faded into the sunset.

H&R built two "Buffalo Rifles".
      One in .45-70.
      One in .38-55.
      I picked up the phone one day to order the .38-55, but couldn't go through with it.
      Alas, H&R no longer exists.

I would like to have a .38-55, just for giggles!

Comment

I went to the local wally world today and there was a cva hunter on clearance in .450 bushmaster. For $54 I decided if nothing else it would make great trade bait.

Comment

I went to the local wally world today and there was a cva hunter on clearance in .450 bushmaster. For $54 I decided if nothing else it would make great trade bait.
          $54?????
          Heck! I would have bought that!

Comment

Right!! That's why I bought it!!

When the gal behind the counter told me the price, I thought she had misread or was mistaken.

I told her if that really was the price, I'd buy right here right now. Well there's more to this story, but let's just say that after taking a bit longer than it should, I walked away Approved by NICS and waiting on the waiting period.

Another crazy thing walmart said a 3 day waiting period but the waiting period for a long gun in this state is 24hrs. So I don't what's up with that either, but meh. If it means a rifle that I can resell for 4x what I put into it, you better believe I'll wait another 2 days.

Comment

Fill me in please. Is the CVA rifle a black powder gun? Is it a thing by state law there that front stuffers need a NICS check?

Comment

Here's a noodle scratcher:
                Some folks around here who hunt in places with those bigger bears use newer 45 70s with 300 grain bullets pushed up beyond 2000 fps. Not sure what the limit is but I guess that mostly gets it done for elk at 200 yards and under. Might be a point of diminishing returns with speed/recoil though the 45 70 has a pretty good reputation in those regards too. It's probably sacrilegious but folks also drill and tap to mount a 3x9. Guide gun is pretty popular though you'd lose some speed with the short barrel.

Comment

Buckshott00, that's a great deal and I look forward to hearing how well it shoots. The CVA Hunter is no doubt a cheap rifle but dang, they work. I gave one in .30-06 to my step grandson and it was a decent performer at the range.
                  https://cva.com/product/hunter-450-b...-black-stocks/

I like break-action single-shots and have several Handi-Rifles. The two with straight-wall cartridges are chambered in .357 Maximum and .45-70 Gov. With my .45-70, I've killed 2 deer, 2 pigs, and a coyote while using the Hornady factory loaded 325gr FTX. Haven't used the .357 Maximum yet on game but hope to do so opening day.

The Hornady 250gr FTX load is what I suggest for the .450 Bushmaster. It should be equal to the performance I've enjoyed with that style of bullet in the .45-70 Gov.
                  https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...r-ftx-black#!/

I have a friend who will be travelling to Africa to hunt next year. He plans to take two bolt-action rifles. One is in .375 Ruger and the other is a custom made .450 Bushmaster on a Remington 700 action.
                  Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                    Fill me in please. Is the CVA rifle a black powder gun? Is it a thing by state law there that front stuffers need a NICS check?
                    Hi Franchi!
                    CVA does make muzzleloaders, but this is a modern cartridge breech loading single shot.

I think the wait comes from a combination of state law with the fact that I bought it at Walmart.
                    Walmart will often put up additional restrictions to state law if they sell firearms in a "blue" state. I think generally they just default to the most strict rules there are. In this state there's a 1dy on long guns, and 3dy on handguns. I've heard in Washington state, some inane stores actually wait for the NICS hardcopy which is beyond ridiculous.

I went in thinking that this particular location might still have some basic firearms. I was looking for a Maverick 88 for a friend that with everything that's going on, changed his mind and views on things and is looking to become a 1st time gun buyer. So a reliable inexpensive 12 gauge is right up his alley, and I happened to be surprised by a few other gems there.

I don't really like shopping there all that much. BUT, right now they have guns and ammo when no one else does. I went over there thinking there was a small chance they might still have some inexpensive but popular basic firearms, and I was right.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                      Buckshott00, that's a great deal and I look forward to hearing how well it shoots. The CVA Hunter is no doubt a cheap rifle but dang, they work. I gave one in .30-06 to my step grandson and it was a decent performer at the range.
                      https://cva.com/product/hunter-450-b...-black-stocks/

I like break-action single-shots and have several Handi-Rifles. The two with straight-wall cartridges are chambered in .357 Maximum and .45-70 Gov. With my .45-70, I've killed 2 deer, 2 pigs, and a coyote while using the Hornady factory loaded 325gr FTX. Haven't used the .357 Maximum yet on game but hope to do so opening day.

The Hornady 250gr FTX load is what I suggest for the .450 Bushmaster. It should be equal to the performance I've enjoyed with that style of bullet in the .45-70 Gov.
                      https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...r-ftx-black#!/

I have a friend who will be travelling to Africa to hunt next year. He plans to take two bolt-action rifles. One is in .375 Ruger and the other is a custom made .450 Bushmaster on a Remington 700 action.
                      Thanks PH!!

You want to hear something crazy? The clerk told me that what I got wasn't anywhere near the best deal for their clearance! Said that if I had been there a few weeks earlier they were selling Savage Axis for $49 with Savage having a $50 mail-in rebate! They were paying guys a $1 to take a good budget rifle away!! Said they were selling Model 111's for $100, and guys were buying multiples.

Since this state doesn't have a rifle deer season, I think people just don't know about this place so I'm going to make regular trips to find out when stuff's on clearance. I guess when Walmart headquarters says they have to mark stuff clearance, they just price it to move even if they take a hit, and I got lucky with this one.

CVA said they were discontinuing the Hunter model for the Scout 2, so my guess is Walmart was clearancing them off the shelves to make room for the new stuff.

I'm also a big fan of H&R handi-rifles. I've been thinking about buying up a couple off of GunBroker and getting accessory barrels made. I thought that H&R wasn't making any more new rifles but was still making accessory barrels, but I could be wrong. I hope I am.

I love T/C but I don't want to pay $700+ for a break-action, and I don't know how I feel about CVA yet. Could be I like them, will have to wait to see how this rifle handles. Will keep everyone posted

Comment

My local Walmart doesn't have those great of deals on firearms, probably because there are so many hunters here. But I saw a 10/22 on clearance and will check on its price this morning, if it's still there.

I've always wanted a T/C Encore but like you didn't want to drop that much cash.

Henry has a line of single-shot break-action rifles. Available cartridges are .223 Rem/5.56, .243 Win, .308 Win, .44 Mag/Spl, .45-70 Gov't, .30-30, .357 Mag/.38 Spl

These are made in the USA and have 22-inch barrels, 3 inches shorter than that .450 Bushmaster you just got.
                        https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/
                        Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                          My local Walmart doesn't have those great of deals on firearms, probably because there are so many hunters here. But I saw a 10/22 on clearance and will check on its price this morning, if it's still there.

I've always wanted a T/C Encore but like you didn't want to drop that much cash.

Henry has a line of single-shot break-action rifles. Available cartridges are .223 Rem/5.56, .243 Win, .308 Win, .44 Mag/Spl, .45-70 Gov't, .30-30, .357 Mag/.38 Spl

These are made in the USA and have 22-inch barrels, 3 inches shorter than that .450 Bushmaster you just got.
                          https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/
                          Those look good pighunter. Wish they made a .22 Hornet.
                          I absolutely loved my H&R "Handi" in .22 Hornet, but it had accuracy issues I never could figure out. Regardless of that, I killed a LOT of game with it!

Comment

Thanks PH!!

You want to hear something crazy? The clerk told me that what I got wasn't anywhere near the best deal for their clearance! Said that if I had been there a few weeks earlier they were selling Savage Axis for $49 with Savage having a $50 mail-in rebate! They were paying guys a $1 to take a good budget rifle away!! Said they were selling Model 111's for $100, and guys were buying multiples.

Since this state doesn't have a rifle deer season, I think people just don't know about this place so I'm going to make regular trips to find out when stuff's on clearance. I guess when Walmart headquarters says they have to mark stuff clearance, they just price it to move even if they take a hit, and I got lucky with this one.

CVA said they were discontinuing the Hunter model for the Scout 2, so my guess is Walmart was clearancing them off the shelves to make room for the new stuff.

I'm also a big fan of H&R handi-rifles. I've been thinking about buying up a couple off of GunBroker and getting accessory barrels made. I thought that H&R wasn't making any more new rifles but was still making accessory barrels, but I could be wrong. I hope I am.

I love T/C but I don't want to pay $700+ for a break-action, and I don't know how I feel about CVA yet. Could be I like them, will have to wait to see how this rifle handles. Will keep everyone posted
                            Buck, Walmart does these deals starting in August each year, unfortunately the ones in NY don’t seem to participate. I keep catching wind of them on other forums. Apparently there’s a website called Brickseek that you can look up items in various stores by SKU# but actual availability can be tricky. Sometimes the items are there but not obvious, being insistent is necessary to get them pulled out of the stock room.

I had heard of the $49 Savages this year.

Comment

The story of my life! 😥!
                              "You shudda been here yesterday!"
                              OR
                              "Just wait'll tomorrow!" as I climb on outbound transportation!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• What's after Trump?
                                by FirstBubba
                                No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                                There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                                Today, 01:46 PM
                              • Reply to Election less than a month away
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                .....”biden won’t be the ruination of America......” !

This as stated by the 🐀 ! It is not biden we fear, it’s the ef’d up...
                                Today, 12:59 PM
                              • Election less than a month away
                                by rock rat
                                Like the Covid coming back to haunt him isn't ironic. Wonder when Trump last tested negative for the virus? and why everyone is mum about when that is?...
                                10-08-2020, 08:55 AM
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                That is mostly what we get with diversity, people who do not really understand the American spirit, loyalty and what we truly love this country for !!...
                                Today, 12:48 PM
                                by rock rat
                                Trump just posted his own video of the 60 minutes interview. The vid is fairly honest so far in that it's not cut or spliced, I only watched 5+ minutes,...
                                Today, 11:49 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X