The 6.5 Creedmoor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 6.5 Creedmoor.

Here is a new take on this popular cartridge.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hu...per-cartridge/

Good read, thanks for posting. It's interesting that OL published this because it has a direct interest in the success of the cartridge.

Chuck Hawks disseminated similar information a few years ago along these lines: The 6.5 Creedmoor is not the cartridge messiah that its developers and some gunwriters would have you believe.

This cartridge was developed for target shooting, and it excels in that arena. As more hunters use it on big game, I'm reading about more dissatisfaction with it's ability to put down large specimens quickly. Perhaps that's why Spomer's story got published in OL. If you are familiar with his other writings on the subject, it appears that he would not use the 6.5 CM for anything he would not use the .243 Win on, and that he would reach for the .243 first.

Comment

I find my 6.5 Swede more than adequate on white tail. Europe use the 6.5 on Moose and Elk.
      I do use the heavier 160gr bullet.

Comment

Yes the 6.5 CM is not a super cartridge , the pomp and circumstance that flew around this cartridge was unbelievable . The thing I couldn’t believe was all that buzz around a short action , shooting heavier longer bullets being pushed at slower speeds . Rainbow down range trajectory that was deemed the new super round . What’s new about that concept , the 6.5 Carcano with its gain twist was pushing long bullets (156 grains ) for a century , the 6.5 Swede same deal only better but not SA . Somehow the writers turned pedestrian numbers into a superstar !

Don’t get me wrong the 6.5 CM is a nice round , low recoil , very accurate and perfect for hunting medium size game. Also the longer 6.5 bullets being stabilized by faster twist barrels gave excellent ballistic coefficients and sectional densities . However the round was meant for long range target shooting and punching paper and ringing steel is not hunting . Where was the foot pounds of energy or the high velocity that make up the super cartridges? Truth is for the average guy the 260 rem , 7mm08 , 308 were all just as good. So all these guys read about this awesome round and go out and buy it believing it’s lightning in a bottle . They take shots that their 06 or 270 win made and what this is no better , heck not as good !

Hornady marketed the 6.5 CM exceptionally well and it shot out of gate once it caught on . It’s funny the cartridge was around for a while ( nearly ten years ) with target shooters before it caught fire with the hunting crowd That doesn’t happen often ! I once read on a different forum that the 6.5. Creedmoor is a 800 to 1000 yard elk rifle. Worse there were many who agreed with this guy. With all the access to information at our finger tips I can’t believe that anyone would believe any of the hype on the CM when you look at the exterior ballistics ! The Creed is a well developed round with great marketing , it comes in many different rifles and the ammo is in every store. The average guy can shoot it well and if used properly it will kill!

Comment

The same can pretty much be said of the 6.5 Grendel in the AR platform.
          In ringing steel and punching paper, it excels. But within normal hunting ranges (<300 yards), the 6.8mm Rem SPC is the superior round. Curses on "Big Green" for booting it on the release of the 6.8mm.
          Unfortunately, like the 6mm Rem, the 6.8mm will probably never overcome the negative press of that bad release.
          If you're into AR's and you're looking for a really nice, medium range, medium game (large whitetails and down), give the 6.8mm a look.
          I "would" tackle an elk or moose with mine, but I'd be extremely picky about shots and range.
          If you do look at a 6.8mm, be sure it has a 6.8mm Rem SPC II chamber. It is the simple fix that Rem should have done before release! 🤦‍♂️!
          A 6.8mm Rem SPC can be reamed to the 6.8mm Rem SPC II pretty easily and cheaply.

Comment

Who needs a 6.5 CM when you have a .25-06? All of the virtues that are ascribed to the 6.5 CM apply to the .25-06, except short action. Nobody should be so lazy they can't pull a bolt another inch!

Comment

Apparently the 6.5 Creedmoor is not so popular around here. I was in North40 Outfitters (alias Big R) and they had more than a dozen different factory loads for 6.5 CM with plenty of shelf stock for each. There was nary a box of .30-06, 308 Win, .223, pistol ammo or .243 to be seen. Only a couple boxes of .300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag on the shelf. They normally have a huge stock of all ammo. Gearing up for antifa season I suppose. Clark’s All Sports in Colville and Sportsman’s Warehouse in Spokane about the same. SW did have some 6.5-300 Weatherby and .41 Rem Mag, which I bought. Happy Trails

Comment

Just like a lot of other cartridges, the 6.5mm Creedmoor can be one of the best for hunting big game. The ballistics junkies will argue that superior sectional density and ballistic coefficients lead the way to better terminal effects and greater accuracy. Its good enough for Plains Game. It's good enough for target shooters. Of course there is the old guy who uses a 308 Win and still wins the matches or fills his freezer with quality-sized animals. The Creedmoor is a fine cartridge if you need something to fill a gap. If you have a 243 Win or 6.5x55 Mauser then its not likely to do anything in the hunting world those cartridges aren't doing for you. I have a 6.5mm Creedmoor and am glad I do. Its a great one for me.

Comment

Originally posted by fordman155 View Post
                  Just like a lot of other cartridges, the 6.5mm Creedmoor can be one of the best for hunting big game. The ballistics junkies will argue that superior sectional density and ballistic coefficients lead the way to better terminal effects and greater accuracy. Its good enough for Plains Game. It's good enough for target shooters. Of course there is the old guy who uses a 308 Win and still wins the matches or fills his freezer with quality-sized animals. The Creedmoor is a fine cartridge if you need something to fill a gap. If you have a 243 Win or 6.5x55 Mauser then its not likely to do anything in the hunting world those cartridges aren't doing for you. I have a 6.5mm Creedmoor and am glad I do. Its a great one for me.
                  You're pretty much spot on fordman155.
                  The 6.5CM is as good as any other in the world of white tail deer.
                  The last three years, I've been deer/hog hunting with a 6.8mm Rem SPC.
                  Does just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by fordman155 View Post
                    All that you said was true but that’s not the point of criticism . It’s a fine little round but it ain’t the end all be all that it was touted the past several years. There is a lot of Mr in the 6.5 CM but there is a lot of myth also! It’s the myth that bothers us ( ballistic Junkies) as you refer to us that say BS ! Every round has a trade off , the CM is no different ! Just fact . Shoot you 6.5 and enjoy it a nice light recoiling rifle that’s great for deer size game.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                      All that you said was true but that’s not the point of criticism . It’s a fine little round but it ain’t the end all be all that it was touted the past several years. There is a lot of Mr in the 6.5 CM but there is a lot of myth also! It’s the myth that bothers us ( ballistic Junkies) as you refer to us that say BS ! Every round has a trade off , the CM is no different ! Just fact . Shoot you 6.5 and enjoy it a nice light recoiling rifle that’s great for deer size game.
                      You're right pmacc60.
                      I don't know that there is a "do all, be all" round out there.
                      At one time, I thought it was the .270 Winchester.
                      ....but then, people around me were killing deer with everything from a .22-250 to a .45-70 and all different bore diameters in between.

If your rifle can propel a projectile fast enough to penetrate flesh and bone, it will surely destroy vital organs in the process if properly placed.
                      Organ destruction and shot placement is directly related to filled tags. LOL!

Cartridge head stamp is secondary! 😉!

There are plenty cartridges out there. Find one you like and can shoot comfortably and go hunting!

Comment

Speaking of ballistic coefficients, sectional densities, etc, I'm reminded of the story of the old African PH.

A client asked him, "Why do you shoot a .600 Nitro Express?"
                        The PH replied, "Because they don't make a bloody .700 Nitro Express."
                        "Will it shoot 'minute-of-angle'?", the client inquired.
                        "I don't know," the PH said, "but it will shoot 'minute-of-rhino'!"

(Yes, I know, they now make a .700 NE! It's an old joke! LOL!)

If ballistic coefficients, sectional densities, Copper Units of Pressures (CUP), etc, etc interests you? By all means, dive in! Just be aware, not everybody cares. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

You're right pmacc60.
                          I don't know that there is a "do all, be all" round out there.
                          At one time, I thought it was the .270 Winchester.
                          ....but then, people around me were killing deer with everything from a .22-250 to a .45-70 and all different bore diameters in between.

If your rifle can propel a projectile fast enough to penetrate flesh and bone, it will surely destroy vital organs in the process if properly placed.

There are plenty cartridges out there. Find one you like and can shoot comfortably and go hunting!
                          FB that’s the point , there is no be all cartridge ! I could care less what any other guy uses to hunt with . Use enough gun , shoot it well and the rest is none of my business. There is an old saying, don’t pee (PC version ) down my back and tell me it’s raining! The 6.5 CM is a fine round but it is not the new 3006 !

Comment

The 6.5 CM is a fine round but it is not the new 3006 !

Thank goodness! I find the .30-06 boring and overrated....even if it is a fine old cartridge! 😉!
                            Last edited by FirstBubba; 09-23-2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

This is it. Done.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad