Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When handloading, do you just drop charges or do you weigh every one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Well Jim, I didn't try it with the Barnes TSX and that is the most accurate bullet I've found so far for my Remington 788. Perhaps a few rounds should be tried just to be thorough.
    When I have a situation like yours I KISS and start from the basic. Believe it or not I start with the triede and true Remington Core-Lokt's. You have seen targets of my loads with Corel-Lokts. I leave the designer bullets for latter development
    Boxes of Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3475.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	744408 180gr and 165gr Core-LOkt's
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-05-2020, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

When I have a situation like yours I KISS and start from the basic. Believe it or not I start with the triede and true Remington Core-Lokt's. You have seen targets of my loads with Corel-Lokts. I leave the designer bullets for latter development
      I didn't have Core-Lokts to load but have shot factory loads through that rifle. For this effort, I first tried Hornady 150gr Interlocks in round nose and pointed soft point configurations.
      Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

I didn't have Core-Lokts to load but have shot factory loads through that rifle. For this effort, I first tried Hornady 150gr Interlocks in round nose and pointed soft point configurations.
        For accuracy AND performance, I've always fallen back on the old tried and true Sierra "Game King" boolits!
        They.Just.Work!
        Well, for me anyhow!
        ...I forgot....
        I know others decry the boat tail bullet. I've traditionally gotten my best accuracy with boat tail bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

For accuracy AND performance, I've always fallen back on the old tried and true Sierra "Game King" boolits!
          They.Just.Work!
          Well, for me anyhow!
          ...I forgot....
          I know others decry the boat tail bullet. I've traditionally gotten my best accuracy with boat tail bullets.
          I've never tried the Sierra's. Generally, I don't try to save pennies when handloading hunting bullets. The cost of shooting premium bullets is insignificant compared to all the other costs of hunting.
          Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1149.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	744480

I've never tried the Sierra's. Generally, I don't try to save pennies when handloading hunting bullets. The cost of shooting premium bullets is insignificant compared to all the other costs of hunting.
            Sierra 52gr HPBT Match are the most accurate in my mini-14. People can not believe my rifle shoots as good as it does. Sierra is also noted for their Gam King.

One of my factory stash for my .300WbyMag is the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw by Federal.

For everyday shooting and hunting I trust Remington Core-Lokt and Winchester Power Point. Not the fastest factory load and not fancy design, but they do bring home the bacon, or venison.

Winchester Silvertips were the rage when they first came out. I know of several people who lost game using them. People went back to tried and true.
            Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-06-2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1149.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	744480

One of my factory stash for my .300WbyMag is the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw by Federal.

Winchester Silvertips were the rage when they first came out. I know of several people who lost game using them. People went back to tried and true.
              The Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in .35 Whelen and 7mm Mag are sure elk getters!

The only deer I ever lost was to a .308 Win Silver Tip. Pretty frangible bullets. Have heard others complain about the coming apart, too.

Happy Trails

Comment

I don't know what is going on with Nosler. There are no Nosler 125 grain 30 caliber hunting ballistics anywhere. All the outlets like Midway, Natchez, Midsouth and the others have none. My guy at the sporting goods store cannot get them anywhere..

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
                  I don't know what is going on with Nosler. There are no Nosler 125 grain 30 caliber hunting ballistics anywhere. All the outlets like Midway, Natchez, Midsouth and the others have none. My guy at the sporting goods store cannot get them anywhere..
                  sarge01, handloading components are just about as scarce as hen's teeth! LOL!
                  Shooters can't find ammo and reloaders can't find components and almost nobody can find a "gun".
                  No more being picky about make, model, caliber, stainless or stock.

Comment

Sarge, some components are run only once a year. If a demand spike more than historical normal volume wipes out the run it is a wait before they are run again.

Comment

Not trying to bust your chops, but what good is a 125 gr 30 cal bullet anyway?

Comment

The 125 NBT's work great on deer sized animals in 14-16 inch 30-30 and 30-30AI G-2/Contender barrels. This is a long-time proven combo FWIW.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad