Range report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range report

The kids and I just came off the hill, things went very well with the new guns.

My daughters .243 appears to have some potential and I’ve developed some serious appreciation for the Weaver GS that’s on it right now. It will get moved when I finally figure out my next rifle.

Started out looking at the target through the scope and bore at 25 yards. It looked close so I fired one shot that hit high right. Walked the next few rounds over then repeated with the Ruger .270. That hit low but almost center. Walked a few up then replaced the target and moved it back to 100.

The next three shots with the .243 were about 7” high and 1.5” right. So much for an inch high at 25 yards. Group was mostly horizontal. I gave the Weaver 6 clicks left and 28 down. Next three landed in the bull. Perfect tracking. Put it aside to cool off.

I then shot three with the Ruger, then let the boy fire two. Five shot group wasn’t bad but just shooting from 25 I knew the scope has to go. Crosshairs are too thick for starters. No blood drawn but both of us took the scope off the eyebrow a couple times, we were wearing safety glasses. Recoil isn’t horrible but you have to hang onto the gun too firm to shoot well so there was no point burning ammo. At least we have an idea what we have on our hands. Shame is the cheap glass tracked fine.

Then let my girl have at her rifle. She put three into a decent group but the poi was a little off of mine. No big thing. She handled the rifle fine but was ok with not shooting anymore. She did fire a nice group a few minutes later with her brothers .222. I’m taking this slow with her as I don’t want her developing a flinch.

Besides the kids shooting the .222 for fun I also ran one 5 shot group through my old .243. One flier still but the results were better with a temp pressure pad and tighter action screw torque. Not sure how much work to put in this one, but I think the old Leupold I put in it is ok. Possible that scope may end up on my BDL before all is said and done.

Hopefully pics come through now.

Like your bench set up a bunch. No back light or glare. Good that you stopped when she said enough. You'd shake your head at how many times I've been to the public range before youth season and seen dads yell at their kids cause they didn't want to shoot anymore or they weren't doing something quite right. No understanding how humiliating it is for them to be berated in public. Wives and girlfriends get the same. I have no doubt in my mind it contributes almost as much as no access to low hunter recruitment. Oops, let me get off my soapbox. Pic of my daughter back in the day with her 22 practicing. Stay safe. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	740867

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
      Like your bench set up a bunch. No back light or glare. Good that you stopped when she said enough. You'd shake your head at how many times I've been to the public range before youth season and seen dads yell at their kids cause they didn't want to shoot anymore or they weren't doing something quite right. No understanding how humiliating it is for them to be berated in public. Wives and girlfriends get the same. I have no doubt in my mind it contributes almost as much as no access to low hunter recruitment. Oops, let me get off my soapbox. Pic of my daughter back in the day with her 22 practicing. Stay safe. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	740867
      Quite the opposite with my youngest. We weren't leaving until the ammo was gone! ...and I mean G-O-N-E gone! Every-last-round!
      It got to where I had to limit what I took to the range. The fact that the "range" was in the back yard wasn't alot of help!😂!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        The kids and I just came off the hill, things went very well with the new guns.

My daughters .243 appears to have some potential and I’ve developed some serious appreciation for the Weaver GS that’s on it right now. It will get moved when I finally figure out my next rifle.

Started out looking at the target through the scope and bore at 25 yards. It looked close so I fired one shot that hit high right. Walked the next few rounds over then repeated with the Ruger .270. That hit low but almost center. Walked a few up then replaced the target and moved it back to 100.

The next three shots with the .243 were about 7” high and 1.5” right. So much for an inch high at 25 yards. Group was mostly horizontal. I gave the Weaver 6 clicks left and 28 down. Next three landed in the bull. Perfect tracking. Put it aside to cool off.

I then shot three with the Ruger, then let the boy fire two. Five shot group wasn’t bad but just shooting from 25 I knew the scope has to go. Crosshairs are too thick for starters. No blood drawn but both of us took the scope off the eyebrow a couple times, we were wearing safety glasses. Recoil isn’t horrible but you have to hang onto the gun too firm to shoot well so there was no point burning ammo. At least we have an idea what we have on our hands. Shame is the cheap glass tracked fine.

Then let my girl have at her rifle. She put three into a decent group but the poi was a little off of mine. No big thing. She handled the rifle fine but was ok with not shooting anymore. She did fire a nice group a few minutes later with her brothers .222. I’m taking this slow with her as I don’t want her developing a flinch.

Besides the kids shooting the .222 for fun I also ran one 5 shot group through my old .243. One flier still but the results were better with a temp pressure pad and tighter action screw torque. Not sure how much work to put in this one, but I think the old Leupold I put in it is ok. Possible that scope may end up on my BDL before all is said and done.

Hopefully pics come through now.
        I've been putting off dialing in my bull barrel AR because of the heat.
        It was on the 60's this morning and I tore into those pallets like a mad man.
        The Boss grabbed me to go to town. I sat down to cool off before taking a shower.
        THAT'S when I found your "Good morning!" thread!
        Dag nabbit! I cudda shot my AR in!

Comment

Looks like fun for the whole family Fitch. Congrats on a nice day and new rifles that work!

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            Like your bench set up a bunch. No back light or glare. Good that you stopped when she said enough. You'd shake your head at how many times I've been to the public range before youth season and seen dads yell at their kids cause they didn't want to shoot anymore or they weren't doing something quite right. No understanding how humiliating it is for them to be berated in public. Wives and girlfriends get the same. I have no doubt in my mind it contributes almost as much as no access to low hunter recruitment. Oops, let me get off my soapbox. Pic of my daughter back in the day with her 22 practicing. Stay safe. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1074.PNG Views:	0 Size:	200.6 KB ID:	740867
            The bench itself was put together with a bunch of scrap treated 4x4 and 2x4’s with a piece of treated plywood on top. The only problem for her is that the seat is fixed to the bench and is a bit too low for her. We folded a soft gun case and some other padding to get her up high enough. From now on I’ll take some seat cushions along. Target is up a lane in the woods about another 25 yards from the edge of the clearing. It’s dark for target work but I told her chances are it will be the same kind of conditIons when a deer shows up. I could move the bench 10 yards or so to cover to the left better and set the pop up blind right over it. Only problem with that is one of the travel routes come from directly behind to straight in front. I need to check out a couple different positions and possibly do that from another location. First I’m going to look into a rest set up like you posted awhile back, way more portable.

PS: What type rifle is your daughter shooting? I don’t recognize the lines.

Comment

Fitch270: it's a Marlin 15yss. Single shot. Safety is same as my 700 so she learned to work it while looking through a scope, as well as shooting with a scope. It has really good fiber optic sights but this is training for deer. A lot of first timers learned on this gun. I still have it, in fact it's the only one my youngest daughter wants when I'm gone. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1075.PNG
Views:	29
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	740878 better pic

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad