Carbine Or Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbine Or Rifle

I have tried my Remington 742 .308 with the Carbine barrel - 16.5", now I am going to try rifle barrel - 22". Just handling them I can tell the carbine is much faster handling and would be THE rifle for still hunting deer in the Northeast woods. 6" makes the difference. (did she say that)Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0501.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.37 MB ID:	735965Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0500.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	735966
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 06-10-2020, 10:35 AM.

Jim, you know i'm a carbine fan. I believe my Model Four (7400) was shortened after-market because there's no threaded holes for a front sight. The carbine length is indeed handy when hunting thick undergrowth or from a confining blind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_01_19 Oakmulgee Boar 8x10r.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	569.7 KB
ID:	735970

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_01_19 Oakmulgee Sow 8x10r.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	656.2 KB
ID:	735969
    Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

I will look at my 7400 carbine and see if it is drilled for sight.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        I will look at my 7400 carbine and see if it is drilled for sight.
        Thanks Jim. I bought mine from a pawn shop and have no idea how many previous owners it's seen.

Comment

PigHunter, seeing the photo of your Remington 7400 gave me an afterthought. If you are still thinking of hunting in Eastern Europe check the regulations, semiautomatic rifles are not allowed hunting in some countries. Or at least that used to be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
            PigHunter, seeing the photo of your Remington 7400 gave me an afterthought. If you are still thinking of hunting in Eastern Europe check the regulations, semiautomatic rifles are not allowed hunting in some countries. Or at least that used to be the case.
            Thanks for the tip Happy Myles. I was aware semi-autos were prohibited in some countries but haven't researched particulars for those. Most likely the .308 Win or 6.5 CM bolt-actions would be what I'd take on that journey.

Speaking of .308 Win, have you seen it used to good effect in South Africa and if so, for what game?

Comment

I'm a fan of carbines for certain kinds of hunting (like hunting thick woods around here). What I find strange is that the iconic carbine, the 760/7600 is generally chambered for .30-06. What a waste of powder. When your barrel is 18.5" long, you're never going to get a .30-06 to do anything a .308 couldn't have done with less powder, muzzle blast and weight. Since mine is chambered for .30-06, I load H 4895 so that I can burn as much powder as I can, quickly and with minimal muzzle blast. I also keep my load on the mellow side. I'm only getting a little over 2600 fps with a 168 grain bullet. It's basically a .308...

Comment

The Remington carbines (760/740 and related) should say "carbine" on the barrel.
                IIRC the carbine bbls are 18".
                Only the newer 7400 police stuff was shorter.

Comment

Went to a gunshow last weekend, sucked. But there was one 760 and two 742s there.
                  Overpriced, all .30-06 and...................they all had see through rings on em.

SMDH

Like carbines, both of my ARs are 16".
                  My 760 is not a carbine, but they may have made some back then (.35 rem).
                  Supposedly Grice special run .35 rem 7600s..........came in rifle or carbine.
                  One of those in carbine was what I wanted, but they rarely show up on GB and fetch about a K.
                  So a rifle version, older, that shot well............for half the money. Yeah, I'm cool with.

A .308 carbine 742 comes alone I'll proly snag it (or 7400).
                  I'll even go .30-06 if the price right (esp is Model Four or Six).

Comment

PH, I see a cartridge case ahead of your mag on the receiver............nice Model Four

Comment

I posted some pics with a question awhile back of my own 742 carbine in 308 my brother carried for over 30 yrs. then he suddenly decided he was tired of all the cleaning/maintenance so he sold it to me.

Comment

PigHunter, I have seen 308s used in South Africa to good effect. Often first time Africa hunters seem tempted to buy a more powerful rifle than they normally use. They end up in an unfamiliar land with a rifle they are not comfortable with using. The results are predictable, flinching, jamming, Intricacies of a new scope, different point of impact, oh a floor plate pops open. The first trip enjoy the adventure and take what you are used to. South Africa ranch, hunting lodge is predictable do not complicate it and learn. Save the fine tuning for the next trip. There will be a next trip. Kindest Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
                          I'm a fan of carbines for certain kinds of hunting (like hunting thick woods around here). What I find strange is that the iconic carbine, the 760/7600 is generally chambered for .30-06. What a waste of powder. When your barrel is 18.5" long, you're never going to get a .30-06 to do anything a .308 couldn't have done with less powder, muzzle blast and weight. Since mine is chambered for .30-06, I load H 4895 so that I can burn as much powder as I can, quickly and with minimal muzzle blast. I also keep my load on the mellow side. I'm only getting a little over 2600 fps with a 168 grain bullet. It's basically a .308...
                          I have a similar load for my 7400, but I do use 180's. First time I shot it at the range - covered shooting positions - the other guys packed up and left. Noise and flash was amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                            The Remington carbines (760/740 and related) should say "carbine" on the barrel.
                            IIRC the carbine bbls are 18".
                            Only the newer 7400 police stuff was shorter.
                            I think the 7400's say carbine and are 18.5. The 742's I don't remember saying carbine. The one I took off of my 742 is 16.5 on a very early 742 - probably early '60's. 6 digit serial #. 138xxx.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                              PigHunter, I have seen 308s used in South Africa to good effect. Often first time Africa hunters seem tempted to buy a more powerful rifle than they normally use. They end up in an unfamiliar land with a rifle they are not comfortable with using. The results are predictable, flinching, jamming, Intricacies of a new scope, different point of impact, oh a floor plate pops open. The first trip enjoy the adventure and take what you are used to. South Africa ranch, hunting lodge is predictable do not complicate it and learn. Save the fine tuning for the next trip. There will be a next trip. Kindest Regards
                              Thanks again for the great advice!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad