ReBarrel my AR15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReBarrel my AR15

I have a AR-15 that I built a few years back that I’m thinking about rebarreling once I get the heck out of Maryland. Right now I’m using a 16in ground zero Hbar with a 223 Wylde chambering. I want to cut some weight on it so I’m looking for a lighter barrel without compromising accuracy and durability. Right now I’m shooting around 1.25 groups with it at 100 meters. For what I’m using it for that good enough for me. I have a vortex strike Eagle 1x8-20mm on top. I looked at two Faxon barrels both with 223 wylde chambering and 16in. The first one is there match series barrel and the other a gunner barrels. I checked out ballistic advantage and found another two I liked. One a 223 wylde chambering 16in Hanson barrel and the other a 5.56x45 14.5 govt profile. I’m not trying to pay Krieger barrel prices. I already have a AR 15 with one of those. I’m looking to keep it under $250 bucks if possible. Whatever you guys can recommend I would greatly appreciated it.

That's a tough question since you already seem to be well experienced and educated on the subject.

I've had no problems with the el-cheapo AR-Stoner barrels at Midway USA. Have you checked there?
    Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      That's a tough question since you already seem to be well experienced and educated on the subject.

I've had no problems with the el-cheapo AR-Stoner barrels at Midway USA. Have you checked there?
      No I haven’t thought to checkout the AR stone barrels. I’m gonna go take a look at them in a second. What type of ammo are you shooting and what twist rate is the one you have?? I was thinking I would stick with a 1:7 or maybe try 1:8 twist rate. I use 75gr American Eagle for range/training and 70gr Barnes TSX for hunting. I just want to make sure what ever I buy will stabilize those larger bullets.

Comment

I have used "Primary Arms" many, many times. They are down near Houston.
        They occasionally run clearance sales on barrels. I bought a heavy contour, spiral fluted .223 Wylde barrel about 4 years ago for $58! It is one tack driving dude! ...but the completed gun runs about 8 or 9 pounds. It's pretty hefty for a .223.
        Point being, sometimes Primary Arms has some killer deals!
        Great folks!

www.primaryarms.com

Comment

Old_Sarge, if you're looking to reduce weight, have you considered a 10" SBR?
          That way, you can add a "can" if you wish and still keep the length down.

Comment

I don't have much use for an AR, but the one I built shoots 55 gr. and 62 gr. into 1½" groups at 200 yds. I used a Palmetto State Armory 1/7 assembled upper with DPS internals and a Bushmaster lower. All other components are PSA. All I have right now is an El Cheapo BSA 4X mil dot scope. I might get better accuracy with some tinkering, but like I said, I'm not that much into ARs.
            PSA seems to be a good source of reasonably priced AR components, they stay sold out of items regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
              I don't have much use for an AR, but the one I built shoots 55 gr. and 62 gr. into 1½" groups at 200 yds. I used a Palmetto State Armory 1/7 assembled upper with DPS internals and a Bushmaster lower. All other components are PSA. All I have right now is an El Cheapo BSA 4X mil dot scope. I might get better accuracy with some tinkering, but like I said, I'm not that much into ARs.
              PSA seems to be a good source of reasonably priced AR components, they stay sold out of items regularly.
              '06, I live 125 miles from the CTD (Cheaper Than Dirt) warehouse in Fort Worth, TX

When I tried to order from CTD, it was cheaper to make the 250 mile round trip in my 1 ton dually than pay shipping! LOL!

Comment

# 1 Bubba- Never have tried Cheaper Than Dirt, I use Sportsman's Guide for some things. Paid a fairly reasonable membership fee, and get discounts and free shipping. Mostly can find everything I need at Academy or one of the local gun stores. Cabella's or Bass Pro as a last resort. Couldn't find my snake loads for my .45 last year, and my favorite gun store had everything but .45s. Finally went to Cabella's and one of the firearm geniuses behind the counter told me they didn't make those for a .45. Asked another genius, and he said they would be with the rat shot. So, I asked the first genius where his Speer rat shot was, and he went over with me, to discover to his amazement 1. Speer did indeed make shot loads for .45 caliber, and 2. Some customers actually knew what they were talking about, and 3. He was not quite as "knowed up" about firearms and ammunition as he thought he was. Haven't needed anything bad enough to go back to Cabella's since.

Comment

I only shoot 55gr (ball or V max) in 1 in 9 twist, sub MOA.....boringly repeatably good.
                  ER Shaw, DPMS, Bushmaster barrels. Dunno how the latest Anderson bbl will shoot.......waiting on a handguard. Am down to one other AR and I got the heavier bbl for hunting, shot recovery..........but it's a little too heavy for lugging around in snow (cover lots of ground).

Comment

Originally posted by Old_Sarge View Post

No I haven’t thought to checkout the AR stone barrels. I’m gonna go take a look at them in a second. What type of ammo are you shooting and what twist rate is the one you have?? I was thinking I would stick with a 1:7 or maybe try 1:8 twist rate. I use 75gr American Eagle for range/training and 70gr Barnes TSX for hunting. I just want to make sure what ever I buy will stabilize those larger bullets.
                    Actually I'm not using my 5.56 upper, and for the last couple of years have limited myself to .300 BLK when shooting an AR. For supersonic 110g hunting hand loads, I'm getting 1-1/4" groups at 100 yards.

Looking back at my records, the 5.56 Stoner upper got sub-MOA groups with Remington 55g PSP factory loads. I believe it's a 1:8 twist.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                      # 1 Bubba- Never have tried Cheaper Than Dirt, I use Sportsman's Guide for some things. Paid a fairly reasonable membership fee, and get discounts and free shipping. Mostly can find everything I need at Academy or one of the local gun stores. Cabella's or Bass Pro as a last resort. Couldn't find my snake loads for my .45 last year, and my favorite gun store had everything but .45s. Finally went to Cabella's and one of the firearm geniuses behind the counter told me they didn't make those for a .45. Asked another genius, and he said they would be with the rat shot. So, I asked the first genius where his Speer rat shot was, and he went over with me, to discover to his amazement 1. Speer did indeed make shot loads for .45 caliber, and 2. Some customers actually knew what they were talking about, and 3. He was not quite as "knowed up" about firearms and ammunition as he thought he was. Haven't needed anything bad enough to go back to Cabella's since.
                      I bought one completed .300 BLK upper from Sportsman's Guide and it works fine. Shot it just yesterday at the range and it cycled super and subsonic well except for some cheap Sellier & Bellot 200g subsonic. Those would catch on the feed ramp about every other round.

Have you ever ordered from Graf & Sons?
                      https://www.grafs.com/

Comment

Sarge, your requirements are pretty simple for any lightweight barrel to meet. Those you mention should be fine. Rainier Arms also has good barrels for the price across the board. I've also had good luck with those from eabco.com. I use the eabco accuracy barrels and they shoot a lot better than you need... around 1/2" at 100 yards. Most $200 barrels will shoot under an inch nowadays. A gentleman at the range the other day was shooting a brand new .224 Valkyrie for the first time (from Rainier Arms at $229) and it was shooting 5/8" 5-shot groups at 200 yards with factory ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                          Sarge, your requirements are pretty simple for any lightweight barrel to meet. Those you mention should be fine. Rainier Arms also has good barrels for the price across the board. I've also had good luck with those from eabco.com. I use the eabco accuracy barrels and they shoot a lot better than you need... around 1/2" at 100 yards. Most $200 barrels will shoot under an inch nowadays. A gentleman at the range the other day was shooting a brand new .224 Valkyrie for the first time (from Rainier Arms at $229) and it was shooting 5/8" 5-shot groups at 200 yards with factory ammo.

Ok I’ll definitely check those barrel manufacturers out. Sounds like anyone of those would work for me since I’m not going to be shooting past 200 yards with this set up. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                            Old_Sarge, if you're looking to reduce weight, have you considered a 10" SBR?
                            That way, you can add a "can" if you wish and still keep the length down.
                            I thought about that. Getting a SBA3 brace put on it and do a NFA form 1. This has definitely crossed my mind. I think once I get back down to Ga I’ll go ahead and do that.

Comment

When you "git-R-dun", take a picture and post it!
                              I'm a real AR nut, but I just can't reconcile the SBR and the "armbrace/pistol" configuration.
                              Just my OFS! LOL!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad