No announcement yet.

Let's talk about rifles (Hunting/Varmint/comp) that are tack drivers for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll shoot however far I am comfortable.
    Deer hunting, most shots under 150 and offhand.
    I consider them gimmes if they aint movin.

Field positions, add another hundred yards or so.

Off a backpack? That's be like varminting and with rifle and load, should be good to 500.
    Assuming one isn't at high altitude sucking for air or has buck fever.

I don't get nervous before a shot, too busy focusing on what needs done, calculations etc.

After the shot is when the Jimmy leg kicks in.

There is a range about an hrs drive, that goes to 800.
    If I build a rig, will try some longer D stuff.

For deer here, outside of my bud's dads place, shots are under 250.
    Prone or w bipods.........those are yawners.

Like to go muley out west, a blued fluted .25-06 Sendero would be cool.
    With rangefinders so good and not expensive......think today's hunters have it pretty darn good playing the longer distance game.

And that just w factory rifles.

Better stuff w the confidence to run em.........enjoy those Best of the West long range vids on YT. Cool stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
      I am not a long range shooter. The farthest I have killed an animal was a mule deer in Colorado at 395 yards. Back east where I hunt I sight my guns in 1 inch high at 100 yards and I am good to 300+ which is about maximum distance in my hunting situations. My Tikka T3 Lite in .308 will shoot half inch groups at 100 yards all day long. My 300WSM will shoot 3/4 inch groups all the time at 100 yards when I do my part.
      Plenty good groups for the hunting you are doing.
      Good shooting!
      Is your 300 Wizzum a Tikka also?
      I was thinking it was, but not sure.

Comment

I know some of the BOTW guys.
        I know the Gunwerks guys better, and have spent time and shot with several of them.
        I enjoy the time I have spent with Aaron.
        One of their new guys that I have not meet with or shot with is Phillip Velayo.
        He is also the real deal, and he is very good and willing to give instruction.
        I really like how he approaches the fundamentals of shooting.
        Both groups are in the Cody area, which is on the opposite side of the state for me. I live in NE Wyoming.

Comment

I really have no idea if my old Army Springfield is any kid of tack driver. Until last year it only wore a 1970s Weaver 3X. Hardly distance shooting equipment. I don't have a lead sled to check it. I usually get it zeroed from a rest for 100 yards and that's good enough for my kind of hunting. But I know it can do better. I tagged an impala off shooting sticks last summer at 280 meters and the bullet hit him exactly where I expected.
          Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 05-23-2020, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Ernie no my 300WSM is a Sako A7 that I have been shooting for about 20 years or whenever the 300WSM's came out. I had the first one in my area and now there are a bunch of guys here shooting 300WSM's.

Comment

Roger that

Comment

OHH,
                Did you mean lead sled?

Comment

Never go full retard!

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                    Never go full retard!
                    Couple of full retard!
                    https://imgur.com/YlnPoNA
                    https://imgur.com/R3S6w4s

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                      OHH,
                      Did you mean lead sled?
                      Yes, of course. I had to answer the phone or I would have caught the typo. Good news! The trap club willl open on Tuesday afternoons starting this coming week albeit under strict distancing rules. No league this year, no one in clubhouse, toilets will be locked, no scorekeepers even. That latter rule seems a bit over the top but I think it's to keep people from congregating after shooting. Gun racks and picnic tables have been removed for same reason. Leave our guns in vehicles and bring our own lawn chairs (to be stationed strategically for respecting distancing rules). It will be very different and will require a lot of self discipline and courteous reminders for those like me who are forgetful. Socializing will be pretty much eliminated which is unfortunate because it is such a huge factor for most of us. But at least we will be able to shoot again! Gives me something to look forward to for a change.

Comment

I am not getting why one would want a lead sled for shooting at distance?
                        Glad you get to go shooting soon.
                        E

Comment

I guess I'm just a "deer killing Fudd" per cd2's description! LOL!
                          milldawg may be a recoil weenie, but betcha I'm more weenie than that!
                          I'm down to turkey hunting with a .410, a .22 rifle for around the house and an AR (6.8mm Rem SPC) for deer.
                          ...or learn to shoot left handed.

(rt shoulder)

Believe it or not, the .410 is doable, but a touch uncomfortable.
                          I haven't benched the AR, but off hand it's "doable".

The 6.8 got topped with a Leupold 1.5-4×20 w/Pig Plex reticle last summer. Because of the shoulder, it's on the paper at a hundred, but it hasn't been dialed in ... YET!
                          I'm not into the long range stuff, but do enjoy a 100 yard cloverleaf! Right now, I'm just happy to still be hunting!
                          Doc said 2 years. August will be 1 year. Can't wait until a cool Sept day. If I can even get a consistent <1" group at 100 yards, I'll be tickled! Click image for larger version  Name:	20200215_104654.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.31 MB ID:	734119 Anderson AM15 6.8mm Rem SPC II
                          Last edited by FirstBubba; 05-23-2020, 09:01 PM.

Comment

By far the majority of our shooting is the NY Sporterifle league the four of us shoot. Indoors, 50 ft offhand. The boy and I shot the last five matches of the season after he was eligible when he turned twelve. Started my daughter when she was 12 as well, and my wife decided it would be good family time. The idea was to get get kids ahead of the game fundamentally for hunting. Its paid off in spades. Funny thing was my wife, she's not competitive by nature, but after some steady progress she started getting ticked when she was off her game.

The boy has impressed a guy in the club who also shoots high power, he's offered to get the kid in the game with some donated equipment and a loaner rifle. Another fella who keeps track of scores in the local paper has also offered to take him to bench rest matches. Everything seems to be on hold due to the current circumstances. With all the attention the long distance game gets its starting to have some appeal. The .22 league is relatively cheap and right at home, not sure how my wife would feel about us getting into a new hobby.

Comment

Great story!

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                                I am not getting why one would want a lead sled for shooting at distance?
                                Glad you get to go shooting soon.
                                E
                                I don't get it either but seems to be standard for those guys who want to show off paper with quarter size groups. Meaningless in my book. But blowing holes in static targets never pulled my chain anyway. Blowing up moving targets is a lot more challenging ... and fun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                                  by Buckshott00
                                  "at what point is it quenched?"
                                  When it turns to looting and burning. No one is questioning that BHR. What I'm asking you to realize...
                                  Today, 01:35 PM
                                • Jackbooted Thugs
                                  by Buckshott00
                                  I know tensions are high. I know there's a curfew in effect, but...

If you fire (even pepper / paintball rounds) at someone on their porch...
                                  06-01-2020, 02:37 AM
                                  by Buckshott00
                                  We can agree on all those things or none of them. The beauty of love our country is that even if you accept the current Pres. anyone can still disagree...
                                  Today, 01:27 PM
                                  by Buckshott00
                                  Most of the people across the country are non-violent. In Michigan I watched people get right in the face and scream at MSP. The police restrained themselves...
                                  Today, 01:19 PM
                                • Reply to I'm just going to leave this here...
                                  by Buckshott00
                                  What's being nasty? Truth hurts eh?...
                                  Today, 01:10 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X