No announcement yet.

Let's talk about rifles (Hunting/Varmint/comp) that are tack drivers for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about rifles (Hunting/Varmint/comp) that are tack drivers for you

I don't use rifles very often, but I can shoot a rifle.
    This was 6 years ago.
    I have shot rifles since then😁
    Two competition rifles: 284 Winchester F-Open rifle talked about below and a F-TR rifle in 308 Winchester.
    The 308 shoots just as good as the 284 Win does off of a bi-pod FWIW.
    I was shooting my F-Open rig Chuck McIntosh built for me last year right before Sebastian and I went to Nat/World at the NRA Whittington Center. I had a different scope on it for that. First time I had ever used a rifle for a competition and my first time to ever shoot F-Class. I shot F-Open as a individual, and then I was asked to shoot on a F-TR Team (Bi-pod class 308 Winchester). Primarily shooting at 1000 yards...It is a score game. X-Ring is half minute (5") at a grand. 10 Ring is 10".
    You typically shoot 15-20 shot strings for score. 1-shot, target goes down, it is scored, up and now you are ready for your second shot...etc. It takes a while to shoot that many rounds and the conditions are always changing.
    You get the idea. My goal was to shoot clean. all shots in the 10 ring. I did accomplish that on the second day, with my cold bore being a X. This rifle flat out shoots if the driver does his/her job.

I had not spent any range time to speak of with my Burris XTR-II 8-40 with the MOA F-Class reticle (1/8 MOA turrets). Straight 284 Winchester light-loads with 180 Hybrids.
    NWP single-shot action, Broughton 8T barrel, Jewell trigger, stock built by Sebastian Lambang/SEB
    http://www.sebrests.com/
    There was 6 guys out there having a good time at distance, two of the guys were from Montana.
    They were shooting a Savage in 308 Winchester.
    Got the 284 zeroed at 100 yards, and then started working my way out.
    Have you ever went to the range and realize you left your drop chart at home? (Grrr!)
    Some technology on my iPhone helped me out.
    I shot out to 1000 yards, but really was just trying to get used to the scope, as I had not used this scope back then.
    Really like the reticle and the turrets. I like how they mark the turrets.
    I used the XTR to make wind calls when others were shooting a 338 Lapua Improved at 2073 yards. A good friend Dan who came out with me, was spotting with it as well.
    This is bench shooting.
    Anyway, back to the 284 Winchester. I had my wind down, shooting at that distance already, so I dropped some MOA (since I had been shooting at that same target already to have clear shooting area-We painted over those earlier shots before taking pics) and I decided to put 10 shots at 800 yards.
    It was hard to pick a aiming spot to be serious.
    On retrospect, I should have put a small dot on the steel and then drop 1.5 MOA, so I would not obliterate my aiming point.

Dan was spotting for me.
    I shot faster than would be possible in F-Class, since I didn't have to wait for the pits.
    Great conditions, SEB NEO Rest, SEB Bigfoot rear bag, stupid accurate rifle, and a really nice scope.
    One of the local guys decided he wanted a 5-25 XTR-II after seeing mine compared to other options he was considering.
    Accuracy of this rifle has already been proven last year at Nats/World.

Two other friends from Gillette had been playing at Chuck's furthest target, which is at 2073 yards. They had put three shots on steel, but were still a little frustrated at times from listening to them while Dan and I were shooting.
    338 Lapua Improved shooting the Berger 300 grain. It had a NXS 5.5-25, and they had run out of MOA, and they were using the MOA reticle.
    They kept asking me to shoot it, so I gave in. After some chatting, I got on the gun.
    Conditions had changed obviously, and it took two shots to get on steel (wind). The second shot was just off the edge.
    The next two shots were quick ones, as I was trying to stay in the condition.
    2-hits at 2073 yards with a friend's rifle (10 O'clock and 1 O'clock on the white bull).

This is the open territory I live in. Chuck's place is about a 25 minute drive south of my house
    Last edited by Ernie; 05-23-2020, 01:36 PM.

Very interesting, but also very different to my style of shooting. I generally just shoot at 100 yards to sight in deer rifles. I'm usually satisfied with 2 MOA or less.

Comment

I had a Ruger #1B in .243 win that was bone stock and a half incher @100 w handloads (Speer 75gr HP and 4895). Nothing great but a solid chucker.

Bipod up front (Harris) w just a front suede bag at back.

Same for my 700 ADL after some stock work (70gr Nosler BT and 4350).
      A bit better was my 700 BDL w bedded action and same load, but it was too shiny for yoting IMHO.

Best I ever shot was when a bud and I drove to check rigs at a F&W area, just lugging stuff to bench, after 1.5 hr drive and saw a guy at the longer range w a Stolle Panda.

He was taking a break at his tailgate and went over and complimented him on his rifle.
      Asked us if we'd like to shoot it

HECK YEAH!

Had 1 oz trigger. Stuck case on me, he popped gun off bag/rest and got it open, I shot again, same thing. He apologized and said that'd ruin my group. Got the next 3 off OK.

5 shots, half inch 225 yards.......gun off rest twice.

P*ssed him off. Outshot him.

Thanked the guy for the opportunity and informed him what I did for a living (worked under microscopes). He kinda mellowed then LOL

Comment

My weatherby 25-06 shoots less than MoA with me on the trigger. With more practice I’m sure I can get it tighter.

Comment

I'm no target shooter, and am not a Fudd blasting Bambi.
          Think I'm somewhere in the middle LOL

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            Very interesting, but also very different to my style of shooting. I generally just shoot at 100 yards to sight in deer rifles. I'm usually satisfied with 2 MOA or less.
            Differences is what makes the world go round.
            Different goals, different guns, different uses, etc...It's all good.
            2 MOA at 100 yards would personally drive me crazy🤣

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
              I had a Ruger #1B in .243 win that was bone stock and a half incher @100 w handloads (Speer 75gr HP and 4895). Nothing great but a solid chucker.

Bipod up front (Harris) w just a front suede bag at back.

Same for my 700 ADL after some stock work (70gr Nosler BT and 4350).
              A bit better was my 700 BDL w bedded action and same load, but it was too shiny for yoting IMHO.

Best I ever shot was when a bud and I drove to check rigs at a F&W area, just lugging stuff to bench, after 1.5 hr drive and saw a guy at the longer range w a Stolle Panda.

He was taking a break at his tailgate and went over and complimented him on his rifle.
              Asked us if we'd like to shoot it

HECK YEAH!

Had 1 oz trigger. Stuck case on me, he popped gun off bag/rest and got it open, I shot again, same thing. He apologized and said that'd ruin my group. Got the next 3 off OK.

5 shots, half inch 225 yards.......gun off rest twice.

P*ssed him off. Outshot him.

Thanked the guy for the opportunity and informed him what I did for a living (worked under microscopes). He kinda mellowed then LOL
              I imagine he was a 100/200 yard BR shooter from the description you are giving.
              Probably a 6PPC. He was probably neck sizing, since his cases were sticking.

It is always great when it is your day to look good!
              Good shooting!!!

Most of my shooting with my specialty pistols, is using a Harris BR bi-pod and a small leather field bag, under the grip.
              You can do a lot of cool stuff without going full retard like I did with my F-Open rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                My Weatherby 25-06 shoots less than MOA with me on the trigger. With more practice I’m sure I can get it tighter.
                Assuming yours is a Vanguard?
                They have a reputation of shooting good.
                Factory or reloads?
                Bullet?

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post

Assuming yours is a Vanguard?
                  They have a reputation of shooting good.
                  Factory or reloads?
                  Bullet?
                  Range certified 25-06 factory Barnes vortx 100 grain ttx

Comment

Barnes Tipped Triple Shocks are a good hunting bullet.
                    I believe they list 1800 fps as a minimum impact velocity, but those who use them a lot say 2000 feet per second impact velocity is a better guide to go by. I know some folks have fits getting the Barnes to shoot good out of their rifles and other guys barrels seem to like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post

Differences is what makes the world go round.
                      Different goals, different guns, different uses, etc...It's all good.
                      2 MOA at 100 yards would personally drive me crazy🤣
                      Well, with my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM, I can do 1/2 inch groups at 100 shooting off bags with factory loads... if I'm doing my part.

I sometimes wonder what that rifle would do with a bipod and high magnification scope or from a lead sled.

But the accuracy hasn't been needed so far. All I've killed with it was one pig and one whitetail doe, both at 30 to 35 yards!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Well, with my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM, I can do 1/2 inch groups at 100 shooting off bags with factory loads... if I'm doing my part.

I sometimes wonder what that rifle would do with a bipod and high magnification scope or from a lead sled.

But the accuracy hasn't been needed so far. All I've killed with it was one pig and one whitetail doe, both at 30 to 35 yards!
                        Truth be known, the accuracy that a good number of hunters desire out of their hunting rifles, is not needed for ethical kills, given the distances they are shooting at.
                        Keeping your fundamentals squared away while shooting on demand/pressure from field positions is much more important than the accuracy potential of most rifles.
                        Accuracy of a given rig will not compensate for sucky shooting on the part of the hunter.
                        Well made/designed weapons and field rests, can make the shooting part easier on the part of the hunter.
                        It is a systems approach, and I am usually the weak link

Comment

I would up load the target from the sub MoA group but I can’t figure it out lol.

Comment

And I agree intend shoot in hurry and off hand when at the range I have access to a short 250 yard private range I do what ever I want to so that helps.

Comment

I am not a long range shooter. The farthest I have killed an animal was a mule deer in Colorado at 395 yards. Back east where I hunt I sight my guns in 1 inch high at 100 yards and I am good to 300+ which is about maximum distance in my hunting situations. My Tikka T3 Lite in .308 will shoot half inch groups at 100 yards all day long. My 300WSM will shoot 3/4 inch groups all the time at 100 yards when I do my part.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wildebeest rug
                                by Happy Myles
                                Many fine eating animals are found in Africa, including Springbuck. Gerenuk is among my favorites along with Lesser kudu. As a matter of fact, all the...
                                Today, 01:51 PM
                              • Wildebeest rug
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                My daughter put in the request for wildebeest hide for my safari last year. Her man wasn't particularly crazy about it so I brought it home last week....
                                06-04-2020, 07:59 PM
                              • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                                by Buckshott00
                                "at what point is it quenched?"
                                When it turns to looting and burning. No one is questioning that BHR. What I'm asking you to realize...
                                Today, 01:35 PM
                              • Jackbooted Thugs
                                by Buckshott00
                                I know tensions are high. I know there's a curfew in effect, but...

If you fire (even pepper / paintball rounds) at someone on their porch...
                                06-01-2020, 02:37 AM
                              • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                                by Buckshott00
                                We can agree on all those things or none of them. The beauty of love our country is that even if you accept the current Pres. anyone can still disagree...
                                Today, 01:27 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X