No announcement yet.

Muzzlebrake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the angled ports do help in muzzle climb and/or recoil but I'm cautious of them. I use the JP Enterprises Recoil Eliminator on large calibers but those with side ports that are angled back just kill my sinuses. They blast toward the shooter and I feel that there are better ways to do this.

Comment

The brake is on my smith m&p performance center AR. It has no recoil to me. It’s scary how fast and well I can shoot it with not much practice. I’m old fashioned I think close in work is done with a pistol lol. Anyways not a fan of brakes. But the one I do have works like a champ. You can’t hold the gun for someone else to help them shoot it like my grandsons. It beats me to death when they shoot it. But I’ll put up with for them.

Comment

Milldawg... I surely understand your perspective. I didn't like and rarely used muzzle brakes until I started long range prairie dog shooting. We found that when we started shooting precision rifles/optics capable of predictable shots in the 500-1000 yard range, we needed spotters to see where we hit or whether we even hit the p-dog. The problem was always finding someone to dedicate a few days to doing nothing but spotting our shots... no one wanted to do that.

Unlike a 3-9x hunting scope , the high magnification scopes (i.e. 24-60x)carry a very narrow field of view and they come off the target with even a mild mannered .223. I use my .223 AR out to 850 yards and I don't think I've ever seen a bullet hit at that range without a muzzle brake. Partly because they are so far, I can't see the bullet hit without watching through a high magnification optic and partly because the scope moved enough so that I totally lost the target p-dog in my scope. All my muzzle brakes hold the muzzle solid and I can keep the scope right on each small target until I distinctly see the bullet hit. I don't need a spotter with this setup. For closer range hunting and plinking, I can screw the brake off to minimize the noise for other people in the area.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wildebeest rug
          by Happy Myles
          Many fine eating animals are found in Africa, including Springbuck. Gerenuk is among my favorites along with Lesser kudu. As a matter of fact, all the...
          Today, 01:51 PM
        • Wildebeest rug
          by Ontario Honker Hunter
          My daughter put in the request for wildebeest hide for my safari last year. Her man wasn't particularly crazy about it so I brought it home last week....
          06-04-2020, 07:59 PM
        • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
          by Buckshott00
          "at what point is it quenched?"
          When it turns to looting and burning. No one is questioning that BHR. What I'm asking you to realize...
          Today, 01:35 PM
        • Jackbooted Thugs
          by Buckshott00
          I know tensions are high. I know there's a curfew in effect, but...

If you fire (even pepper / paintball rounds) at someone on their porch...
          06-01-2020, 02:37 AM
        • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
          by Buckshott00
          We can agree on all those things or none of them. The beauty of love our country is that even if you accept the current Pres. anyone can still disagree...
          Today, 01:27 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X