Brown Precision custom in 7x57?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Precision custom in 7x57?

In the past year I've seen this same rifle at three different shows locally. It has Brown Precision on the polished stainless steel barrel and what I'm guessing is the original Brown Precision fiberglass stock. I'm not sure of the model or age of the gun, it is configured like a regular hunting rifle and built on an E-prefix 700 action. From what I find online these guns aren't cheap, reviews are mixed as to what you get for the price. Quality builds, but nothing exceptional for the cost. Thing is the guy's asking way less than what I see for current ones so maybe this would be a good buy. Oddly enough the thing has a standard Leupold one piece mount and a Vortex Crossfire scope, neither of which I'd be interested in having on the gun. I'm not sure that would be much of a bargaining chip.

If it was chambered in .270 or 7mm-08 I'd be all over it. I know the 7x57 fits right in there performance wise but I don't want to have buyers remorse over the caliber. I've been wanting to pick up a higher grade rifle for a few years now but the cheapskate in me keeps holding me back. There's a show coming up in a couple weeks, I may be tempted once more. Looking for some feedback about both the maker and the chambering. I have a number in mind to offer, just want to be sure I'm committed in case the guy accepts or even comes back close.

7x57 is a nice round fitch and the Brown rifles are worth every penny. If you can swing it , by all means go for it. Even though the 7x57 is a mild round on barrels make sure you have a round count or have the barrel checked as part of the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
      7x57 is a nice round fitch and the Brown rifles are worth every penny. If you can swing it , by all means go for it. Even though the 7x57 is a mild round on barrels make sure you have a round count or have the barrel checked as part of the deal.
      Pmacc, sending you a pm

Comment

My OPINION. Browns are around $2,000+. This puts in the the 3 Bergara b-14 hunter range. The 7x57 is like the 257Roberts & 300 Savage in that just about the time they fade into history hunters discover how good they are and there is a small resurgence. If you decide to go bigger than 140 gr in a 7mm/.284 they can outperform our 7-08. However, given the crazy popularity of the 6.5 Creed, as well as all the amazing performing rifles you could buy for less, I'd think twice. We live now in an incredible age of accurate rifles. Weatherby, Browning, Bergara, etc..... all make great guns for very good prices. I would have to find one below $1,000 to even get a second glance. And that's after the chamber, muzzle. Bolt face, stock fit, and magazine function passed my standards. Again just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
          My OPINION. Browns are around $2,000+. This puts in the the 3 Bergara b-14 hunter range. The 7x57 is like the 257Roberts & 300 Savage in that just about the time they fade into history hunters discover how good they are and there is a small resurgence. If you decide to go bigger than 140 gr in a 7mm/.284 they can outperform our 7-08. However, given the crazy popularity of the 6.5 Creed, as well as all the amazing performing rifles you could buy for less, I'd think twice. We live now in an incredible age of accurate rifles. Weatherby, Browning, Bergara, etc..... all make great guns for very good prices. I would have to find one below $1,000 to even get a second glance. And that's after the chamber, muzzle. Bolt face, stock fit, and magazine function passed my standards. Again just my 2 cents.
          Thanks Dewman, that's in the ballpark of what I'm thinking.

I was leaning toward a Fieldcraft in 7-08 or .270 but first they were having issues with the 7-08 barrels and stopped releasing them, then picked up a huge gov't contract and have suspended all production. Word is they're going to change to a fiberglass stock instead of the kevlar when they resume manufacturing. Depending on the weight and price that may take some allure off getting one.

Comment

Fitch270: I pm'd you back compadre

Comment

I think the 7X57 could be lengthened to the .280. By far the most efficient and practical round for all of the U.S. minus big bears. I have had both and the .280 was my most accurate round - ever. I have a target with 5 rounds fired with a hole of .334 if I remember. You can load a .280 from around 120 to 175. The 160 is all around best. Ammo is readily available from several manuf.

Comment

Ditto on what Dewman said. There are some very accurate current production rifles now in 6.5 CM and that's what I recommend. At reasonable hunting distances the 7x57 with modern loads and the 6.5 CM are practically the same in performance.

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/edit...formance/83658

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  I think the 7X57 could be lengthened to the .280. By far the most efficient and practical round for all of the U.S. minus big bears. I have had both and the .280 was my most accurate round - ever. I have a target with 5 rounds fired with a hole of .334 if I remember. You can load a .280 from around 120 to 175. The 160 is all around best. Ammo is readily available from several manuf.
                  For my purposes there wouldn't be any point in rechambering to .280, unless it would fix an eroded throat. If i do start reloading at least I could try the same bullets for both the 7x57 and 7-08.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                    Ditto on what Dewman said. There are some very accurate current production rifles now in 6.5 CM and that's what I recommend. At reasonable hunting distances the 7x57 with modern loads and the 6.5 CM are practically the same in performance.

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/edit...formance/83658
                    The practical side of me agrees 100%, but on this rare occasion I'm not concerned with practicality. I'm not however going to impulse buy just to find that the itch didn't get scratched. I'm also checking these shows for a rifle for my daughter, 6.5 Creed is up there on the list but I don't recall seeing a used one yet. Probably because they work and people don't get bored with them.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

For my purposes there wouldn't be any point in rechambering to .280, unless it would fix an eroded throat. If i do start reloading at least I could try the same bullets for both the 7x57 and 7-08.
                      .280 is also .284 diam bullet = 7mm. only thing more efficient is the .280AI (Ackley Improved) AI would gain about another 100fps. The 175gr .284 bullet used to have the best B.C. and sectional density of any caliber. Not sure if that is still true. By efficiency I mean the most velocity for amount of powder burned. For Example my Weatherby's are over bore and burn extra powder to exceed comparable standard cartridges. For example a .300Wby might take 85gr of powder to exceed same weight .300WinMag using 70gr by an additional 250fps (not real numbers - example only) jim

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                        .280 is also .284 diam bullet = 7mm. only thing more efficient is the .280AI (Ackley Improved) AI would gain about another 100fps. The 175gr .284 bullet used to have the best B.C. and sectional density of any caliber. Not sure if that is still true. By efficiency I mean the most velocity for amount of powder burned. For Example my Weatherby's are over bore and burn extra powder to exceed comparable standard cartridges. For example a .300Wby might take 85gr of powder to exceed same weight .300WinMag using 70gr by an additional 250fps (not real numbers - example only) jim
                        Yep, knew that about .284/7mm.

It can make your head spin trying to analyze the ballistic progressions between 7x57, 7mm/08, .280, .280AI, 7mmMag, etc. The newer high bc .284 bullets open even more doors.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Yep, knew that about .284/7mm.

It can make your head spin trying to analyze the ballistic progressions between 7x57, 7mm/08, .280, .280AI, 7mmMag, etc. The newer high bc .284 bullets open even more doors.
                          I don't know if you are aware - you don't buy .280AI. You buy regular .280 and it is fireformed in the chamber to AI. Also, .280Remington is also called 7mmExpressRemington and 7mm-06 they all could also be AI.

The .280 does almost everything the 7mmRemMag does with about 30% less recoil.

Comment

Looks like .280 AI available loaded

https://www.midwayusa.com/280-reming...r/br?cid=20804

Comment

Used to be, when you bought a mag vs standard chamber rifles, a magnum got you a recoil pad and 2" longer bbl (on 700 BDLs).

And I like the 7 Mag just fine.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad