With Honk in mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Honk in mind

I was at the airport when I picked up a magazine to read on the plane. I spotted the Outdoor Life wilderness addition and took it for the two and a half hour flight to Fort Lauderdale . I came across a article custom shot-shells . Federal has come out with the Federal Custom Shop TSS at the small price of $10.35 per round. As soon as I read that knowing that OHH was a user of 3-inch shells for waterfowl that he may want to jump all over these little gems ! I expect Honker to jump online and order his ASAP and maybe shoot a few rounds of trap this season ( you know just to get use to them) . Honk here is the contact federalpremium.com/custom-shop if your not already on it.

Sounds like fancy turkey loads. Usually it doesn't take more than one shot to seal the deal with them. I doubt many hunters, even the very rich and wannabee famous like me, will be cycling $10 rounds at geese. Provincial regulations do not allow us to shoot anything at the trap range heavier than 1 1/8 oz and faster than 1300 fps so that pretty much excludes any 3" waterfowl loads of any sort.

It does warm my heart to know you are thinking of me ... in a appropriate way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
      Sounds like fancy turkey loads. Usually it doesn't take more than one shot to seal the deal with them. I doubt many hunters, even the very rich and wannabee famous like me, will be cycling $10 rounds at geese. Provincial regulations do not allow us to shoot anything at the trap range heavier than 1 1/8 oz and faster than 1300 fps so that pretty much excludes any 3" waterfowl loads of any sort.

It does warm my heart to know you are thinking of me ... in a appropriate way.
      Just couldn’t help not thinking of you knowing how outrageous the cost of those shells are. Honk they are waterfowl loads and I was joking about the trap range ! Heck it amazes me that anyone would purchase a shell for that much money.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post

Just couldn’t help not thinking of you knowing how outrageous the cost of those shells are. Honk they are waterfowl loads and I was joking about the trap range ! Heck it amazes me that anyone would purchase a shell for that much money.
        Yes, that is amazing! I wonder just how badly some guys want to pick ducks! Truth be told, bagging birds probably has nothing to do with it. These custom shells are doubtless made for rich slobs who feel a desperate need to show off extravagance in any way possible. Several years ago I once hunted geese with a retired professor from a very wealthy family. He was shooting 3.5" tungsten - at several dollars per shell (he made a point of telling me precisely how expensive but I don't remember exactly how much - I do remember it was ridiculous). I shot a perfect five for five shots that morning using Walmart Winchester 3" steel BBs. He eventually did get his limit but it took him at least fifteen shots. That would have been a working man's car payment right there. His problem was trying to shoot too fast. In a big hurry to prove something. I was shooting my old beat up 1960s Wingmaster wearing ugly black synthetic. He had a brand new camoed up Beretta auto. He never asked to go hunting with me again. Oh well. Though showboating fancy stuff can be a serious addiction among waterfowl hunters, the upland crowd will put even them to shame. Wannabee nobility.

Comment

Turkey loads, schmurkey loads!
          Honk, it don't matter the bird; goose, duck, grouse, turkey or dove!
          One pellet to the CNS and the show is over.
          ...and it don't matter if it's #2 steel or #9 chilled lead, an interrupted spinal chord or one into the cranium will seal the deal.

It mostly has to do with how much money you care to spend (dedicated turkey ammo) or how much pain (3"/3.5" ammo) you want to endure.

Comment

Sooooooo Bubba are you in , only $10.35 a shot ! Extra pellets in the pattern , extra range sounds good ?

Comment

Sooooooo Bubba are you in , only $10.35 a shot ! Extra pellets in the pattern , extra range sounds good ?
              $10.35 a shot?
              Why not just go to Kroger's and buy a Butterball? LOL!
              That's over fifty bucks for just 5 rounds!
              Hope that stuff is at least gold plated!
              YIKES!

Comment

Somebody!
                Somewhere!
                WILL buy that stuff!

Think I'll just stay with my Win "Super X" #8 lead shot!
                If it ever quits working, maybe then I'll try the Fed "Custom Shoppe"!

Guy came into our shop one day.
                Wanted to know if we had any 3.5" ten gauge magnum #4's. We did!
                I asked, "Going goose hunting?"
                "No sir," came the reply, "I just need something that will knock squirrels out of the top of those pine trees at Neches!"
                Yellow pines pruned while young to make utility poles can grow to over 100 feet tall!

Comment

Consider the cost of a turkey....

We hunt tough public ground for the scenery and challenge.
                  Its a 3 hr drive one way. Hotel isnt too bad.

Six of us. Five yrs. Two birds.

So this will be my fourth time going ( missed out some due to torn foot ).

Shell cost doesnt mean much. Have a couple hundred invested already. And thats NOT counting the overtime I could have worked instead.

I didnt didnt mind paying 1.80 a shell back in the 90s for bismuth goose loads. Extended my range and killed way better. Plus it made my 3" gun a very good tool for the job. Now those shells are 2.80 each.

Nuisance season is 5 limit. Even w that volume of shooting....gas costs more than shells.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad