Straight-walled cartridges.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight-walled cartridges.

Why the sudden resurgence of interest in straight-walled cartridges, which have long been considered to be obsolete?
    Last edited by 99explorer; 12-10-2019, 03:53 PM.

Various States who were shotgun only have accepted straight wall as they generally have less range than necked cartridges. Limited range is a safety issue in many rural areas open to hunting.

Comment

Anyone remember the 357 maximum? Could shoot 38special, 357 magnum, or 357 maximum out of same gun. The 3.5" pumpgun of the revolver, single shot rifle world.Seems a natural for a carbine length bolt rifle. I mean, Winchester came out with their 350 right?

Comment

Up until now most of the states that required a straight walled case of 30 cal or less. Winchester came out with the 350 Legend to meet those requirements , but the states sort of defeated them by now allowing straight wall cases of 444 Marlin, 45-70, and 450 Marlin.

Comment

The req was .35 cal or LARGER, not less. Big fat rainbow stuff, limiting range.

IN did it some time back and had max and min case length.

1.16- 1.625 and .35 or larger.
          changed to 1.8 max and folks started trimming .35 rem

Unlike other states, IN never said straight wall case. So wildcatters had some fun.

Most folks dont reload so .357 and .44 mag (and similar) the most common. .450 BM popular too......guess really is in Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            Anyone remember the 357 maximum? Could shoot 38special, 357 magnum, or 357 maximum out of same gun. The 3.5" pumpgun of the revolver, single shot rifle world.Seems a natural for a carbine length bolt rifle. I mean, Winchester came out with their 350 right?
            Some say the .357maximum is perfect for a single shot rifle.

Comment

My bud had a G2 Contender carbine in .357 max and ran hot 180s. Said he didnt need that much oomph and went back to lever .357 rem mag. Shots under 100. Twelve for twelve.
              Did tell me he got a win 94 trapper in either .44 or .30-30 and thats his new fave.

Comment

Some guys got the Ruger #1 CHP in .357 mag and reamed them to max.
                Roll marked logo CHP made in higher number than non marked.
                All pricey these days

Comment

Wonder if JES could just rebore a .223 #1 for .350 Legend?

Comment

I have been able to get my hooks on anything chambered in 350 legend to give it a thumbs up or down. In the meantime I’ll keep pulling the trigger on my Henry 45-70. I ain’t had anything run off on me yet with it. I have a leupold 2-7x33 on top and it’s hard to beat it. Quick ha fling and accurate. I wish and would adopt the use of straightwalled cartridges here.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad