Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

350 Legend or 300 Blackout for 8 year old.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350 Legend or 300 Blackout for 8 year old.

My little girl is going to start hunting with me next year she will be 8 in January. She is a tack driver with .22 and .17. She has shot my AR and Scorpion. Biggest thing is holding a gun up. She would be hunting from a blind with shots no more than 50 yards. Want something with more knock down than a .223. I am looking at both calibers in the Ruger American rifle. Both can be bought with a 16 inch barrel and weigh only 6 lbs.

Have you thought about something like this for steady shooting for her? I like the 350 legend of the 2 but there are many options.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
      Have you thought about something like this for steady shooting for her? I like the 350 legend of the 2 but there are many options.
      Yes. I thought I would get her one to only rest the front on and let her control the stock though.

Comment

I've never fired a 350 Legend but have had a .300 Blackout for two years. For a couple of years, one of my friends had his son killing deer with the .300 BLK out of bolt-action. I think he started about the same age as your daughter.

I've killed 2 deer so far with the .300 BLK, both neck shots. Had a third run off, with a poorly placed subsonic shoulder shot. So, I'm going to stick with the 110 grain supersonics this coming season.

Both cartridges should have similar mild recoil and muzzle blast. I bet they will produce similar performance with the same shot placement and construction of bullet. The 300 has a better ballistic coefficient and should have slightly longer range but that won't be a factor in the decision, so it's a wash.

However, the 350 Legend was just released this year so available ammo is very poor compared to that of the .300 BLK which has a multitude of offerings. On that alone, I'd go with the .300 BLK.

As far as shooting platform, why not just stick with the AR since your daughter is already familiar with it? A complete upper can be had for a couple hundred bucks.

Comment

I thought about building her an AR in 300 but i like the idea of her having a bolt action in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by kbailey45us View Post
            I thought about building her an AR in 300 but i like the idea of her having a bolt action in that situation.
            A telescoping AR stock will more likely fit her short arms better with either a 300 or a 350 upper. You wouldn't need to build a whole rifle. Just switch uppers and bolt carrier and be careful not to ever load the larger rounds into your .223 upper when you switch back.

Another option is to use light recoiling ammo in your .308 Ruger American. I've got a reduced handload for my wife utilizing a 150 grain .30-30 round nose bullet. PigHuntress has no problem with recoil from her single-shot with that. Here's a factory load with reduced recoil:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018879336?pid=939544

Comment

A lot of hunters around here are buying guns in 350 Legend for their young hunters. They like the idea of having a bolt action rifle.

Comment

I bought a 30 caliber suppressor which works great on my AR in .300 BLK. It eliminates the muzzle blast and greatly reduces the overall report even with supersonic ammo. Combined with the telescoping stock, that should help one of my grandkids get on target and not flinch when they get old enough to hunt with me. Safe handling is the same between the bolt and semi, independent from the platform other than how to operate the safety lever. If multiple shots are a concern with the semi, then just load one round per mag and have spare mags, problem solved.

Comment

What pighunter said.
                  Build or buy the child a .300 Blk upper.
                  Everybody is so afraid of a kid picking up an AR and doing the "spray and pray" thing.
                  Only load 2 rounds.
                  One up the spout and one in the mag.

Comment

Not really worried about the spraying with semi just figured that's what she is used to in her 2 rifles. They also make a 300 black in that ruger as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kbailey45us View Post
                      My little girl is going to start hunting with me next year she will be 8 in January. She is a tack driver with .22 and .17. She has shot my AR and Scorpion. Biggest thing is holding a gun up. She would be hunting from a blind with shots no more than 50 yards. Want something with more knock down than a .223. I am looking at both calibers in the Ruger American rifle. Both can be bought with a 16 inch barrel and weigh only 6 lbs.
                      I'd recommend the .300Blackout primarily due to a much better selection of ammo.

Others have already suggested the AR platform, which is an what I have gotten for three of my sisters. They have gotten along very well with them and Winchester's 150gr. .300Blackout Deer Seasons have performed admirably.
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post

I'd recommend the .300Blackout primarily due to a much better selection of ammo.

Others have already suggested the AR platform, which is an what I have gotten for three of my sisters. They have gotten along very well with them and Winchester's 150gr. .300Blackout Deer Seasons have performed admirably.
                        ​​​​​​
                        Red Angus, what shot placement have your sisters been using and what were the results? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Red Angus, what shot placement have your sisters been using and what were the results? Thanks!
                          Behind the shoulder, lungs and the arteries going to the liver.
                          The first deer shot was a 70 pound young for that ran about 100 yards leaving a blood trail a blind man could follow.
                          Sister #5 shot a 140 pound doe earlier this month at 90 yard that jumped and fell over, ending up within 5 feet of where she was shot.

Comment

If the furthest shot she will take is between 50-60 yards I would look for a handle rifle, youth model rifle, 20 Ga shotgun. There are a number of calibers that will work ranging from 223 (if legal to hunt with in your state/county) 243, 250 savage, 257 Roberts, 6mm, 7mm08. I know guys that use a 70gr-75gr 223/556 copper or bonded bullet with great success. If you choose the AR-15 I would go with the 300blk like everyone has stated before me. You’ll be able to get plenty of ammo for her to practice with. Best of luck and happy hunting!!!

Comment

Get her a bolt rig in 243 Win, 6 Creed, 250 Savage, or 6.5 Creed.
                              Have her wear hearing protection and put a solid bottomed brake on it, and it will be so light in the recoil department

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
                                by CD2
                                Honestly, I would not feel handicapped running a smooth bore shotgun for deer out to 125 yards or so. If I had to, it'd be the green/black camo old M500...
                                Today, 12:35 PM
                              • High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
                                by Freewolf1
                                I've seen other threads and comments about putting see through or high rise mounts on a marlin 336 30/30. I understand that these mounts make for a change...
                                11-27-2019, 07:18 PM
                              • Reply to High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
                                by CD2
                                I had an 835. Older one. It worked fine.
                                But it was a Mossberg.
                                I hate a thick wrist on a shotgun.
                                Read that the new bismuth #2 in...
                                Today, 12:31 PM
                              • Reply to Outdoor Life !, bu
                                by PigHunter
                                Thanks for the heads up about RFC. I just require minute-of-squirrel accuracy and probably wouldn't fit in on that forum.
                                Today, 12:01 PM
                              • Outdoor Life !, bu
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                It has been over a month since anything new has been posted on OL ! Is that site dead in the water, or is there a reason to keep it alive ? Is there...
                                Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X