No announcement yet.

Modified 10/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of folks like to "tinker" with guns.
    One of the reasons DIY AR's are all the rage right now.
    Guys can tinker with a .22LR and it's not as "morally, ethically" as complicated as the current "moral dilemma" of an AR15.

Sadly, "THE" most accurate, out of the box, .22LR on the market today is the Marlin/Glenfield M60 with its "Micro-Groove" barrel.

Comment

1022 are easy to mod. Same as an AR but no tools needed. I dont see the fun in it.

Some folks get a good one and are happy. Many get mediocre ones and are happy because it shoots better than they can.

Some folks just want a rig a little better than average and maybe in a config not offered from the factory.

Its easy and not much money to change it around and see if its something you like better
      Last edited by CD2; 10-19-2019, 12:02 AM.

Comment

A half inch at 50 yards fingergroove sporter would be fine w me. They dont make that model anymore and if used, proly cleaned always from the muzzle, with who knows what chamber dims. For 125 bucks i can slap on an aftermarket bbl w a Bentz chamber. Trigger job for major improvement doesnt cost anything, but 30 bucks buys a hammer you just swap......takes 10 mins.

Im gonna try a take off bbl and see if it helps....my old one may need recrowned. 55 bucks is a cheap experiment ( new take off bbl ).

Whats gonna cost is a mint old leupold 4x compact.

Comment

I personally detest the M60. And Im no fan of the 1022 carbine either. But drop it in a fingergroove and it has possibilities

Comment

I like the 1022 magazine. Prefer flush fit on rifles as thats where my hand usually is carrying them. Dont like bbl bands or curved butt plates.
            So the standard model and me dont dont get along. Classic yeah.....but no thanks.

Buddy got one of the first laminated target models and it did well. But he had a Clark squirrel model too.

Ive heard the 1022 haters.....and let one shoot my old fingergroove.
            Made a convert LOL.

Some people dont care, some are not really perceptive of slight changes.....and thats fine.

But some stuff does shoot and or feel better than others and theres usually a bit of cost to it
            Last edited by CD2; 10-19-2019, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              Lots of folks like to "tinker" with guns.
              One of the reasons DIY AR's are all the rage right now.
              Guys can tinker with a .22LR and it's not as "morally, ethically" as complicated as the current "moral dilemma" of an AR15.

Sadly, "THE" most accurate, out of the box, .22LR on the market today is the Marlin/Glenfield M60 with its "Micro-Groove" barrel.
              If you believe that about the m60, that is sad

Comment

Just ordered a new take off smooth 18.5" Ruger bbl from SAP.
                $55 shipped.
                No mod to stock needed.
                If I went GM sporter 20" I'd have some minor wood removal.
                Might do that if the factory bbl is junk.

I figured the old one, about 50 yrs old, may have crown dinged or chamber or who knows what off a bit. Fresh start for 55 bucks is cheap enough.

See what happens.

Went to gunshow, waste of time and 5 bucks. Did see a first yr 10/22 for sale (1964).

Now gotta shop for a Leupold 4X.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                  I personally detest the M60. And Im no fan of the 1022 carbine either. But drop it in a fingergroove and it has possibilities
                  Other than the "accuracy" factor, I'm not a M60 fan either.
                  It just kinda amazes me that a gun that cheap shoots that well.

Comment

My Dad gave me his Winchester Model 74 which was made in 1951. It will do 1/2 inch, 10 shot groups at 50 yards. That was better than my factory original 10/22. So, I gave the Ruger to my daughter and now hunt with the Winchester.

I probably will never buy another 10/22 because I simply don't need one. However, last December I got a Ruger American Rimfire and it uses the 10/22 mags. So far I'm very pleased. I'm using it with subsonic ammo and a suppressor. It's actually quieter than my air rifle. With it I've killed squirrels and a racoon.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                      If you believe that about the m60, that is sad
                      dewman, the M60 has "Micro Groove" rifling. Sixteen "lands & grooves".
                      I will definitely agree that the M60 isn't "suave and debonair". It isn't particularly popular, nor is it "handsome", but the darned things are accurate ... well, as far as a .22LR hunting rifle should be.
                      No, it's not a bench rest gun.

Comment

I sold the only Marlin 60 I've ever owned because of the poor trigger. It was good enough to keep with everybody else's .22s at our weekend outings but that trigger pull was like dragging a concrete block across the sidewalk. Still hit dimes (smallest) and quarters (largest) for targets at 50 yards.

My 10/22 a bull barreled factory model, stainless hammer forged spiral barrel. No need to add bells and whistles if you buy the right gun in the first place.

Comment

But what if somebody doesnt want a .920 bbl and laminated stock?

Ruger doesn't make what I want. I've owned various factory models, shot customs my buds bought too.

Fingergrooves haven't been made since '71.

The 20" GM sporter bbl in the fingergroove, proly what I'll end up with.

It'll just look like an old beater squirrel rig..........to the uncool kids.

What I do think funny, is people putting the "build experience" ahead of the sum of parts.

As if slapping together some easy to assemble parts is some cosmic feat of engineering. Feel good do nothing BS. Same w ARs............most folks go cheap and screw it up.

Pretty comical.

At least my 10/22s are older, have smooth actions, true bbl and scope base alignment. Why buying used is a smart idea. Check before you plunk the money.

Spent some time on a couple forums/groups............not impressed with the average woke 1022 owner.

Most of their builds are nothing but abortions.
                          Last edited by CD2; 10-20-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad