The ideal deer rifle facelift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    I only have a couple minutes and there are a bunch of good topics going on right now but I’ll jump in quick.
    A good friend of mine uses the RamLine stock set on a 740 that was his grandfather’s, the factory wood was splitting and he needed something quick before the season. This was years ago and even though he’s found new wood the synthetic is still on the gun.

I kept the RamLine from my 788 when I bought the Boyd’s laminate and ended up using it on the boy’s .222 he was given. My plan is to piller bed the action, which shouldn’t be difficult give the bottom metal set up on the 788’s, then make sure the barrel channel is fully floated. They are cheap stocks, but the ergonomics fit both of us pretty well.

As to the spray foam, not a good idea from what I’ve read. Apparently the chemical makeup will eat up the pad screws in a hurry. Maybe packing peanuts or something like airsoft pellets might work. Airsoft pellets would probably be easiest to remove.
    I suspect it is the moisture that collects inside plastic gun stocks rather than chemicals in the foam that eats up butt plate screws. If it was a chemical issue, there'd be a lot of house door frames falling out on the ground. The expanding foam stuff was designed to fill the voids between door frames and windows and their structural housing. Would be a dangerous situation if foam ate up the nails holding them in place.

Comment

This is what you want. Even comes in any color you want, as long as it is black

https://www.greatstuff.dupont.com/co.../179-07409.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I suspect it is the moisture that collects inside plastic gun stocks rather than chemicals in the foam that eats up butt plate screws. If it was a chemical issue, there'd be a lot of house door frames falling out on the ground. The expanding foam stuff was designed to fill the voids between door frames and windows and their structural housing. Would be a dangerous situation if foam ate up the nails holding them in place.
        Could be, and I’d wondered about nails as well. I had the same idea but looked it up online to find a few comments including one thread with pictures. Screws were rotted off in a few months if I recall correctly. The quality of the metal might be a factor as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
          My 760 has checkering, pressed, an old ADL. Buttplate is OK. .35 rem............I'm leaving it alone. 4X Leupold is in low rings, low enough to be usable.

Had an old 760 in .30-06. Buttplate. 150s and recoil was no big deal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC04010 (2).JPG Views:	7 Size:	151.6 KB ID:	715245
          Nice Looking rifle. My old 7400 is actually the Model Four variant with Monte-Carlo comb, in .30-06. The stock is in poor shape with splitting at the receiver, probably due to moisture. I've been reluctant to spend money on that old pawn shop gun but there's no doubt it would look much better with a Boyd's stock. The scope is a Nikon 3-9x40 with BDC

Click image for larger version  Name:	2015_01_19 Oakmulgee Sow 8x10r.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.2 KB ID:	715257

Comment

PH, Watch GunBroker and e-Bay for used furniture for your 760. Lot of times when someone buys synthetic they sell the wood. Be nice to find a BDL set for the rifle. Treat it good, it will outlast you.
            On foam for hollow synthetic stocks, you would need to get non-expanding closed cell and it will not be hydroscopic.
            I have synthetic on my Remington 700, 7400 and Weatherby and like them all. 700 and Weatherby are Bell and Carlson, 7400 is whatever Remington uses.
            Someone mentioned a flexible for end on a synthetic - my Savage B Mag is that way and I have learned just to pull it straight back for extra purchase on the shoulder. Accuracy is great, about 1 1/2" to 2" at 300 yds. I think I have put up pics of 300 yd targets.
            Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-30-2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

I have probably refinished over 100 rifles for people over the years. When the Remington 788's came out with their light hardwood stocks I had access to walnut forend material from the local sawmill. I stripped them down to the light finish and then I cut the forend off about 2 1/5 inches and put a dark walnut slopped forend on them and a dark walnut cap on the pistol grip. Once I did one I was covered up doing them. I must say the light stock with the walnut forend and grip cap looked pretty good. I usually put about 15 or 20 coats of hand rubbed Tru Oil on them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad