The ideal deer rifle facelift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ideal deer rifle facelift

A couple of years ago my 760 Remington 30-06 inherited from Dad won the Dodge "best whitetail gun" contest. A great gun but Dad cut the stock off short about fifty years ago for my mom to use (her dad gave it to him two weeks after I was born). It's always been way too short for me even with a slip-on added. I had to be very careful to avoid getting popped by its old Weaver 4X. Was at the local fur trapper association gun show today and picked up a used set of Ram-Line synthetic stocks for the gun. Twenty bucks, like new condition, and with a Decelerator recoil pad fitted to it. Maybe I'll take it to Montana for muley buck this fall. The old Springfield got quite a workout in Africa. But that gun does fit me like a glove. It's a tossup. Shall we take a poll?

I would have not wasted money on the Ramline stock. A Boyd's replacement stock would look much better. Perhaps in Nutmeg finish...
    https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

Comment

Nice find for $20 bucks. Matches your A5 now

Comment

I wouldn't waste money for that stock.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          I would have not wasted money on the Ramline stock. A Boyd's replacement stock would look much better. Perhaps in Nutmeg finish...
          https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator
          It was only twenty bucks. They are usually about $75. This one also has a better recoil pad added. Hell, those Decelerator pads alone are more than twenty bucks here. Years ago I thought about putting a Boyds nutmeg laminate on it. They do a nice job and their laser checkering is better than the real deal in my opinion. But I stopped hunting moose, elk, and whitetails. A heavy cover stalking gun was no longer needed so I really couldn't justify the expense. Only started hunting big game again about four years ago but just spot-and-stalk "plains game" mule deer. The Springfield is a good gun for that. I admit it was difficult changing the 760 as it had family history. But that gun was cut down way too short even with a slip-on recoil pad added. Water and debris always gets inside those which is bad for the wood. The 760 is now a gun my daughter can use without risking her eyebrow getting bashed. She's been talking about taking up whitetail/moose hunting with her partner. The 760 may be slightly lighter than my Springfield and it's sure a lot easier to carry in the bush. Slips right up against my side when shouldered. Barrel is a bit shorter too. If she decides that's what she wants to do, I'll probably change the scope too. That old Weaver 4X with fine crosshairs is a bit dicey in poor light.
          Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 09-30-2019, 11:03 AM.

Comment

The only legitimate complaint I've heard against Ramline stocks was on the bolt action models the forearm isn't stiff enough causing inconsistent upward pressure, affecting accuracy. Not an issue here. Older gun, not outstanding wood, poor fit, all fixed for $20. I say well done. I would do the same in a minute as well. From all his posts over the years OHH has put functionality and utility over looks and come on fellas, $20. However, I do love me a good Boyds myself, coyote or camo my favorites, black pepper ok, royal jacaranda or one of the zombie/pastels a little out there, maybe on a bench/varmint rig.

Comment

OHH, I was suggesting the Boyd's only for looks on that heirloom rifle. The Ramline should be ok for functionality.

I had a Ramline stock on my Remington 788 for years. Like Dewman said, the forearm was a little flexible and could affect accuracy. But you shouldn't have that issue with the 760. Another minor gripe I had with the synthetic stock was the slightly louder noise it made when accidentally brushed against a limb during stalking.

I've got a couple of the newer fixed 4x Weaver's on rifles and have been pleased. There's something to be said for simplicity.
              Last edited by PigHunter; 09-30-2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

OHH, I was suggesting the Boyd's only for looks on that heirloom rifle. The Ramline should be ok for functionality.

I had a Ramline stock on my Remington 788 for years. Like Dewman said, the forearm was a little flexible and could affect accuracy. But you shouldn't have that issue with the 760. Another minor gripe I had with the synthetic stock was the slightly louder noise it made when accidentally brushed against a limb during stalking.

I've got a couple of the newer fixed 4x Weaver's on rifles and have been pleased. There's something to be said for simplicity.
                I read somewhere you could shoot a little of that expanding foam insulation into the hollow plastic stocks and it would dampen the noise of things scratching up against them. Anyone else hear of this? Anyone tried it?

Comment

The old Weaver scope has held up fine over the past sixty-seven years (it's birthday coincides with mine) and fixed four power is good for anything that gun would be used for. However, its fine crosshairs aren't the greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                    I read somewhere you could shoot a little of that expanding foam insulation into the hollow plastic stocks and it would dampen the noise of things scratching up against them. Anyone else hear of this? Anyone tried it?
                    I'm sure that would do the trick. My only concern would be the foam might soak up water when hunting in rain or wet conditions. That would add weight and probably rust the recoil pad screws to the point they couldn't be removed (I always change the factory ones to stainless for that reason). You'd be surprised how much moisture finds its way into those hollow stocks (I know this from experience - both my A-5 Magnum and old 870 Wingmaster magnum are wearing black plastic). A good way to prevent this would be to use some sealant when installing the recoil pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I'm sure that would do the trick. My only concern would be the foam might soak up water when hunting in rain or wet conditions. That would add weight and probably rust the recoil pad screws to the point they couldn't be removed (I always change the factory ones to stainless for that reason). You'd be surprised how much moisture finds its way into those hollow stocks (I know this from experience - both my A-5 Magnum and old 870 Wingmaster magnum are wearing black plastic). A good way to prevent this would be to use some sealant when installing the recoil pads.
                      Perhaps some form of caulking then instead of foam. Bathroom or maybe that rubbery exterior caulk? I wouldn't think you would have to completely fill the space, maybe parallel beads.

Comment

I only have a couple minutes and there are a bunch of good topics going on right now but I’ll jump in quick.
                        A good friend of mine uses the RamLine stock set on a 740 that was his grandfather’s, the factory wood was splitting and he needed something quick before the season. This was years ago and even though he’s found new wood the synthetic is still on the gun.

I kept the RamLine from my 788 when I bought the Boyd’s laminate and ended up using it on the boy’s .222 he was given. My plan is to piller bed the action, which shouldn’t be difficult give the bottom metal set up on the 788’s, then make sure the barrel channel is fully floated. They are cheap stocks, but the ergonomics fit both of us pretty well.

As to the spray foam, not a good idea from what I’ve read. Apparently the chemical makeup will eat up the pad screws in a hurry. Maybe packing peanuts or something like airsoft pellets might work. Airsoft pellets would probably be easiest to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

The old Weaver scope has held up fine over the past sixty-seven years (it's birthday coincides with mine) and fixed four power is good for anything that gun would be used for. However, its fine crosshairs aren't the greatest.
                          Here's the dual-X crosshairs on the current production Weaver K-series. They are about $200 (US) on Amazon
                          http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/r...pes/classic_k/

Comment

I'd have just put on a Remingtonm 7600 synth buttstock (factory).
                            They can be had w high comb or regular ( maybe have to go 7615 for non high comb).
                            Of course, I'd refinish the wood forend to black to match. Or paint the buttstock brown.
                            There are used walnut stocks all around, uncut. Coulda just slapped one on.
                            Fleabay prices can be from good to ridiculous.
                            If leaving the wood forend alone, I'd have gotten a factory walnut replacement.
                            IIRC an 870LW 20 ga stock also fits.
                            Am no fan of Ramline stuff.
                            Last edited by CD2; 09-30-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

My 760 has checkering, pressed, an old ADL. Buttplate is OK. .35 rem............I'm leaving it alone. 4X Leupold is in low rings, low enough to be usable.

Had an old 760 in .30-06. Buttplate. 150s and recoil was no big deal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04010 (2).JPG
Views:	78
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	715245
                              Last edited by CD2; 09-30-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad