Hype about 6.5 Creedmore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
    Im a used to be varmint hunter and if i want to pop a critter out yonder am fine w buying a .25-06 or if needing heavier....a 7 mm rem mag.
    I've used a 25-06 for varmints for over 50 years. It is great for foxes and coyotes. I use it to shoot p-dogs out to 750 yards with 75g-90g bullets too. It is very accurate at 1000 yards with the Berger 115 but I must admit, it bruises my shoulder after only 20 or 30 rounds with that bullet because the recoil becomes noticeable. I shoot 300-600 rounds a day of 6mm Creedmoor and never feel recoil of any kind. The 6.5 CM has a little more recoil than that but I can still shoot it all day at 1000 yards. There is no way I would use a 7mm Mag for varmints. Way too much recoil for me. I can't imagine shooting 1000 rounds a day of 7mm Mag without having a chiropractor on retainer and a Certified Financial Planner helping me reload. If you expect to hit prairie dogs at 1000 yards, you can't develop a flinch.
    Last edited by DakotaMan; 09-28-2019, 11:28 PM.

Comment

I'm not interested in high volume shooting, or even 1000 yards.
      Maybe pop a chuck or yote past 500, that'd be good enough.
      Problem is, only have one spot that could offer such a shot, and it's a pretty good drive to get to.
      Have always wanted a .257 Mark V, just to pop a yote.
      85's over 4K sounds too cool.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
        As a long range cartridge, the 6.5 CM and simlar cartridges depend completely on a premium high precision shooting platform including precision long range optics. Don't expect to buy a $400 Ruger American chambered in 6.5 CM and shoot five inch groups at 1000 yards. It is a great cartridge for close range deer hunting too but you won't see its long range virtues until you drop it in a precision rifle.
        But less than 1MOA groups are easily achieved with an unmodified $400 Ruger American.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

But less than 1MOA groups are easily achieved with an unmodified $400 Ruger American.
          Even if I could SEE a deer at 1000 yards, I wouldn't shoot that far.
          Even if I could.

Punching paper at a thousand yards? That's one thing.
          Poking at deer that range ain't hunting, unless you're starving.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Even if I could SEE a deer at 1000 yards, I wouldn't shoot that far.
            Even if I could.

Punching paper at a thousand yards? That's one thing.
            Poking at deer that range ain't hunting, unless you're starving.
            Show me where I said I'm interested in long range hunting.

Comment

Show me where I said I'm interested in long range hunting.
              Take a chill pill baby!
              I wasn't "poking the pig", okay?
              It was more a simple statement.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Take a chill pill baby!
                I wasn't "poking the pig", okay?
                It was more a simple statement.
                Lol, will do! Was in a grouchy mood on the way home from the beach. Rented a Sea-doo on Saturday and my legs are still in recovery. But it was a fun, full-throttle time in the Gulf ๐Ÿ‘ ... Now I'm walking around stiff-legged.

Comment

Lol, will do! Was in a grouchy mood on the way home from the beach. Rented a Sea-doo on Saturday and my legs are still in recovery. But it was a fun, full-throttle time in the Gulf ๐Ÿ‘ ... Now I'm walking around stiff-legged.
                  Sound like fun, PH! One comment on Barnes and other copper bullets... I switched to them in my fast-movers a long time ago for the performance, not the anti-lead hype. I still use Partitions and such in some cartridges. Cheers, Roll Tide and War Eagle!

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

Sound like fun, PH! One comment on Barnes and other copper bullets... I switched to them in my fast-movers a long time ago for the performance, not the anti-lead hype. I still use Partitions and such in some cartridges. Cheers, Roll Tide and War Eagle!
                    I bought into the hype when the Barnes X-bullet was released and loaded both gen 1 and then gen 2 designs back in the 90's. I even tried the moly coated versions. Like I said, the bullets performed as advertised and I've never lost an animal I've shot with one. I think there's still a couple boxes of loaded .308 still in my basement. My only gripe was how fast the old style fouled barrels. Best wishes, War Eagle and Roll Tide!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad