Hype about 6.5 Creedmore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hype about 6.5 Creedmore

I don't know how I ever killed the abundance of deer that I have killed over the years and the hogs, and coyotes that I have killed over the years without a 6.5 Creedmore. The gun writers are telling me that I can't kill anything unless I have a 6.5 Creedmore. I think that my .308 and my 300WSM will do just fine.

Silly, you just were shooting old-fashioned game. The new breed of deer and swine wouldn't feign to be shot with anything as outdated as a 30-caliber anything.

Comment

Sarge (and Amflyer), don't let your reaction to the hype cloud your opinion. The 6.5 Creedmoor is the real deal. It's an incremental enhancement of the Remington 260, which has more than proven itself. And the 260 was an improvement over the 6.5 Swede.

For short distances I can't see any difference in terminal performance compared to my .308 Win. However, my 6.5 CM is by far the most accurate centerfire I own... and that's from the relatively inexpensive Ruger American. An added benefit is the slightly reduced recoil, increased bullet ballistic coefficient and sectional density. Here's a good article comparing the two. Of course the .300WSM is in another league but is really more than you need for hunting deer, hogs, and coyotes.

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/65...08-winchester/

I've never seen an article suggesting hunters to trade in their .308's, 270's, and .30-06's for the 6.5 CM. That's why I don't understand the animosity towards the cartridge. Certainly you don't feel threatened by the hype so what is the problem? There's no doubt the 6.5 CM is a great choice for someone's first or only deer rifle.
      Last edited by PigHunter; 09-24-2019, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
        Sarge (and Amflyer), don't let your reaction to the hype cloud your opinion. The 6.5 Creedmoor is the real deal. It's an incremental enhancement of the Remington 260, which has more than proven itself. And the 260 was an improvement over the 6.5 Swede.

For short distances I can't see any difference in terminal performance compared to my .308 Win. However, my 6.5 CM is by far the most accurate centerfire I own... and that's from the relatively inexpensive Ruger American. An added benefit is the slightly reduced recoil, increased bullet ballistic coefficient and sectional density. Here's a good article comparing the two. Of course the .300WSM is in another league but is really more than you need for hunting deer, hogs, and coyotes.

I've never seen an article suggesting hunters to trade in their .308's, 270's, and .30-06's for the 6.5 CM. That's why I don't understand the animosity towards the cartridge. Certainly you don't feel threatened by the hype so what is the problem? There's no doubt the 6.5 CM is a great choice for someone's first or only deer rifle.
        pighunter, just like anything else, you gotta snub the "newb"!
        ...but like saege01, how the heck did I kill all that game with a .30-30 and an antique 16 gauge shotgun?

Comment

Ballistically, there is nothing any better or worse about the 6.5 CM.
          It's just a new toy.
          Deer don't die any deader than with any other caliber.
          Next will be the 6.5 CM Improved,
          The Weatherby will come out with a 6.5-460 that will shoot a 150 grain bullet at 5,000 fps and kill deer three zip codes away.
          Leupold will release it's new 25-175×110 scope with bullet strike forecaster and Apple will build an app to calculate holdover and windage.

It's just a new(?) cartridge, no better or worse than the last new round cast upon the fickle seas of a shooters whims.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Enhanced 260 Rem? WRONG. The 260 holds more powder thus mathematically superior. The 6.5 C gets its juice from long for diameter bullets with a special rate of twist to stabilize. Why is it a runaway favorite? Easy. New shooters are sheep who enhance their creds with dollars toys, not time and experience. Is it a great round? Sure. Would I suggest it over others, again sure. Given the array of guns in every price range, as well as ammo choices, low recoil, what's not to like. Would I give up my 7-08 for one? Not till the animals I shoot tell me to. Would like to add that as much as I love my 7-08 you have never heard me praise it by badmouthing someone else's choice. Seen a ton of deer shot with everything under the sun and the only time I could tell something different was used was a deer shot head on at about 150 yds with a 150 grain deer season xp (Winchester) from a 300 WSM. What a nasty mess.
            Last edited by dewman; 09-24-2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

We have an immense number of great cartridges from .223 Rem to 50 BMG. They are all capable of killing a deer effectively at 100 yards. Therefore I don't consider that much of a differenter. I do however find it interesting to see new cartridge additions annually. I also enjoy seeing another year of survival for our great ones.

I really like all the Creedmoors for long range shooting. I've made excellent 1000 yard precision rifles in 6mm Creedmoor, 25 Creedmoor, and 6.5 Creedmoor. They get to that range faster than just about all other cartridges and with such low recoil that anyone can shoot them all day without developing a flinch. The 25 CM is my favorite for most purposes. Although it is fast and hard hitting, it stays supersonic about 300-400 yards longer than the other two with superb accuracy. The difference between the CMs and most other cartridges is the shorter case that allows the long, heavy for caliber bullets to fit in the magazine and the light recoil for such a heavy hitter. However, any heavy for caliber bullet in a fast twist barrel will produce similar results. We just haven't seen many of them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                Enhanced 260 Rem? WRONG. The 260 holds more powder thus mathematically superior. The 6.5 C gets its juice from long for diameter bullets with a special rate of twist to stabilize. Why is it a runaway favorite? Easy. New shooters are sheep who enhance their creds with dollars toys, not time and experience. Is it a great round? Sure. Would I suggest it over others, again sure. Given the array of guns in every price range, as well as ammo choices, low recoil, what's not to like. Would I give up my 7-08 for one? Not till the animals I shoot tell me to. Would like to add that as much as I love my 7-08 you have never heard me praise it by badmouthing someone else's choice. Seen a ton of deer shot with everything under the sun and the only time I could tell something different was used was a deer shot head on at about 150 yds with a 150 grain deer season xp (Winchester) from a 300 WSM. What a nasty mess.
                More powder and velocity doesn't make a superior cartridge in of itself. The incremental improvement is in a case designed to hold a longer bullet without encroaching on the powder space.

I'm pretty sure you've never seen me badmouth anyone's choice of hunting cartridge. Whatever you want to use is your business. However, It's a constant that the 6.5 Creedmoor gets ill will on these pages and that's what I don't understand.
                Last edited by PigHunter; 09-24-2019, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Chizznit, PH, I'm not raining on the Creedmoor parade. Just like the AR debate debacle, what I never told anyone is that I actually have several of the danged things.

I'll even go so far as to admit it's an super accurate rifle. (Savage Model 10) But, so what? Accuracy is not all that important outside of the internet and between our ears. (Guess I'll have to look over my shoulder after saying that these days)

I was reading reviews of some really good hunting bullets. Absolute crackers, widely respected. Some dude gave them a bad review because they only shot .7 moa vs .4 moa for another brand. That's where we are these days?

Nobody really talks about hunting animals any more, only shooting animals. From a gazillion yards away. Whatever; guess I'm just a relic with my '06 ovah heah, as Dave would say. A 30-06 used to be THE deer rifle, and then they go and change the rules.

Actually, the smallest rifle I hunt with these days is a 308...maybe I'm a masochist or a sadochist, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                    Chizznit, PH, I'm not raining on the Creedmoor parade. Just like the AR debate debacle, what I never told anyone is that I actually have several of the danged things.

I'll even go so far as to admit it's an super accurate rifle. (Savage Model 10) But, so what? Accuracy is not all that important outside of the internet and between our ears. (Guess I'll have to look over my shoulder after saying that these days)

I was reading reviews of some really good hunting bullets. Absolute crackers, widely respected. Some dude gave them a bad review because they only shot .7 moa vs .4 moa for another brand. That's where we are these days?

Nobody really talks about hunting animals any more, only shooting animals. From a gazillion yards away. Whatever; guess I'm just a relic with my '06 ovah heah, as Dave would say. A 30-06 used to be THE deer rifle, and then they go and change the rules.

Actually, the smallest rifle I hunt with these days is a 308...maybe I'm a masochist or a sadochist, or something.
                    I hunted deer with five different rifles last season. Most of the time it was with an AR in .300 BLK with a supersonic load. I killed one deer close up with a suppressed AR in .300 BLK using subsonic loads. A couple of times I carried the 6.5 CM but didn't see shootable game. A couple more times I hunted with a single-shot .45-70 Handi and dropped a coyote, One day was with a muzzleloader.

200 yards would be a long shot for me, most of mine are 60 yards or less.

Comment

All the hype about the 6.5 this and that reminds me of the WSM and other short fat darling cartridges a few years ago. Man, if you didn’t have one, you were Neanderthal. All that BS was just to sell rifles, ammo, and components not to enhance the hunting and shooting experience. Nothing has changed! Happy Trails

Comment

I hear you WAM, and what you say is true. However, there's nothing wrong with trying new cartridges and the 6.5's are more than adequate for hunting.

In the early 90's, my late friend and mentor in the shooting sports had a sporterized Swedish Mauser that he used as his primary Whitetail rifle. He let me shoot it a few times when we were sighting-in for deer season. I was impressed with the light recoil of the 6.5x55 and intrigued by the long bullets with their high SD and BC.

Fast forward 25+ years and I'm standing at the Simmons Sporting Goods gun counter, looking at a Ruger American on sale. The 6.5 CM was the only available caliber. Hmmm, not the 6.5x55 but close enough not to matter. So, I bought it and have no regrets. Don't really give a damn about the hype. But, without the hype how would we learn about new items and methods?

I think much of the animosity towards the 6.5 CM is the same as what geezers have said on these pages whenever something new comes along. Case in point, just go back 10 years and you'll find posts where some here were resistant to having a cell phone or any other electronics in the field.

In any case, it was great to see your post WAM
                        Last edited by PigHunter; 09-25-2019, 09:42 AM.

Comment

The same thing with bullets. My Buddy and I were talking the other day about deer hunting. He said he didn't know how we killed deer with plain old Sierra Gamekings or Prohunters over the last 50 years. Then it came out that we needed all these new bullets or we couldn't kill deer. It is amazing how the media can make people think and spend their hard earned money.

Comment

My first car was a 1968 Rambler American. I’d love to have it back but in no way would want it as my daily driver.

I’ve never read an article that said old gear wouldn’t work.

Edit to add:
                            I don’t have a dog in the fight, but here’s the thing Sarge. By your logic you shouldn’t need the .300wsm if you already have a .308Win. In fact I could make the argument that your new fangled.308 is much inferior to the proven old 270Win. But I’d be a fool to do so.

Last edited by fitch270; 09-25-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

"... But I’d be a fool to do so. ..."

Many things you may be sir, but a "fool", I don't think , one of them! LOL!
                              How about, "It would be foolish to do so!"?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Season ends
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                Today, 10:39 PM
                              • Season ends
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                Today, 12:41 AM
                              • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by Sarge01
                                If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                                Today, 10:26 PM
                              • Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Virginia legislature has dropped it’s AR-15 confiscation ruling. They have now stated those who presently own these weapons can continue to do so,...
                                Today, 05:33 PM
                              • Reply to Pet Peeves
                                by fitch270
                                My boy does the "I mean" thing quite often, usually when he's trying to think of how to explain something. I have no idea where he got it from,...
                                Today, 10:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X