Do You Use An Abrasive ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Use An Abrasive ?

A article in TFB talks about throat erosion. Author says a chrome molly barrel surface roughens like sandpaper with the effects of the powder flame (stainless surface cracks) The use of a abrasive would work to smooth the steel again and slow the progression of erosion. Anybody use an abrasive to smooth their chamber ? There are compounds available and coated bullets that you load and shoot through the barrel. I routinely use JB non-embedding bore paste on all my barrels. Stainless uses a different JB paste. Seems to keep them shooting straight. I wonder if all powders burn at similar temperatures ? Some have said the shape of the powder kernel affects throat erosion.
    Double base powders do burn hotter, not sure about duration. Any comments ?
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-21-2019, 10:59 AM.

I shoot a lot of overbore cartridges like the 22-6mm, 6mm Creedmoor, 25-06, .300 Dakota, etc. These tend to leave a ceramic-like carbon deposit in the front of the throat and in the first few inches of the bore. Regular carbon and copper solvents do not remove this hard carbon build up. Through a bore scope, it looks like dark grey alligator hide and you are sure your barrel is cooked. I scrub this area with a metal cleaner called Semichrome and the barrel/throat look like new again. That is until they are really completely eroded after lots of shooting.

Symptoms that tell me I need to remove this carbon buildup are:

1. High pressure signs on a normally good load. The thick carbon build up in the throat begins to squeeze the neck brass into the bullet causing extremely high pressure (blown primers, ejector marks on the brass, etc.)

2. Inaccuracy. The rifle used to shoot bug holes and now it's shooting three inch groups. Long range precision is especially impaired with bullet deformation.

3. Visual appearance of crackled throat/bore within a few inches of the chamber.

Comment

And here I thought I was abrasive enough

Comment

Yeah, I do use an Abrasive.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
          by 99explorer
          Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
          When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
          Today, 07:29 PM
        • Give them all they need ...
          by jhjimbo
          I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
          10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
        • Reply to Snapshot
          by FirstBubba
          Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
          I've never carried over about $1500.
          Today, 07:27 PM
        • Snapshot
          by jhjimbo
          What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
          I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
          Yesterday, 04:28 PM
        • Reply to Snapshot
          by PigHunter
          "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
          Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X