New Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gun

Surprise, surprise, surprise, I received a call from the local fire dept and I won a Deltron AR 15 at their gun bash today. I was never going to buy one but I guess I now have one to play with. It seems really well made and the reviews are all positive.

Always a nice feeling to win something. I have won two Club drawings, a Browning Gold shotgun and a Ruger handgun.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
      Surprise, surprise, surprise, I received a call from the local fire dept and I won a Deltron AR 15 at their gun bash today. I was never going to buy one but I guess I now have one to play with. It seems really well made and the reviews are all positive.
      Flat top or carry handle?
      Scoped or iron sights?
      Scope or "red dot" sight?

I suppose the biggest decision you have to make is what basic "purpose" you may have for it.

They are excellent for varmints out to two or three hundred yards.
      They are awesome "range plinkers" if that fills a niche.
      The also can be excellent "house guns" too.
      Even though I don't suggest it, lots of guys use them to deer hunt and for beginners guns!
      Most states they ARE legal.
      .22 caliber centerfire.

Find out what ammo it likes best THEN decide what you want to do with it.

Grandkids? Kids? They love 'em!
      What a great way to introduce a kid to firearms!
      Little to no recoil and an adjustable stock.
      Yes, you can load them to shoot one at a time.
      I live in a rural area, I find myself more and more reaching for an AR when the wife asks, "Did you hear that?"

Congrats!
      Enjoy!

P.S. - search around online, you can find 5, 10, 20, 30 round and higher cap mags.

www.gunmagwarehouse.com
      Last edited by FirstBubba; 09-14-2019, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Flat top or carry handle?
        Scoped or iron sights?
        Scope or "red dot" sight?

I suppose the biggest decision you have to make is what basic "purpose" you may have for it.

They are excellent for varmints out to two or three hundred yards.
        They are awesome "range plinkers" if that fills a niche.
        The also can be excellent "house guns" too.
        Even though I don't suggest it, lots of guys use them to deer hunt and for beginners guns!
        Most states they ARE legal.
        .22 caliber centerfire.

Find out what ammo it likes best THEN decide what you want to do with it.

Grandkids? Kids? They love 'em!
        What a great way to introduce a kid to firearms!
        Little to no recoil and an adjustable stock.
        Yes, you can load them to shoot one at a time.
        I live in a rural area, I find myself more and more reaching for an AR when the wife asks, "Did you hear that?"

Congrats!
        Enjoy!

P.S. - search around online, you can find 5, 10, 20, 30 round and higher cap mags.

www.gunmagwarehouse.com
        It is a flattop and I have a scope to mount on it, I just need high rings for it. Probably used to take to camp and on 4-wheeler for critters, no deer hunting with this one, I reserve my 300WSM for that. I said I would never buy one and I am not real enthused about winning it. It may become trading material I haven't decided yet.

Comment

Pop the pins and change upper for deer.
          .300 BO or .350 Legend.

Comment

It is a flattop and I have a scope to mount on it, I just need high rings for it. Probably used to take to camp and on 4-wheeler for critters, no deer hunting with this one, I reserve my 300WSM for that. I said I would never buy one and I am not real enthused about winning it. It may become trading material I haven't decided yet.
            I think if you will play with it just a little, you'll find it a welcome and handy addition to your "arsenal".

I take that back sarge01, I'd give that AR a workout!
            I'd hate to see you pass on it without giving it a honest assessment.
            Last edited by FirstBubba; 09-14-2019, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Sarge, for years I said the same. Then I got one and realized how much I like the platform. I have both 5.56 and .300 Blackout uppers and have killed two bucks with the .300 BLK. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to kill pigs with it too. Let us know how you like it after you've had a chance to work in range time.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Sarge, for years I said the same. Then I got one and realized how much I like the platform. I have both 5.56 and .300 Blackout uppers and have killed two bucks with the .300 BLK. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to kill pigs with it too. Let us know how you like it after you've had a chance to work in range time.
                The only thing I hunt anymore is turkeys ,which I use my shotgun or .22 Hornet for or deer which I use my 300WSM or .308. I have a short barreled Mossberg Patriot in 22-250 that I use for my knock around gun on my 4-wheeler or my truck going in to camp in case I see a coyote. You have heard me before when I say there are two kinds of rifles, bolt actions and all the others. My Son who is an Iraq veteran is trying to buy the AR from me and I may let him.

Comment

The only thing I hunt anymore is turkeys ,which I use my shotgun or .22 Hornet for or deer which I use my 300WSM or .308. I have a short barreled Mossberg Patriot in 22-250 that I use for my knock around gun on my 4-wheeler or my truck going in to camp in case I see a coyote. You have heard me before when I say there are two kinds of rifles, bolt actions and all the others. My Son who is an Iraq veteran is trying to buy the AR from me and I may let him.
                  Sounds like a frankfurter to me!
                  ...and that's a real "weiner"! (winner!) LOL!

I've used a Hornet for turkeys! Works like a champ, but the 5.56/.223 should stretch the range considerably with less "Kentucky windage".
                  Last edited by FirstBubba; 09-15-2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Well my Son is the proud owner of new AR-15. I sweetened the price with 12 boxes 0f 223's a black nylon strap and an AR-15 case. ( The price was almost like stealing it) He said that was a very good deal. He has been wanting one because he carried one in Alaska and Iraq. I have been getting rid of firearms that I don't really use and giving them to the Grandsons. I would rather see them use them now rather than getting after I die.

Comment

Well my Son is the proud owner of new AR-15. I sweetened the price with 12 boxes 0f 223's a black nylon strap and an AR-15 case. ( The price was almost like stealing it) He said that was a very good deal. He has been wanting one because he carried one in Alaska and Iraq. I have been getting rid of firearms that I don't really use and giving them to the Grandsons. I would rather see them use them now rather than getting after I die.
                      Very commendable sarge01! I applaud you!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Very commendable sarge01! I applaud you!
                        Ditto Sarge, my applause is for you also ! I envy you for having someone to give your ‘things’ to ! All the things that have meant so much to me through the years have no one to go to and I don’t know what to do with them. Have been thinking about giving them to certain users here, but do not know how to go about it !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

Ditto Sarge, my applause is for you also ! I envy you for having someone to give your ‘things’ to ! All the things that have meant so much to me through the years have no one to go to and I don’t know what to do with them. Have been thinking about giving them to certain users here, but do not know how to go about it !
                          I am fortunate to have 2 sons and 2 daughters and several grandsons and granddaughters to leave my prize posessions to.

Comment

Excellent move with the AR because it sounds like your son will enjoy it more. In a few years I'll get rid of most of my firearms as I downsize into retirement. My goal is to give them to selected children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. I'll probably end up with with the 6.5 Creedmoor as my only bolt-action, 12ga as my only shotgun, 9mm as my only handgun, and an AR-15.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
                              by 99explorer
                              Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                              When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                              Today, 07:29 PM
                            • Give them all they need ...
                              by jhjimbo
                              I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                              10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
                            • Reply to Snapshot
                              by FirstBubba
                              Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
                              I've never carried over about $1500.
                              Today, 07:27 PM
                            • Snapshot
                              by jhjimbo
                              What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                              I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                              Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                            • Reply to Snapshot
                              by PigHunter
                              "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
                              Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X