Range report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range report

Went to a friend’s today with my FIL and the boy to get a little more trigger time in. My FIL’s Ruger American is working well again, one other thing he’s learning about the rifle is that the mag needs to be firmly snapped into place or he’s going to have trouble. We got him dialed in better using some Remington ammo and a Lead Sled to the point that he has confidence in the rifle. He’s planning to keep shooting often but just a few groups each time. I sort of suggested taking his .22 with him to deal with some flinching.

The boy shot a few through his 7-08, results were about like usual. One thing I had him try was using his .222 offhand at 100. He put three into about 5” impressing the heck out of his grandfather. I had him on the bench with that one as well. The old Weaver scope definitely needs to be replaced, but he’s decided he likes the fine crosshairs for precision work. Probably we’ll find a wider style duplex with a thin center wire. The new Hawke I bought is like that and he likes it.

I didn’t shoot a lot, started out using two rounds of Hornady American Whitetail at an old cast iron pan hanging at 200 yards. I wanted to foul the clean barrel before trying a group. Connected both shots.
    After that I shot the last two 130 Grain Barnes TTSX loads that were left from our last session, and three rounds from a new box of Winchester Premium with 140gr Nosler Accubonds. The pic is the five shot group from 100 yards. Just eyeballing it I’d say it’s about 1.5 moa 2.5” high. When we left the last trip I thought it was about 3” high at 100 with a 200 yard zero but the big targets we used didn’t have anything to use for reference and we didn’t measure. We still need to burn some ammo, but I’m happy with the results we’re getting. Our league shoots start next weekend so that will help as well. The Accubonds BC numbers are having me second guess the TTSX’s some but it looks like it may not matter.
    Last edited by fitch270; 09-08-2019, 09:28 PM.

Awesone shooting.

If the boy likes the old Weaver, don't retire it.
    Send it here!

https://ironsightinc.com/

Ninety percent of antiquated Weaver scopes need only to be cleaned, new seals and be recharged.
    If it's an El Paso, Texas scope with a steel tube, it will NEVER wear out.

I understand turn-a-round is about a year. Slow but worth the wait to resurrect an old warrior.
    I think he's a bit pricey, but when he gets through, you can't buy the quality scope you get back for the money you pay for repairs.
    Sadly, a rebuilt Weaver market value isn't worth the cost of repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      Awesone shooting.

If the boy likes the old Weaver, don't retire it.
      Send it here!

https://ironsightinc.com/

Ninety percent of antiquated Weaver scopes need only to be cleaned, new seals and be recharged.
      If it's an El Paso, Texas scope with a steel tube, it will NEVER wear out.

I understand turn-a-round is about a year. Slow but worth the wait to resurrect an old warrior.
      I think he's a bit pricey, but when he gets through, you can't buy the quality scope you get back for the money you pay for repairs.
      Sadly, a rebuilt Weaver market value isn't worth the cost of repairs.
      It is a steel tube 3-9 power with A/O, I'm guessing it's a 40mm objective but maybe smaller. We've discussed having it redone but the glass has what appears to be bubbles in spots, one rather large. Lens coatings coming off maybe? I still have the almost new Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 AO scope I just took off the 22-.250, but the crosshairs seem too thick for this rifle after using the Weaver and the Hawke that's now on my 788. I'm pretty sure I'll sell the Vortex.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

It is a steel tube 3-9 power with A/O, I'm guessing it's a 40mm objective but maybe smaller. We've discussed having it redone but the glass has what appears to be bubbles in spots, one rather large. Lens coatings coming off maybe? I still have the almost new Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 AO scope I just took off the 22-.250, but the crosshairs seem too thick for this rifle after using the Weaver and the Hawke that's now on my 788. I'm pretty sure I'll sell the Vortex.
        Iron Sight Inc will work on it. Unless you request refinishing the outside, they only redo the "guts".
        fitch270, you'll think you're looking through a brand spanking new scope.
        If you decide not to hang on to it, let me know.

Comment

There are different Weaver models of AO.
          The older ones have horizontal grooves around the adj objective.
          The later ones have a couple knurled rings.
          I don't think mine in '78 was a "Steel Lite".
          But it had knurled rings.
          IIRC 105 bucks new at Service Merchandise.

The gal I ended up marrying in '90 worked there then and may have handed it over the desk.
          I was getting a scope for my 660.........didn't care about wimmins.

I should stuck w rifles all along.

That redhead cost me a lot of money down the road.

On the Weaver repair, think the warranty for the work is 6 months.
          I was looking for an old one, to redo..........on a vintage rifle.
          Put me into used Leupold price. So no go.

But if one already has a Weaver, then of course it's just repair cost.
          Plus keeping the history alive.......may be worth the cost.

Comment

Glad the RAR is back in action!

Have not messed with one enough, bud has one in .450 and a Magpul stock.
            It's a bumper jack, cool.........and he hasn't shot it yet. Told him to just let me break it in!

So...........with that yet to happen, I have no exp w the RAR magazine issue.
            BUT...............I really dig the Steyr Pro hunters mag w dual clips.
            It locks secure, w ease.
            And should stay in until purposefully removed.

The rifle however is a pig. Comfy to shoot due to weight, but no way a walking rifle.
            There I think a RAR would whip it bad.

I did drive about an hr to go look at that old #1A in .30-06 that has been sitting forever at a gunshop. Decided to heck with it. Had a horrible week, worse weekend and a new to me rifle would cheer me up.

It was gone.

On way home stuck in traffic jam or sorts, for 30 min.

That p*ssed me off bad enough I need two new rifles!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	109FF2AD-D4C2-491C-994C-ED70D3A4F300.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	714035Click image for larger version

Name:	CC58144D-52F5-48FC-AC01-18807AB002B7.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	714036Click image for larger version

Name:	AABD74CE-A247-4422-AE85-A13F4F42B162.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	714037 Here’s a few pics of the scope, it looks a bit off with the plastic stock lol.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                Glad the RAR is back in action!

Have not messed with one enough, bud has one in .450 and a Magpul stock.
                It's a bumper jack, cool.........and he hasn't shot it yet. Told him to just let me break it in!

So...........with that yet to happen, I have no exp w the RAR magazine issue.
                BUT...............I really dig the Steyr Pro hunters mag w dual clips.
                It locks secure, w ease.
                And should stay in until purposefully removed.

The rifle however is a pig. Comfy to shoot due to weight, but no way a walking rifle.
                There I think a RAR would whip it bad.

I did drive about an hr to go look at that old #1A in .30-06 that has been sitting forever at a gunshop. Decided to heck with it. Had a horrible week, worse weekend and a new to me rifle would cheer me up.

It was gone.

On way home stuck in traffic jam or sorts, for 30 min.

That p*ssed me off bad enough I need two new rifles!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Apparently the extractors are rugged on the RAR’s! I can see the popularity of these rifles but don’t see me buying one. Think I’m done with the economy stuff.

Here’s to a better week🍺

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

There is a guy in Missouri that works on Weavers. You can find him doing a search. I had some ex Weaver employees in El Paso do a couple steel tubes for me years ago but I don't think they do it any more. If you have a source of Nitrogen you can re purge it your self. Basically, hold the scope vertical and let nitrogen flow up and into the tube - it will displace most all of the other gasses in there.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wanna be a NYC cop?
                    by FirstBubba
                    My eldest started life as a jailer.
                    Natural progression was CLEET, city cop, county deputy, state police.
                    "I'm tired of getting beat...
                    Today, 06:00 PM
                  • Wanna be a NYC cop?
                    by FirstBubba
                    How do large metro areas ever recruit new LEO's?

https://www.redstate.com/alexparker/...-career-crimin...
                    Today, 04:02 PM
                  • Reply to Racism ??
                    by jhjimbo
                    99, I think I saw something about a contest in an e-mail. Always creates a lot of interest....
                    Today, 05:57 PM
                  • Racism ??
                    by jhjimbo
                    Every other word on TV is racism. My take on racism is everybody is, to one degree or another, a racist. My empirical evidence is every where you look....
                    09-14-2019, 06:02 PM
                  • Reply to Racism ??
                    by jhjimbo
                    Reparation's for slaves but then a deduction for room and board they received. Also, reparation's to the ancestors of Union soldiers who fought for the...
                    Today, 05:50 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X